JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Storm Brian hits Ireland and UK

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2346 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

There's a huge hurricane forming with the name Brian, that's on its way to hit Ireland and the UK. It will hit on friday as it seems now.

We'll pray that it may weaken before it hits land. Keep alert and safe.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/867483/Storm-Brian-when-hit-UK-Ireland-path-latest-storm-track-models

Edited by Shawnster

3 hours ago, skipdaflip said:

There's a huge hurricane forming with the name Brian, that's on its way to hit Ireland and the UK. It will hit on friday as it seems now.

We'll pray that it may weaken before it hits land. Keep alert and safe.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/867483/Storm-Brian-when-hit-UK-Ireland-path-latest-storm-track-models

Sorry but they've not actually given this storm a name yet, although it may well be called Brian... who knows, the one this weekend was Ophelia and I thought then ran alphabetically ?

I live on the furthest south west tip of Ireland, hurricane Ophelia was a nasty violent storm with winds here of 120mph.  Ireland is very used to stormy weather and often gets the tail end of hurricanes... but Ophelia was the furthest east that one had actually formed. 

This next storm doesn't actually have a designated path yet despite what some scaremongering newspapers say.  We're still clearing up as a country and over 200,000 homes and businesses are without power.

Let's hope this next storm isn't too bad we have our assembly this weekend. 

Today was beautiful and it was as if nothing happened yesterday !

20171017_091041.jpg

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Annie, glad to see your post. We were all concerned about the friends/brothers and sisters in Ireland - especially you, since we know you from this board.

Thanks for the post and the photo - that is very pleasant and calming to look at

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

13 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Annie, glad to see your post. We were all concerned about the friends/brothers and sisters in Ireland - especially you, since we know you from this board.

Thanks for the post and the photo - that is very pleasant and calming to look at

As far as I know everyone is safe here,  we had a safety announcement at the Sunday meeting telling us to take care, stay in doors and not to take chances with anything.  I was rang twice by elders during the storm to make sure everything was ok. 

Many of us are without power and water as we mostly in this area have wells and we need electricity to pump the water to the surface.  Also phone service is bad or non existent , but everything is getting back together ok.  

Schools are open tomorrow so long as they haven't received and damage. 

Thank you so much for thinking of me 

6 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

^^^ What John said.  Glad you are all safe, Annie.

Thank you :)

I really hope this one will not form. Cause I get tired of so many disaster.

I'm glad to hear everything is fine and that the organisation take good care of their family.

I will keep track of this hurricane on ventusky.com.

1 hour ago, skipdaflip said:

I really hope this one will not form. Cause I get tired of so many disaster.

I'm glad to hear everything is fine and that the organisation take good care of their family.

I will keep track of this hurricane on ventusky.com.

It really isn't a hurricane , it's just another storm coming our way and we're very used to them.

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

All hurricanes are storms, but not all storms are hurricanes. 

Tropical storms get names. 

How is it they are jumping back to the top of the alphabet? 

Maybe a Southerner is in charge and thinks the last storm was Ahphilia?

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 hours ago, Shawnster said:

All hurricanes are storms, but not all storms are hurricanes. 

Tropical storms get names. 

How is it they are jumping back to the top of the alphabet? 

Because hurricane Ophelia started off in Americas list and remained a hurricane as it approached the uk so they kept it instead of using the next in the UK list which is to be Brian.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

So they officially named it today, we're already experiencing torrential rain then we have the main storm Friday/ Saturday... the trees that are left are very unstable from last weekend and now the ground is sodden with more wind on the way.  Several trees fell today, many roads are impassable because of flooding or trees across the road. 

Our assembly is Saturday a 3 hour drive I'm really not sure what will happen. 

It wasn't as windy as Ophelia. St Bees weather station facing Ireland near us measured up to 70 mph this time. It was the torrential rain that made it sound worse, so I slept downstairs as the rattle of it on our roof was very loud. 

Some nearby towns that were built by rivers years centuries ago, got flooded despite new flood defences. Thankfully, we were not due to go anywhere that weekend.

We did go to our Circuit convention the week after. It hadn't stopped raining all week and the roads were very wet, drains overflowing and the roadside rivers were high. Flood warning sings told us that roads south through the Lakes were cut off. We were directed off the main route as there was a bad road accident cutting off the road at Braithwaite village. Big trucks had to turn around and go back, cars could negotiate the narrow village streets. High M6 motorway over the mountains at bleak Shap were very windy, but tipped over trucks had been removed. We were buffeted about by the wind. Worst was the heavy traffic in heavy rain near the city of Manchester - M60 motorway - up to 5 lanes - was packed and you couldn't change lanes and heavy rain meant signs weren't easy to see, made worse if there was a big truck in the next lane towering above us obscuring our view of signs, so we got stuck and nearly ended up in Liverpool instead of Manchester and had to double back! It was a 3 hour drive. Thankfully, we had booked a hotel near the Convention Hall for Friday night, so had time to get there and settle in, so we weren't late for the Convention on Saturday.

The congregation coming by coach on the day - setting off 5 am - got in just before the Convention started at 9.20 am. The coach was also late because there is no parking and hardly any room to drop people off at the Assembly Hall.The driver was waved away by attendants, so he got on his phone to his firm and was directed streets away and residents were angrily shouting abuse at our brothers and sisters as they were getting off to walk to the venue - (some  on sticks/walking frames) and rang the coach firm (number on the side of the coach) to complain and the driver had to travel around looking for somewhere to put himself and change over to a different driver to go home. Manchester is well worked territory, brothers and sisters get given streets to work with more 'Do not Calls' than houses they can call on!

We used to hire Carlisle indoor arena for £5000 for our Circuit Conventions - and hour away for us. However, refurbishment of Manchester Assembly Hall has cost hundreds of thousands   - It's a 'government listed building' of architectural importance in the Art Deco Style (1920's), so they have restrictions when refurbishing it.and they need to recoup costs, so told us to go there at £8000 for the day's Hall costs. Some were saying that they would prefer to make their own way to Carlisle and send our £2000 coach costs to the Assembly Hall as a donation to allow us not to have to go at this time of year.

We are due there again at the beginning of March when weather is still not good and there is a big football/soccer match on with Manchester's famous teams,  so all the Hotels have doubled their prices next year from £60 a night to £129 per night - Hotel was a bit noisy at night as it is an Airport Hotel - Manchester Airport is near the Assembly Hall. I'm guessing it will be even noisier if drinking soccer fans are there! Anyway, we do as we are told. We have a feeling that as terrorist bombing increases against people in crowds - as has happened at Manchester on 2 occasions and once at nearby Warrington, that I remember, we may have to resort to streaming conventions at the Kingdom Halls.

The drive home was a little better - in the dark now on country roads - as winter comes on.

Back when we used to have assemblies in the dead of winter, 

we got blizzard'ed in and were sent home Sunday at noon.

The authorities had shut the highways down, though, so we were

stranded.  The witness families in the area took us all in to their homes.

A floor never felt so good.^_^

Next morning, the highways re-opened and we all made it safely to our destinations.:D

We never had a mid-winter assembly again after that. :mellow:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Big tree down about 400m/yds from here, just in front of an elderly sister’s house. 

This was taken from the sister’s front garden.

B5E42438-EBB5-47E2-8EA5-21BCF193B15A.thumb.jpeg.c1583293da44c10a5fc729402a90064e.jpeg

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

27 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Big tree down about 400m/yds from here, just in front of an elderly sister’s house. 

This was taken from the sister’s front garden.

No one is hurt thankfully.

http://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/news/video-house-in-crawley-severely-damaged-by-fallen-tree-1-8212108

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13