JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How do English speaking brothers and sisters outside the US feel about watching jw videos with an American accent

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1154 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The one that drives me scratty is Warick. We in the UK pronounce it Wa rik while our “friends” in the US pronounce in War-Wik . We basically ignore the r . It was even mentioned when we had a Branch Visit a couple of years ago much to our amusement.

Richard

Just now, hatcheckgirl said:

Brother Richard,

(digressing just a tich here) Is Derbyshire is pronounced "Darbyshire" or "Derbyshire"?

I lived in Yorkshire for more then 10 years and wanted or not, have learnt Yorkshire English with its Yorkshire accent. :D 

11 hours ago, Stavro said:

Friends are people you choose to be close to. Brothers and sisters (and other family members) are people you cannot choose, and often are not close to.

11 hours ago, jwhess said:

the Bible agrees:

Proverbs 18:24…”But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.”

ahh, but...

Matt.12:50  "For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, that one is my brother and sister and mother"

11 hours ago, Stavro said:

Friends are people you choose to be close to. Brothers and sisters (and other family members) are people you cannot choose, and often are not close to.

11 hours ago, jwhess said:

the Bible agrees:

Proverbs 18:24…”But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.”

ahh, but...

Matt.12:50  "For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, that one is my brother and sister and mother"

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Brother Richard,

(digressing just a tich here) Is Derbyshire is pronounced "Darbyshire" or "Derbyshire"?

It’s correct pronunciation is darbysher .

During the Miners Strike we had a big influx of ‘Southern’ police and they were issued with translation leaflets so they could understand the locals .

Ey Up r u all rate youth (even if they are well past 60.) is a normal greeting.

It’s hard not to lapse into too much of an accent while on the platform as I now live about 40 miles from where I grew up and it’s a much more neutral accent. Although I still say something like “We are now go in t sing a song”  or “ Jesus whent T Temple” while on the platform.

Richard

With South Africa being such a diverse country, we deal with a variety of accents each and every day so it has never really bothered me or anyone else I know. 

Also it must be stated that of the variety of English accents out there, the American accent i find is one of the easiest to understand, as opposed to a strong Scottish, Irish or Australian accent which can be a bit challenging, specially to those hard of hearing.

My spoken English is not very good (not that the written one is great, but anyway). I often have trouble understanding movies or people speaking. Yet my wife and me watch the JWB videos in English and understand them almost perfectly. I think all the brothers make a big effort to pronounce clearly.

From time to time I come across tourists in my workplace who are from Australia and honestly I can't understand a word of what they say. An Australian brother came to visit once and we just let him speak, but hardly understood anything of what he said. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to have a spoken conversation with @Stormswift. :) Yet when brother Jackson has a talk I understand him quite well. So, again, I think the brothers make an effort to polish their accents and be understood by everyone.

Edited by carlos

2 hours ago, nate said:

With South Africa being such a diverse country, we deal with a variety of accents each and every day

Some talk about other using "friends" and that sounding odd .... well, this is one expression that never used to be used and has become so prominent it may actually count as a "word whisker"

Each and Every

It is a bit redundant to use both words in the same expression. They both mean, basically, the same thing. What is wrong with just saying "each day" or "every day"

We had a Brother a few years back that used that expression so much that it seemed half of his talk was the expression "each and every"

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

8 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Some talk about other using "friends" and that sounding odd .... well, this is one expression that never used to be used and has become so prominent it may actually count as a "word whisker"

Each and Every

It is a bit redundant to use both words in the same expression. They both mean, basically, the same thing. What is wrong with just saying "each day" or "every day"

We had a Brother a few years back that used that expression so much that it seemed half of his talk was the expression "each and every"

Kinda like when people say “‘me myself personally.”

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

6 hours ago, outwalkin said:

ahh, but...

It makes perfect sense.  From now on I will reply to you with the honorific....Mother Carole...:)

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Each and Every

Matthew 26:22 Being very much grieved at this, each and every one began to say to him: “Lord, it is not I, is it?” 

Maybe because Jehovah does!

Edited by Zebra555

As can be seen, not all English translation use the expression "each and every" - and the NWT is a "modern English Translation" not the "exact" words Jehovah spoke ..... somehow, I do not think He spoke this one line in English.

New International Version
They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, "Surely you don't mean me, Lord?"

New Living Translation
Greatly distressed, each one asked in turn, "Am I the one, Lord?"

English Standard Version
And they were very sorrowful and began to say to him one after another, “Is it I, Lord?”

Berean Study Bible
They were deeply grieved and began to ask Him one after another, "Surely not I, Lord?"

Berean Literal Bible
And being grieved exceedingly, they began, each one, to say to Him, "Is it I, Lord?"

New American Standard Bible 
Being deeply grieved, they each one began to say to Him, "Surely not I, Lord?"

King James Bible
And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Deeply distressed, each one began to say to Him, "Surely not I, Lord?" 

International Standard Version
Feeling deeply distressed, each one began to ask him, "Surely I am not the one, Lord?"

NET Bible
They became greatly distressed and each one began to say to him, "Surely not I, Lord?"

New Heart English Bible
And they were greatly distressed, and each one began to ask him, "It is not me, is it, Lord?"

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And it grieved them greatly, and they began to say to him, each one of them, “Is it I, my Lord?”

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Feeling deeply hurt, they asked him one by one, "You don't mean me, do you, Lord?"

New American Standard 1977 
And being deeply grieved, they each one began to say to Him, “Surely not I, Lord?”

Jubilee Bible 2000
And they were exceeding sorrowful and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?

King James 2000 Bible
And they were exceedingly sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?

American King James Version
And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say to him, Lord, is it I?

American Standard Version
And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began to say unto him every one, Is it I, Lord?

Douay-Rheims Bible
And they being very much troubled, began every one to say: Is it I, Lord? 

Darby Bible Translation
And being exceedingly grieved they began to say to him, each of them, Is it I, Lord?

English Revised Version
And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began to say unto him every one, Is it I, Lord?

Webster's Bible Translation
And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say to him, Lord, is it I?

Weymouth New Testament
Intensely grieved they began one after another to ask Him, "Can it be I, Master?"

World English Bible
They were exceedingly sorrowful, and each began to ask him, "It isn't me, is it, Lord?"

Young's Literal Translation
And being grieved exceedingly, they began to say to him, each of them, 'Is it I, Sir?'

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

8 minutes ago, Qapla said:

As can be seen, not all English translation use the expression "each and every" - and the NWT is a "modern English Translation" not the "exact" words Jehovah spoke ..... somehow, I do not think He spoke this one line in English.

New International Version
They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, "Surely you don't mean me, Lord?"

New Living Translation
Greatly distressed, each one asked in turn, "Am I the one, Lord?"

English Standard Version
And they were very sorrowful and began to say to him one after another, “Is it I, Lord?”

Berean Study Bible
They were deeply grieved and began to ask Him one after another, "Surely not I, Lord?"

Berean Literal Bible
And being grieved exceedingly, they began, each one, to say to Him, "Is it I, Lord?"

New American Standard Bible 
Being deeply grieved, they each one began to say to Him, "Surely not I, Lord?"

King James Bible
And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Deeply distressed, each one began to say to Him, "Surely not I, Lord?" 

International Standard Version
Feeling deeply distressed, each one began to ask him, "Surely I am not the one, Lord?"

NET Bible
They became greatly distressed and each one began to say to him, "Surely not I, Lord?"

New Heart English Bible
And they were greatly distressed, and each one began to ask him, "It is not me, is it, Lord?"

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And it grieved them greatly, and they began to say to him, each one of them, “Is it I, my Lord?”

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Feeling deeply hurt, they asked him one by one, "You don't mean me, do you, Lord?"

New American Standard 1977 
And being deeply grieved, they each one began to say to Him, “Surely not I, Lord?”

Jubilee Bible 2000
And they were exceeding sorrowful and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?

King James 2000 Bible
And they were exceedingly sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?

American King James Version

American Standard Version

Douay-Rheims Bible
And they being very much troubled, began every one to say: Is it I, Lord? 

Darby Bible Translation
And being exceedingly grieved they began to say to him, each of them, Is it I, Lord?

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation

Weymouth New Testament
Intensely grieved they began one after another to ask Him, "Can it be I, Master?"

World English Bible
They were exceedingly sorrowful, and each began to ask him, "It isn't me, is it, Lord?"

Young's Literal Translation
And being grieved exceedingly, they began to say to him, each of them, 'Is it I, Sir?'

Ouch!

I wonder if he said "friends"

Edited by Zebra555

1 hour ago, Zebra555 said:

Matthew 26:22 Being very much grieved at this, each and every one began to say to him: “Lord, it is not I, is it?” 

Maybe because Jehovah does!

The expression is redundant, but in a merism redundancy lies at the heart. What is more, there’s nothing wrong with being redundant now and then. The Koine expression covers both “each” and “every one”, meaning one after the other with not exceptions.

Edited by Thesauron

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

4 hours ago, carlos said:

My spoken English is not very good (not that the written one is great, but anyway). I often have trouble understanding movies or people speaking. Yet my wife and me watch the JWB videos in English and understand them almost perfectly. I think all the brothers make a big effort to pronounce clearly.

From time to time I come across tourists in my workplace who are from Australia and honestly I can't understand a word of what they say. An Australian brother came to visit once and we just let him speak, but hardly understood anything of what he said. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to have a spoken conversation with @Stormswift. :) Yet when brother Jackson has a talk I understand him quite well. So, again, I think the brothers make an effort to polish their accents and be understood by everyone.

Mate, my accent is different to Brother Gregs ya know!! We are more refined in our accent ...than the Aussies ... oh I mean ... Brother Carlos our spoken accentuation is much more refined than our Australian counterparts.

I see a challenge in your post.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

18 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

Here in Oz we say brothers and sisters and I do agree with others, I find 'the friends' a little difficult to get my head around. We are a worldwide family so, to me, 'brothers and sisters' makes us feel more like one.

:offtopic:Soz!!!! Where abouts in Wales are you from, Jason?  I love the Welsh accent, it's so 'happy'. :D I have a brother who is married to a Welsh woman and they live in Pontrhydyfen, where David Burton came from. Whenever I'm home on holiday I usually go for a few days.  Last year when I was there I went to a meeting in Neath and met a sister who knows a brother I know over here in West Oz. :D  The world keeps shrinking. :lol:

My home congregation was Ammanford, before moving to the big smoke in Cardiff. I got married and am now in a congregation just outside Cardiff called Dinas Powys.

Now I’ll assume you mean Richard Burton and not Dai ‘the Baker’ Burton that is Richard’s uncle’s second cousin removed on his mothers side after her scandalous third marriage to Morgan ‘The Milk’ Evans!

If I remember correctly, Richard didn’t do too badly out of his smouldering Welsh accent?

On 10/10/2017 at 1:13 AM, Stormswift said:

The problem comes not in the spoken word but in the written word

I thought that years ago too.  In Canada we officially use the British variants for spelling, but generally it's just an extra letter here or there.

But then once in a while they use term that is distinctly un-Canadian. Like one time a sister was reading her comment directly from the yearbook about a missionary experience and sleeping among the "creepy crawlies" which is a term we never use here, and virtually never hear.  It sounded so unusual (and almost like child-speak) that many in the audience laughed just at hearing the odd terminology.  We would otherwise just say insect or bug as a laymen term.