JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Training crows to clean up trash

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2325 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/startups/news/a28543/startup-trains-crows-to-pick-up-trash/
http://www.crowdedcities.com/
http://www.thecrowbox.com/

Not long before we'll have a murder of crows attacking people to steal their cigarettes. :lol: Who wants to train crows to help clean up after Armageddon?

(Revelation 19:17, 18) I saw also an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out with a loud voice and said to all the birds that fly in midheaven: “Come here, be gathered together to the great evening meal of God, 18 so that you may eat the flesh of kings and the flesh of military commanders and the flesh of strong men and the flesh of horses and of those seated on them, and the flesh of all, of freemen as well as of slaves and of small ones and great.”

Edited by Myew

14 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Crows are cool! Always make friends with them, cause they will remember human cruelty. (Remember, The Birds?)

I had a pet crow for awhile, he was very loyal and unfortunately died when I let someone care for him while I was out of town.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Magpies, though a different family to crows, are also great to befriend.  Mum gives them mince, and they bring back their family for you to meet (and feed).  

"We know that magpies remember and recognise human faces and they will remember them for years," Dr Kaplan told ABC Radio Melbourne's Sami Shah and Jacinta Parsons.   Dr Kaplan said that once a magpie knew you and judged you to be a nice person, you would have earned a friend for life.

"They will form very long friendships, like dogs," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-31/make-friends-with-magpies-to-avoid-swooping-expert-says/8856438

Sorry, didn't mean to change tack here.  I don't know how trainable the maggies are compared to crows.  Just wanted to share that they are going to know if you've been naughty or nice to them :) 

Magpie.jpg.7f23dbbf513cfbe350336d2477132fe5.jpg

9 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Sorry, didn't mean to change tack here. Just wanted to share that they are going to know if you've been naughty or nice to them :) 

- but that's what makes discussions fun. Imagine if all the animals who were mistreated turned on people.

GoatMeme4.jpg

Edit: I just recalled where I've seen magpies before.. watching bicycle review videos and people getting attacked. Haha. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by Myew

Oh yes, they swoop on you in Spring when they have their young (our Spring is in September, hence why the article was written).  Don't know if magpies are just in Australia, but you have to wear sunglasses and a hard hat out walking at that time (jk! :D).  Actually sunnies are not a bad idea cause they have been known to poke eyes out of school kids walking to school - I think also some might of mistreated them, and the maggie remembers. 

Magpies are birds of the Corvidae (crow) family, including the black and white Eurasian magpie, which is widely considered one of the most intelligent animals in the world, and the only non mammal species able to recognize itself in a mirror test (though a recent study suggests that giant manta rays can also recognize their own reflections)

Magpies of the genus Pica are generally found in temperate regions of Europe, Asia and western North America, with populations also present in Tibet and high elevation areas of India, i.e. Ladakh (Kargil and Leh) and Pakistan. Magpies of the genus Cyanopica are found in East Asia and also the Iberian peninsula. Birds called magpies but not actually related may be found in Australia.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

6 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Crows are cool! Always make friends with them, cause they will remember human cruelty. (Remember, The Birds?)

Did you know that the Perth crow is actually a Raven. I have never been attacked by a Magpie although my dog has been swooped by them in a park when I have been with her. 

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

• 1 month later...

Continuing on the theme of Magpies, they are now Bird of the Year here in Australia, just pipping the Ibis.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2017-12-11/magies-ten-things-you-didnt-know/9245780

And though they have a splendid song of their own, caroling at the break of day, they also are good mimics, which I didn't realise.

"Although they're not quite on par with the lyrebird, magpies are excellent mimics.

They'll impersonate a range of other birds and even car alarms, dogs and cameras."

And I just have a look at this playful maggie with puppy video - just gorgeous!

"