JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Your BOTTOM 10 Foodlist

OK, we have had a Top 10 for a while and the lists vary quite a bit. Recently, I commented on some of the foods I did not like that were on some of the lists and, as usual, some tried to tell me I would like them, if they were cooked the right way :chef:

With that in mind, I thought, if we have a thread about the food we DO like, maybe we should also have a thread about the food we do NOT like - so, here goes:

To borrow from the other thread (with a little "poetic license")

Just to be fair and with a little curiosity - please name your BOTTOM ten food - the ones you really do NOT like. Yes, I guess we can allow bacon :eek:

1. Fish
  2. Okra
  3. Asparagus
  4. Squash
  5. Black-eyed peas
  6. Lima Beans
  7. Sweet Potatoes
  8. Grits
  9. Sushi
  10. Alligator

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I have had some fish that was OK. North Atlantic Whiting the way Long John SIlver's (a US Fish fast-food place) cooks it is OK, but I wouldn't want it very often. I have had some fried Grouper that was OK - again, I would not eat it often.

The only seafood I really like is Shrimp - and I want them HOT. I do not like boiled shrimp served on ice.

On the other hand, my wife loves fish. Most kinds, but she really likes catfish - fresh or saltwater. The way I see it, since she likes fish so much and I am supposed to provide - if I just have to  :whistling:  I will go fishing and catch her some fresh fish. :lol1:

15 minutes ago, Qapla said:

The only seafood I really like is Shrimp - and I want them HOT. I do not like boiled shrimp served on ice.

Shrimp is one thing I have a hard time with. It reminds me so very much of insects, and I don’t get people who say they can eat shrimp, but not for example locusts, which is more environmentally friendly and has a similar taste and texture.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Heh ...

Bacon

Cauliflower

Liver

Broadbeans

Cottage cheese

Burger rings

Bacon and Eggs pies

Badly made curries (too hot and no flavour)

Wasabi chocolate 

Roast Beef

There we go - more difficult than the other list.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

1 hour ago, LeslieDean said:

fish

eel

Sardines

You’re mentioning fish in general and then two specific types of fish, eels and sardines, is that because you can stand some fish but particularly not those two listed?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

4 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

calamari olives (?)

strong, stinky cheese of any sort. Feta is the first that comes to my mind..

That would be olives with octopus? Never had that, but it doesn’t sound good.

Feta is an extremely mild cheese by any measurement. I am not a fan of feta, though. As for other strong cheeses, they are a bit like fine wine. You need to pair them right to truly appreciate them, and perhaps use them in cooking. Pasta with a fine Gorgonzola sauce is amazing.

5 hours ago, Precision said:

Insects

But you eat shrimp?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Yes.  The only fish I have ever enjoyed was in Maui!  It was cooked over an open flame outdoors along a beautiful river at a fancy restaurant.  I don't think it had anything to do with the occasion but was what all fish should aspire to taste like! No fishy taste, tender, light and flaked with a silver fish of melted butter to dip it into!

it took years before I could like shrimp and I still do not eat them often.  Killer Shrimp in LA was again a dining occasion with a large group of friends.  At the restaurant they only served shrimp.  One way. Dumped out onto butcher paper that served as  your table covering and with crusty French bread and bowls of butter.  And Coconut Shrimp from Gladstones in Malibu.  Then I adore my Shrimp Louie Salad.  

My dad hunted and fished when I was little and wS bring his yield home to clean and prepare.  There is a picture of me somewhere when I was two, sitting in my little rocking chair holding bloody dead rabbits and squirrels rocking them and crying. 

I guess I only eat meat from the grocery store because I am still able to pretend I don't know how it got there.  If I think about it I can not eat it.  That change has just come about within the last 5 years.  Maybe I'm preparing to become vegan! 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

It's no different than expecting liver not to taste like liver ...... and there is nothing at all wrong with the taste or texture of liver! It's WAY better than fish

19 minutes ago, Qapla said:

It's no different than expecting liver not to taste like liver ...... and there is nothing at all wrong with the taste or texture of liver! It's WAY better than fish

Except liver collects a lot of the bodily waste. The downside with fish and wild game is similar - they tend to contain high levels of waste material, but not to the same levels as kidneys and liver.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

20 minutes ago, Qapla said:

You mean like iron? 

Iron is usually not considered a bad thing. Liver contains toxic residues from processed feeds, antibiotics, vaccine ingredients, pesticide over-spray, tainted water, and the synthetic hormones that are frequently given to farm animals.

Edited by Thesauron

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

5 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

Yes.  The only fish I have ever enjoyed was in Maui!  It was cooked over an open flame outdoors along a beautiful river at a fancy restaurant.  I don't think it had anything to do with the occasion but was what all fish should aspire to taste like! No fishy taste, tender, light and flaked with a silver fish of melted butter to dip it into!

You seem to be describing Mahi Mahi.

Do Organ Meats Store Toxins?

This is the most common objection (besides the taste) to consuming organ meats, especially liver. Organs like heart and brain obviously don’t store toxins, but many people are afraid to eat liver or kidney because these organs filter toxins in the body.

While organ meats do function as filters in the body, they don’t store the toxins. The job of organs like the liver is to remove toxins from the body, and as such, they store many fat soluble vitamins and nutrients needed to accomplish this task.

https://wellnessmama.com/12579/organ-meats-healthy/

Liver can accumulate toxins and heavy metals, but so can every other part of the animal. If you avoid liver because of toxins, you should probably avoid the rest of the animal, too.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/does-the-liver-store-toxins/

Unfortunately, organ meats have been unfairly demonized in the West thanks to some persistent dietary myths, including beliefs that animal fat and cholesterol are bad for your health. Nothing could be farther from the truth!

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/30/eating-organ-meats.aspx