JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Your BOTTOM 10 Foodlist

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

Liver can accumulate toxins and heavy metals, but so can every other part of the animal. If you avoid liver because of toxins, you should probably avoid the rest of the animal, too.

You’re right. You should limit your meat intake overall. Of course, toxins are stored in every part of the animal. If you are going to consume liver, it’s best to get premium meat, preferably organic calf, or alike. You can skip chicken and beef liver.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

6 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Isn’t it a bit unfair to ask fish not to have a fishy taste? That’s what they do best.

I know that always sounds weird but I understood immediately what people have meant my entire life when they said fish tasted to fishy.  Can't stand the smell of most fish yet some have hardly an odor at all.  If you are a fish eater then surly you understand what I mean.  Just like deer and wild game tasting to 'gamey'.  So no, I don't think it is unfair to say some fish taste more fishy than others. Some fish smell more strongly of fish that others.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

53 minutes ago, LeslieDean said:

I know that always sounds weird but I understood immediately what people have meant my entire life when they said fish tasted to fishy.  Can't stand the smell of most fish yet some have hardly an odor at all.  If you are a fish eater then surly you understand what I mean.  Just like deer and wild game tasting to 'gamey'.  So no, I don't think it is unfair to say some fish taste more fishy than others. Some fish smell more strongly of fish that others.

I don’t particularly enjoy the smell of newly slaughtered beef either. It’s rather pungent. Some of it is fixed when you cook them. Except for frozen readymade meatballs. The smell when you open the package is the smell of death and decay.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 minute ago, Precision said:

Oh Yeah !  Endless shrimp this past week at Red Lobster.  

Honestly I've never tried Rattlesnake.  

Or Durian, supposedly the smell is a cross between rotten fermented garlic and onions. It's banned in some Asian hotels.

Even though the taste, smell and all over feel is the same as locusts? Why the bias?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Just now, Precision said:

Mostly just culturally preconceived I guess.  I've never tried Locusts with wild honey.  What's your take ?

I have a problem with the crunchiness. You bit it and expect it to be soft, bit then its a bit crunchy in the middle as if something isn’t really cooked properly. Bu there’s no winning here. See, if you cook them more they become really soft and that is even more disgusting to me. The other option would be to eat them raw, and that is something I only really do with extremely fresh, high quality insects and shrimp, if at all. The downside is that they taste less.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Are locusts served as a delicacy in some of the finer restaurants in and around Stockholm ?  Hey I'm open to trying any delicacies that John enjoyed. :D

But...a few years ago a Spanish station in Columbia asked a centurion what his secret was to longevity.

So they documented this old guy catching live cucarachas...and downing them with milk and breakfast cereal.  :sick:  So disgusting !  You could hear the camara man in the background losing it !

47 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Even though the taste, smell and all over feel is the same as locusts? Why the bias?

Just because you say and/or think they taste, smell and feel the same does not think I would. After all, you don't like liver and I do. Why the bias?

We all have different tastes.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

Just because you say and/or think they taste, smell and feel the same does not think I would. After all, you don't like liver and I do. Why the bias?

We all have different tastes.

Shrimp and locusts taste and smell the same. I don’t like any of them very much. Also, I am not a fan of liver or anything resembling liver.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 minutes ago, Precision said:

Are locusts served as a delicacy in some of the finer restaurants in and around Stockholm ?  Hey I'm open to trying any delicacies that John enjoyed. :D

But...a few years ago a Spanish station in Columbia asked a centurion what his secret was to longevity.

So they documented this old guy catching live cucarachas...and downing them with milk and breakfast cereal.  :sick:  So disgusting !  You could hear the camara man in the background losing it !

They are served, but there are import restrictions still since the law does not consider them to be food, which is a legal oddity.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Shrimp and locusts taste and smell the same.

So you have said several times. I do not know that to be the case .... 

For all I know, they would taste nothing like each other. To you - they taste the same, but how can I trust that perception when you and I do not like the same foods.

I have had other foods that people say "tastes just like chicken" that didn't taste anything like chicken when I tried it.

Edited by Qapla

4 minutes ago, Qapla said:

So you have said several times. I do not know that to be the case .... 

For all I know, they would taste nothing like each other. To you - they taste the same, but how can I trust that perception when you and I do not like the same foods.

I have had other foods that people say "tastes just like chicken" that didn't taste anything like chicken when I tried it.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/gallery/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/E/2017/40/284

“According to an analysis made in Jerusalem, desert locusts consist of 75 percent protein. When used for food today, the head, legs, wings, and abdomen are removed. The remaining portion, the thorax, is eaten raw or cooked. These insects are said to taste something like shrimp or crab and are rich in protein.”

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 minutes ago, Precision said:

Guess we won't find them on any 5 star Michelin rated menu anytime soon.

I suppose we will find them there before they trickle down to staple foods in Western Europe. Perhaps first as a macho “do you dare to eat” kind of thing, much like when sushi became popular back in the 80s and it became cool to say you ate raw fish. These days, every other kid eat it and loves it.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I consider myself an adventurous eater. What better way to appreciate other cultures than to dive head first into their delicacies? No matter how scary. :)

However, I do have 3 foods that are a no-go for me.

1. Dishes prepared with blood.

2. Dishes prepared with Fennel Seeds, because they are ruin Italian food.

3. Insects, because I'd be too terrified to lift them to my mouth in the first place. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I suppose we will find them there before they trickle down to staple foods in Western Europe. Perhaps first as a macho “do you dare to eat” kind of thing, much like when sushi became popular back in the 80s and it became cool to say you ate raw fish. These days, every other kid eat it and loves it.

I hear you.  I have mixed emotions about Sushi, sure if you can find the freshest seafood on the coast, and a sushi chef that knows the techniques...puffer fish sounds scary !

And the microscopic parasites that the Doc pulls out of your...

5 minutes ago, lovejoypeace said:

nsects, because I'd be too terrified to lift them to my mouth in the first place

Terrified of what? They are going to bite you just as little as that bull that became your steak is going to come running at you with his horns.

1 minute ago, Precision said:

puffer fish sounds scar

Puffer fish is probably not something a Christian could eat. It’s a bit like playing Russian roulette.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

31 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

like when sushi became popular back in the 80s and it became cool to say you ate raw fish

But, sushi is NOT raw fish

Sushi is the Japanese preparation and serving of specially prepared vinegared rice (a sticky rice) combined with varied ingredients.

Sushi is often confused with sashimi, a related Japanese dish consisting of thinly sliced raw fish or occasionally meat, and an optional serving of rice.

Yes, sushi can have raw seafood or other meat as part of it - but it does not have to have it. It can have cooked meat or be completely vegan and still be sushi.

However, even sushi does not usually have insects as part of it.

Edited by Qapla

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Shrimp and locusts taste and smell the same. I don’t like any of them very much. Also, I am not a fan of liver or anything resembling liver.

Although they may smell and taste the same - the texture you described above does not sound the same unless you eat the shell of the shrimp (and some do).

I"ll stick with my shrimp, prawns and raw oysters haha. (But wouldn't rule out trying locusts either) - people spitroast tarantulas on an open fire in some countries too and

when you analyse their makeup they are put together very much like a lobster. So I see that reasoning.

27 minutes ago, Qapla said:

But, sushi is NOT raw fish

Yes, sushi can have raw seafood or other meat as part of it - but it does not have to have it. It can have cooked meat or be completely vegan and still be sushi.

However, even sushi does not usually have insects as part of it.

Yes yes yes!! People reject sushi because they don't like raw fish! One of my favourite sushi is teriyaki chicken with avocado or smoked eel, the only 'raw' shushimi type sushi I like is raw salmon or tuna - everything else has cooked meat or no meat at all.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/gallery/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/E/2017/40/284

“According to an analysis made in Jerusalem, desert locusts consist of 75 percent protein. When used for food today, the head, legs, wings, and abdomen are removed. The remaining portion, the thorax, is eaten raw or cooked. These insects are said to taste something like shrimp or crab and are rich in protein.”

There is a big fly that visits some African country - it's huge and black - and they come in swarms like locusts - the children of the village gather these flies and they are made into patties - aparently the protein obtained from these are very important to their overall diet.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

37 minutes ago, Qapla said:

You’re right. But when people generally think of sushi, it’s the variety with raw seafood topping. Sliced raw fish is called sashimi.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 4 weeks later...

I am a bit complex with my food. There are certain things I don't like that much but it depends how it is prepared. I a. also very adventurous and am happy to try almost anything before I totally ditch it. So here is my list:

Mussels

Brussels Sprouts (unless it's covered in butter and walnuts) 

Chickpeas (Don't mind them hidden in a curry) 

Durianfruit (I tried and principally it's not as bad as people make out but in the end it just reminds me of pineapple covered with cheese and onion spread the more I eat) 

Dried Fruit

Carrots and orange/yellow/sweet root vegetables in general

Kale (unless it's done the German way) 

Hard Candy

Sweets and desserts with mint flavour 

Kaviar

Pickles or anything else drowned in vinegar 

59 minutes ago, thegreenjudy said:

Kale (unless it's done the German way

What’s the German way?

1 hour ago, thegreenjudy said:

Chickpeas (Don't mind them hidden in a curry) 

Hummus?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”