JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2348 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

How very horrific, sister..We have been watching on the news! You and the friends there will be in our prayers. We recently fled our mobile home because of hurricane Irma here in Florida..We know the feeling, but we had several days to prepare.  Our home was spared with minor damage, so I can't imagine your situation. We are older and infirm..but whatever trials Jehovah allows, he will help us endure. We all will most likely lose all material assets eventually. I think what makes a difference is heeding Jehovah's reminders to simplify our lives to have fewer distractions in our main focus..reaching those favorably disposed to the Bible's message! We witnessed informally while at our motel..had some good experiences using our "pocket letters" that we always carry with us. :lol:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

1 hour ago, EverlastingLifeInView said:

I live in Santa Rosa and the fires are insane. Where I live the fires were coming down the mountain literally 100 feet from our apartment complex, pretty sure we lost everything but we got out with our lives. The friends were quick to call and make sure we're all alright. 

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7506978-181/fires-break-out-across-sonoma

I didn't know you were so close to the fires. I woke up at 2:30 this morning and smelled smoke.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-napa-fires-20171009-story.html

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

There are also several fires in the Grass Valley and Penn Valley area, my sister is in Penn Valley and one sister in her congregation has lost her home. :(

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, SUNRAY said:

How very horrific, sister..We have been watching on the news! You and the friends there will be in our prayers. We recently fled our mobile home because of hurricane Irma here in Florida..We know the feeling, but we had several days to prepare.  Our home was spared with minor damage, so I can't imagine your situation. We are older and infirm..but whatever trials Jehovah allows, he will help us endure. We all will most likely lose all material assets eventually. I think what makes a difference is heeding Jehovah's reminders to simplify our lives to have fewer distractions in our main focus..reaching those favorably disposed to the Bible's message! We witnessed informally while at our motel..had some good experiences using our "pocket letters" that we always carry with us. :lol:

Yes everything in this system is temporary! We realise that even more now. If our home has burned down we have decided to simplify even more, work less, focus on the kingdom even more so, that is what matters, that is what's real. 

Edited by EverlastingLifeInView

The local Sheriff just tweeted an advisory warning to a rural area that is in our congregation territory.  Since the winds have died down I assume the risk is very low now.

Hi Sister Kelsey,

Thank you for informing us about what has happened to you and also for the updates in your area. Myself and I know everyone here feels very very bad for what happened to you and your husband. :(

I will make sure today to ask our Father to help you both to overcome this and to help you both with your wonderful goals that you mentioned.

A trial can often reveal a person's true spirituality, and your posts reveal to me that you have an outstanding attitude and spirituality to be able to immediately be focused on what you and your husband want to do for the future in simplifying your life to serve Him more fully despite just having suffered a tragedy! You could have easily been swallowed up by grief and despair, but you obviously are stronger spiritually than you may have realized! :superman:

Thank you also for being such a good example as many of us are also going to have trials and even severe trials in the future, some of us may lose our homes or receive direct persecution, but to endure for Jehovah with a shining hope like you have is my goal! :sunshine: 

What you stated here was beautiful:

"If our home has burned down we have decided to simplify even more, work less, focus on the kingdom even more so, that is what matters, that is what's real."

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

2 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Richard,

You said you could smell the smoke! Are the fires near your home also? 

I hope not. :(

The Atlas fire in Napa is about 25 miles upwind from us. Some friends in our congregation live in a rural area between me and the fire, they have been advised to evacuate. :(

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

The Atlas fire in Napa is about 25 miles upwind from us. Some friends in our congregation live in a rural area between me and the fire, they have been advised to evacuate. :(

Upwind is better than downwind, right?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

3 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Sister Kelsey,

Thank you for informing us about what has happened to you and also for the updates in your area. Myself and I know everyone here feels very very bad for what happened to you and your husband. :(

I will make sure today to ask our Father to help you both to overcome this and to help you both with your wonderful goals that you mentioned.

A trial can often reveal a person's true spirituality, and your posts reveal to me that you have an outstanding attitude and spirituality to be able to immediately be focused on what you and your husband want to do for the future in simplifying your life to serve Him more fully despite just having suffered a tragedy! You could have easily been swallowed up by grief and despair, but you obviously are stronger spiritually than you may have realized! :superman:

Thank you also for being such a good example as many of us are also going to have trials and even severe trials in the future, some of us may lose our homes or receive direct persecution, but to endure for Jehovah with a shining hope like you have is my goal! :sunshine: 

What you stated here was beautiful:

Brother Neil, you brought happy tears to my eyes. That encouraged me so. Looking forward to watching the broadcast tonight. 

42 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

No. It will blow toward us.

Oh, sorry, thought it was the opposite. Are you going to be alright then??

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

37 minutes ago, Dove said:

Oh, sorry, thought it was the opposite. Are you going to be alright then??

We are fine. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

My SIL has a niece in Santa Rosa that told her a KH was destroyed.  That has NOT been confirmed yet.

My cousin in Santa Rosa also confirmed a KH was destroyed in the fire. :(

10 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

My cousin in Santa Rosa also confirmed a KH was destroyed in the fire. :(

I know which one, it was right behind our apartment complex. And it's been confirmed, our apartment complex burned down, not even sticks, all ash and rubble. The devastation in Larkfield, Mark West, and Fountain Grove is astounding.

3 minutes ago, EverlastingLifeInView said:

I know which one, it was right behind our apartment complex. And it's been confirmed, our apartment complex burned down, not even sticks, all ash and rubble. The devastation in Larkfield, Mark West, and Fountain Grove is astounding.

Dear sister, I am sorry to hear about your home, yet your positive attitude is something to be admired in this terrible situation. My family and I recently experienced Irma and were displaced for only a couple of weeks. It is surely Jehovah that gives us strength to endure events like these. Thanks to the brotherhood we felt constantly cared for. My prayers are with you and all other brothers and sisters being affected. May Jehovah continue to comfort you and your husband.

19 minutes ago, alohapaulette said:

I was thinking what could possibly be worse than all those floods.  This is worse.

Bennett valley just had an earthquake and so did San Jose where we are right now. Makes me think of the AM, it could be harder for us before the GT