JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Disposable Plates and Forks

Disposable Plates and Forks  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you use "disposable" eatware (you know - paper plates, plastic forks, paper/styro cups)

• Regular basis - all the time - for every meal
    • On special occasions (like a party or while watching sports on TV)
    • Only when we must (power outage, etc)
    • Only at a gathering where they are offered (gettogether, wedding reception, etc)
    • NEVER!

8 hours ago, Loopy said:

Always. 

I call paper plates, “my favorite china”.

Only use the standard plates & silverware when absolutely necessary.....which isn’t often.

Why? They don’t feel good to eat from and they are not very good for nature. A regular plate can be reused and washing it takes a few seconds. This is completely foreign to me that you’d chose to use disposable plates and cutlery, and it also surprises me a bit.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The AH uses paper and plastic for all of the meals except SKE classes. The Friday Maintenance / Cleaning crews get paper and plastic.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Read a newspaper article here the other day about how many politicians wants to abolish plastic cups, knives, and forks, since only 40% are recycled and the rest end up in nature and finally in our oceans.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The AH cleaning segment in the October Broadcast showed them using paper plates when they served lunch to the workers. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Oh this makes me sad :unsure: please google about the environmental impact of all this unnecessary plastic waste. There is currently a campaign in the Uk to ban plastic straws (we use stainless steel ones at home). In the county next to us, seafood was tested for plastic and it  was in 80% of samples - bad for the fish and thats our  food chain!

Sorry, i know it was a light hearted thread but the amount of waste humans produce depresses me! Obviously, i also know Jehovah will solve these problems - but we have to care in the mean time! Plus i hate eating off paper plates, all bendy and weak! 

I dont like washing up either - thats what dishwashers are for!! 

1 hour ago, Peanuts said:

Oh this makes me sad :unsure: please Google about the environmental impact of all this unnecessary plastic waste. There is currently a campaign in the Uk to ban plastic straws (we use stainless steel ones at home). In the county next to us, seafood was tested for plastic and it  was in 80% of samples - bad for the fish and that's our  food chain!

Sorry, i know it was a light hearted thread but the amount of waste humans produce depresses me! Obviously, i also know Jehovah will solve these problems - but we have to care in the mean time! Plus i hate eating off paper plates, all bendy and weak! 

I don't like washing up either - that's what dishwashers are for!!  

Hmmmmmm ..... have you ever Googled to find out the damage done by dishwasher detergent?

While it may be that using a dishwasher may/or may not have less impact than hand washing, energywise, hand dishwasher detergent still has less of an impact on the water supply. Also, while plastic utensils can be recycled, if people would, the waste from a dishwasher cannot.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

10 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Hmmmmmm ..... have you ever Googled to find out the damage done by dishwasher detergent?

While it may be that using a dishwasher may/or may not have less impact than hand washing, energywise, hand dishwasher detergent still has less of an impact on the water supply. Also, while plastic utensils can be recycled, if people would, the waste from a dishwasher cannot.

I use environmentally friendly dishwasher detergent :cool:

Thesauron, I can picture it now they will be forcing you to use plastics to eat with and they will be forcing me to use cold silver to eat with in order to break our integrity! I do agree with you that food should not be eaten on paper plates. I only use clear see-through glass plates. I'm not kooky or wonky or weird....but food only tastes delicious with clear plastic forks, knives, and fat soup spoons that I rewash, on clear glass plates.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

20 minutes ago, Qapla said:

You use less water with a modern dishwasher mashing than you do with hand wash, and way less than you do when you produce paper plates. With many modern dishwashers, detergents are not even necessary always. The chemicals that go into producing paper plates are not for the faint of heart. Plastic utensils can sometimes be recycled, but most people just don’t.

1 minute ago, NSSewer said:

Thesauron, I can picture it now they will be forcing you to use plastics to eat with and they will be forcing me to use cold silver to eat with in order to break our integrity! I do agree with you that food should not be eaten on paper plates. I only use clear see-through glass plates. I'm not kooky or wonky or weird....but food only tastes delicious with clear plastic forks, knives, and fat soup spoons that I rewash, on clear glass plates.

Why do they have to be clear for the food to taste good?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

58 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Plastic utensils can sometimes be recycled, but most people just don’t.

That is not the fault of the plastic utensils ...... "most people just don't"

The only time I eat with disposables is if I’m at a gathering or if I pick up an order of Chinese food. I’ll eat it in the container it came in and use the plastic fork that comes with it so as to not waste it.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

8 hours ago, Qapla said:

That is not the fault of the plastic utensils ...... "most people just don't"

It’s not the fault of the oil that it’s in the ground, the problem is that people pick it up and use it in various ways, including to make plastic utensils that are then disposed of and very hard if not impossible to break down.

36 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I save the plastic prewrapped eating utensils, I put them in my go bags. I think I have about 330K sets saved up.....:eat:

You’d need only one set of silver or stainless steel utensils.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

So, that fits the forth option - I hope you voted for that one 

I wasn’t sure which one to pick at first but I voted. Thanks.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On 14/10/2017 at 4:32 AM, Brother Jack said:

The only time I eat with disposables is if I’m at a gathering or if I pick up an order of Chinese food. I’ll eat it in the container it came in and use the plastic fork that comes with it so as to not waste it.

They give away cutlery with it? Not seen that before. Thats the kind of wastage they are trying to cut down on in the UK. So in pubs they will give you a straw if you request one rather than automatically provididng it. One big pub chain has switched to paper straws.

Its madness to just hand out plastic cutlery when most people dont need it.

2 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

They give away cutlery with it? Not seen that before. Thats the kind of wastage they are trying to cut down on in the UK. So in pubs they will give you a straw if you request one rather than automatically provididng it. One big pub chain has switched to paper straws.

Around here, you don’t get plastic cutlery when ordering to go. You might if you ask for it, though. Sometimes they will give you wooden cutler instead if you ask for disposable cutlery.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Perhaps I have a neuroses, I don't know know. I do know the fork with food on it must be clear for the the food to taste good. I'm not saying I would never eat if it were not plastic and clear, but food is not enjoyable if it is not eaten on clear plastics. That's just a way of life. Oh and I do wash and spray them with vinegar after each use and use them again so there is no waste.

Now wooden cutlery as in forks and knives...<fainted>. I prepare and stir soups with wooden serving spoons but the taste always makes me feel like I'm back in the 1700s.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

13 minutes ago, NSSewer said:

spray them with vinegar

Why would you spray plastic cultery with vinegar? I get why people do it with stainless steel cutlery, but why plastic?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 10/13/2017 at 2:53 PM, Peanuts said:

Oh this makes me sad :unsure: please google about the environmental impact of all this unnecessary plastic waste. There is currently a campaign in the Uk to ban plastic straws (we use stainless steel ones at home). In the county next to us, seafood was tested for plastic and it  was in 80% of samples - bad for the fish and thats our  food chain!

I dont like washing up either - thats what dishwashers are for!! 

I sort of feel like Jehovah would obviously prefer us to be environmentally friendly, shown by their green initiatives when building permanent dwellings (which will no doubt survive into the new system). 

However, even if an entire country recycled it would be a drop in a bucket compared to the damage being done to our oceans. We can buy organic cotton clothing but nine times out of ten, even if they say otherwise, they're being sewn by child laborers, payed pennies for hours of work. We can buy cage free eggs, grass fed beef or pork, but the gas emissions that come from livestock pollute the earth more than all the vehicles on the planet. Do you really think the world will last long enough to reverse the world's pollution? Maybe we should wait until it does matter, where Jehovah's guidance can tell us how to take care of it.

This isn't to say we should throw courtesy to the wind and ruin Jehovah's planet with all abandon. But things like plastic waste are not a priority right now, as none of these things will be solved in this system. It's essentially fruitless. Will it really matter if we use plastic or not to Jehovah during these last days? During the great tribulation, what will we do if our foe's take away our basic necessities/luxuries? Turning our nose up at anything is the last thing we should do. :)

6 minutes ago, lovejoypeace said:

I sort of feel like Jehovah would obviously prefer us to be environmentally friendly, shown by their green initiatives when building permanent dwellings (which will no doubt survive into the new system). 

However, even if an entire country recycled it would be a drop in a bucket compared to the damage being done to our oceans. We can buy organic cotton clothing but nine times out of ten, even if they say otherwise, they're being sewn by child laborers, payed pennies for hours of work. We can buy cage free eggs, grass fed beef or pork, but the gas emissions that come from livestock pollute the earth more than all the vehicles on the planet. Do you really think the world will last long enough to reverse the world's pollution? Maybe we should wait until it does matter, where Jehovah's guidance can tell us how to take care of it.

This isn't to say we should throw courtesy to the wind and ruin Jehovah's planet with all abandon. But things like plastic waste are not a priority right now, as none of these things will be solved in this system. It's essentially fruitless. Will it really matter if we use plastic or not to Jehovah during these last days? During the great tribulation, what will we do if our foe's take away our basic necessities/luxuries? Turning our nose up at anything is the last thing we should do. :)

Well, we should not pretend like we could solve things only Jehovah can, but we all can do something to add as little as possible to the footprint. After all, we are set to take care of the earth. I think it matters if we show appreciation for the earth he gave us. What is more is this: when people think of Jehovah, they think of us, so we represent him.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

6 minutes ago, lovejoypeace said:

sort of feel like Jehovah would obviously prefer us to be environmentally friendly, shown by their green initiatives when building permanent dwellings (which will no doubt survive into the new system)

I am confident he would prefer it (rev 11:18) "... and to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.”

7 minutes ago, lovejoypeace said:

Do you really think the world will last long enough to reverse the world's pollution? Maybe we should wait until it does matter, where Jehovah's guidance can tell us how to take care of

No definitely not. The problems are too complex for man to solve. I often feel a sense of helplessness as i dutifully put out my recycling for collection, feeling like it makes no difference in the scheme of things. Fortunately, as i know the Truth, those feelings dont cause me to despair as i know Jehovah will have the perfect solution. 

You're right plastic waste isnt a priority right now. But it would be nice to think if we could all make some small changes i wouldnt have to worry about how much plastic was in the next bit of seafood i ate.

8 hours ago, Peanuts said:

Yes, they do. I picked up some Chinese food for my mom today and they gave some cutlery with it. And also, at places that sell burgers and fries, they will give you a ton of ketchup even if you don’t ask for it. Sometimes I’ll ask for only 3 packets of ketchup and they will give me a handful every time. All the fast food places I go to will give you too many napkins as well. I might add that I eat a mostly vegetarian diet of mainly fruit and hardly eat cooked food so I don’t use silverware of any kind that often.

It should be noted that, while the WHQ is environmentally friendly and the BR does all they can to set a good example in taking care of the earth, when I was working at Warwick we ate lunch in rooms in the residence buildings. Most of these were cold sandwich lunches but a couple had a hot component. We had mostly water or tea to drink.

They provided plastic cups for us to drink from. The sandwiches were wrapped in plastic wrap to keep them fresh ans sanitary until we ate them. When we did receive a meal instead of a loose sandwich, it was in a styro box.

Now, the breakfast served in the dining room was served on reusable dishes and we used stainless flatware. However, the suppers were served on disposable.