JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2348 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I'm sorry to hear you've been affected Kelsey.  Where are you staying?  Your family of brothers and sisters will swing into action and help you in ways you won't believe.  I lost my house to a house fire (your situation is different, with your neighbourhood and KH affected too).  The brothers and sisters helped me immensely!  You definitely have a great spirit thinking of what positives you can take from this devastation.  Keeping you in my prayers, sis.

One of the hugest physical blessings in the new system will not have to worry about fires, out of control. For me, anyway. I lost a sister and a niece and nephew in a house fire. It was a long time ago, but...

We live on a hill, and the tribe just did a major burn below our house. It was a professional job. Twenty five people were here. Such relief. I. So grateful.

But, this business in the Santa Rosa area. Terrifying. Just terrifying. And it is personal. We know our dear brothers and sisters have to had been effected. So many horrible things going on. Our prayers go out for them. Plus, just dig deeper in those pockets! And, continue to pray! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Living in Florida I have had to deal with the hurricane threat/devastation for most of my life. The difference is, usually, after the storm passes, though the damage can be immense, you can clean things up and get back to your life. With a fire ...... there is nothing left to clean up except for the ash and mess. Everything is gone - nothing is left that can be cleaned up and still used.  I think I would rather live through the hurricanes than the fires.

My heart goes out to all those in the path of the fires.

Prayers, prayers and more prayers.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Our CO is looking for homes to house some of the friends affected by the fires. My SGOA said 1000 friends have been displaced..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 10/9/2017 at 4:56 PM, Dove said:

Upwind is better than downwind, right?

This got me thinking.  It's not as simple as one would think.

To begin with, I found the following explanation:

When you walk into the wind (blowing into your face) you are upwind ( going against the wind). An airplane takes off upwind to get lift.

When you travel with the wind blowing on your back, you are downwind. In an airplane, it's a tailwind.

However, when hunting, the idea is to be downwind of the prey. This is so the prey won't pick up your scent, because the wind is blowing from the prey toward the hunter. That would mean the hunter is walking upwind, with the wind blowing into your face, and is downwind of the deer.

You wouldn't want to live in a house that's downwind of a livestock ranch, or dairy farm. You will have a nose-full of stank.

I  would have agreed with Dove when she asked, "Upwind is better than downwind, right"? Now I'm not sure. It seems you could be either upwind, downwind, or both.

Maybe someone can clear this up, it that's possible?

On a serious note, the fires are tragic for all concerned. Unfortunately, there's a red flag warning for Wednesday/Thursday. My own neighborhood burned down 10 years ago. You could Google it - Angora Fire 2007.

We will hope for a rapid conclusion to this disaster.

5 hours ago, Doug said:

My own neighborhood burned down 10 years ago. You could Google it - Angora Fire 2007.

I am sorry to hear that .... must have been very traumatic.

On a lighter thought .... I wondered where you lived since your location is listed as :

Doug

Brother
Douglas
CA/NV border

I was trying to figure out just where Canada and Nevada shared a border - now, had this said CA/NV State Line, I would have understood right away that the CA, in this case, was California :wall:

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

On a lighter thought .... I wondered where you lived since your

I was trying to figure out just where Canada and Nevada shared a border - now, had this said CA/NV State Line, I would have understood right away that the CA, in this case, was California :wall:

I can tell that you aren't a Californian.

We are perfectly happy calling it a border. :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Your'e right, I am in Florida and we call the division between us and Georgia and/or Alabama a State Line - it even has that on the signs when you go from one State to the other Arizona.jpg.78eb81d7f4030dc29f5304a243bcdd16.jpgGeorgia.jpg.394a8cb8bf49943720dee28b387f03c1.jpgColumbia.jpg.93ff33873f0bc303a27238305b494f89.jpgEscambia.jpg.06841c165e4bbca9b56b743a65282da6.jpg

Something of interest to those who are not familiar with California's border crossings. You will be stopped and questioned when coming into the state. If they don't like your answers you car will be inspected (searched). You can cross Europe with out being stopped, not so when entering California. The state line is an agricultural border, with inspection procedure. :D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

27 minutes ago, Old said:

The state line is an agricultural border, with inspection procedure. 

The Florida state line is also an agriculture inspection area .... they are very protective of the plant life, especially citrus!

But, it is still called a "State Line", not a "Border" - but then, the "Border" between Florida and the nearest foreign countries is 90 miles of the Gulf of Mexico, not a road or land mass.

Just now, campanula said:

Are you ready to flee?

Pretty much. I doubt it will reach my house, we are in a residential area and there is a freeway next to us. The winds are shifting the fire toward us but the wind hopefully isn't strong enough to cause the fire to sweep through the residential area and jump the freeway like it did in Santa Rosa. 

I happened to be updating my To Go bags last week so I have everything ready just in case. 

56 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Back on topic .....

I have not seen any posts from Richard lately - Did he have to evacuate?

No, we are still here. Yesterday they issued an Advisory for almost the entire area west of us but they haven't issued anything for our neighborhood yet. 

Yesterday the wind shifted from the west to the north which is bad news for the fire fighter but it kept the fire from coming toward us and has cleared away a lot of the smoke.

Yesterday the COBE asked me to assist a handicapped sister from Calistoga that was going to stay with a sister in our congregation that had offered her home to evacuees. A brother and sister from Calistoga were dropping her off before they went to stay with relatives in Sacramento. The brother told me that all of the friends in Calistoga decided to evacuate and he was one of the last ones to leave. Last night there was a mandatory evacuation order for the whole town of Calistoga (pop 5100) so the friends were smart to get out early.

The brother said they staged at a brothers winery and then left the area. http://www.allorawines.com/history.html

I've known brother Klein for years and work with his son at the AH.

Edited by Tortuga

Just now, hatcheckgirl said:

Thank you Richard for updating us.  Glad you are ok, and helping out with the brothers and sisters at the front.  Any news from Kelsey?

I PM her the day she evacuated, she and her husband were safe but lost everything. She said she has relatives in the area that she can stay with.

I`m so sorry for what is happening all over the world. It seems there are no quiet places where to live anymore. The GT seems closer each day that passes. To the brothers in the affected area: May Jehovah give you the strenght and endurance and a quick recovery.

Agape

Typically we would be updated on containment;  10% - 30% - etc.

I have seen no such updates. This is literally out- of- control.

Cal Fire is throwing everything they can at this. Outside agencies pitching in as well.