JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2325 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Oh wow! That does look very strange!

I've never seen trees left still standing after fires here in Australia.  Our Eucalypt trees' leaves have a high oil content.  Maybe it also has to do with the type of trees, and how they burn?

Like many plants native to fire-prone regions, eucalyptus trees (aka gum trees in Australia) are adapted to survive — or even thrive — in a wildfire. Fallen eucalyptus leaves create dense carpets of flammable material, and the trees' bark peels off in long streamers that drop to the ground, providing additional fuel that draws ground fires up into the leaves, creating massive, fast-spreading "crown fires" in the upper story of eucalyptus forests.

Additionally, the eucalyptus oil that gives the trees their characteristic spicy fragrance is a flammable oil: This oil, combined with leaf litter and peeling bark during periods of dry, windy weather, can turn a small ground fire into a terrifying, explosive firestorm in a matter of minutes. That's why eucalyptus trees — especially the blue gums (Eucalyptus globulus) that are common throughout New South Wales — are sometimes referred to wryly as "gasoline trees."

California isn't doing itself any favours having these trees in their forests:

The fires are finding fuel in Australia's eucalyptus forests, which many experts blame for feeding wildfires that have blazed through the hills of California and other places where eucalyptus trees — native to Australia but now found throughout the world — have spread as an invasive species.

https://www.livescience.com/40583-australia-wildfires-eucalyptus-trees-bushfires.html

2 hours ago, SusanE said:

So, here's a picture of all the trees still standing, but houses incinerated.

This was the question I asked ~~> Has anyone noticed or Can anyone here please explain how there are green trees still surrounding residences/area w/out being burned? 

Qapla's response - "This fire is moving at a speed that something that is green enough will not dry enough to burn before the fire has moved on."

Does anyone not find this strange?  There were also plastic mailboxes that weren't affected.59e66b41ee962_Firepic.jpg.5b9d04da8e19579bf3e5a27ed82e60e4.jpg

Not strange at all. The wild fires in Oregon we saw first hand just last month where hundreds of acres of timberland burned. Most of what i saw only burnt the underbrush and left the green part of the tree green. One can't really see the damage to the trees from the air.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

We woke up one night to our neighbor's garage engulfed in flames, and embers raining down all over our forest and landing on our house, when we lived in Washington. It was a really weird feeling, because all we could do was wait for a fire to start on our property with the garden hose, but thankfully none ever did. We couldn't believe it, and were very careful after that to keep the forest floor as cleared of dead limbs as we could. After they logged the hillside behind our property, the winds were unabated and kept blowing down our trees, so it was an unending job keeping it cleared. Rocket is right, it's the underbrush that burns, and there was none in that photo, since it was all parking lot and grass. Here are some photos of them logging, and what we had to go through to clean up the blow downs.

Logged 4.JPG

Logged.JPG

Logged 5.JPG

Flammable roofing,Wooden decks ... Wood or plastic  siding and wood or plastic  soffits are huge sources of ignition. Even debris in eve troughs collect embers and burn the fascia and up in flames goes the roof.

Most houses and buildings are poorly engineered when it comes to falling embers. 

If they engineered buildings for fire the way they do for water penetration we would not be having this issue.. We expect it to rain water not firey embers.. 

There is a good program on 60 Minutes called “ In the path of fire”. Everyone in  fire prone areas should watch it and apply it.. it is recommended watching by the NFPA .

So if someone is looking for a conspiracy blame it on cheap wood as a form of exterior cladding .. . After all we have to blame someone ..those sneaky beavers ;)

Edited by Lance

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

So if someone is looking for a conspiracy blame it on cheap wood as a form of exterior cladding .. . After all we have to blame someone ..those sneaky beavers ;)

My nephew lives right on the edge of the Lobo fire in Penn Valley and had to evacuate. He said his house exterior is oil treated cedar :o and he wasn't expecting it to survive but the flames stopped at the edge of his yard.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 10/17/2017 at 7:21 AM, bobby said:

We had are first Sunday meeting we had lark fild with us and this wed we are all going to go

The  fare field  hall

Bobby, I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you were going to the AH for your CA but I learned tonight that the Branch reps are meeting with all of the friends that were directly affected by the fires and they are meeting at the AH tonight. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 10/17/2017 at 8:08 PM, Tortuga said:

My nephew lives right on the edge of the Lobo fire in Penn Valley and had to evacuate. He said his house exterior is oil treated cedar :o and he wasn't expecting it to survive but the flames stopped at the edge of his yard.

I missed that,  somehow,  in the famtext. 

I remember when Trex deck first came on the market,  the reps were making all those wild claims,  'it'll last 200 years, garentee'...(I wonder who did that test?..lol)

It's 40% wood, the rest, plastic. The first couple of times welding near it we found out fast that it melts pretty easily, and burns hot and fast. I hate the stuff....

I also have a back deck made out of it, and painted. If the woods behind us ever go up, I'm not even gonna turn around and watch...

This short (30 seconds) video is exactly what my next door neighbor had with his deck, he got them to replace some of it. Mine isn't quite this bad, it has a little better paint job, I guess? ..

Edited by tekmantwo

13 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Bobby, I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you were going to the AH for your CA but I learned tonight that the Branch reps are meeting with all of the friends that were directly affected by the fires and they are meeting at the AH tonight. 

no worry's  

ended up missing most of it and the traffic go there didn't help  

Edited by bobby

9 minutes ago, bobby said:

no worry's  

ended up missing most of it and the traffic go there didn't help  

I'm sorry you missed some of it. Can you tell us about it?

Edited by Tortuga

On 10/15/2017 at 7:16 AM, Qapla said:

This fire is moving at a speed that something that is green enough will not dry enough to burn before the fire has moved on.

but depending on the directions of the wind, and the behaviour of the fires, the fire may start fuel seeking and turn back..  we seen this behaviour in the ft. mcmurray fire.  :wacko:

2 minutes ago, Qapla said:

@cerebral ecstasy

While this is true, the question was how it could go past without burning the green - not, could it turn back and get it later

True enough.  Thanks for putting me in my place... I'll go back to the kitchen now :P  my comment was more of an add on to yours, not a correction of it. 

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

I feel so much for all those impacted by this, I know how everyone scrambles during these times, but I do love how well organized and how caring our brothers who take the lead on these things are.  Our CO mentioned that he keeps the LDC's in his prayers all the time because of the number of devastation's occurring.   I've started adding them to mine too.  I was in Santa Rosa in Dec 2016, I'm glad I got to see the surrounding area before it was burned :( what a loss.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

6 hours ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

Our CO mentioned that he keeps the LDC's in his prayers all the time because of the number of devastation's occurring.   I've started adding them to mine too.

Agreed. I pray for the ones that were affected by the recent disasters and I pray for everyone that is helping those affected by the disasters..

21 hours ago, bobby said:

the part i came into the bro was reviewing the Awake  When Disaster Strikes—Steps That Can Save Lives 

I heard that Gary Breaux was at the AH and the entire thing was video recorded, I hope that means it will be part of a broadcast one day...

On 10/19/2017 at 4:21 PM, Qapla said:

@cerebral ecstasy

While this is true, the question was how it could go past without burning the green - not, could it turn back and get it later

Are the young green trees full of water?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

38°29'49.3"N 122°44'27.6"W

https://goo.gl/maps/tf97J1Hk3GB2

Google maps has updated their satellite maps and you can see the fire destruction. This link shows the KH site..

35 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

38°29'49.3"N 122°44'27.6"W

https://goo.gl/maps/tf97J1Hk3GB2

Google maps has updated their satellite maps and you can see the fire destruction. This link shows the KH site..

Can't get an updated satellite view on my Google maps.

Tried updating my app.

Sure was a beautiful community before the fire, though. :(

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

2 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Can't get an updated satellite view on my Google maps.

Tried updating my app.

Sure was a beautiful community before the fire, though. :(

I could see all of the after fire views but the link doesn't show the same satellite view. Strange.

Try pasting the GPS coordinates straight into Google Maps..