JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcasting November Edition of 2017

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2346 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

4 hours ago, Sheep said:

Speaking of spelling... and accuracy... when was the last time you ever saw a typographical error in one of our publications? A simple spelling mistake could easily creep into a magazine, but one of those eagle-eyed proofreaders at Bethel always seems to catch it! Yes, I have seen some over the years, but they are extremely rare.

To draw on someone's statement in the broadcast, if they're that meticulous over spelling, they are definitely that meticulous about teaching us the truth!

There use to be a typo in one of the yearbooks in the WTLIB. It said Hell Hitler instead of Heil Hitler. It was that way for a couple of years.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 11/7/2017 at 12:15 AM, WilliamChew said:

JWB Nov 2017 transcript

JWB Nov transcript.pdf

Thank you so very much. I do not know what I would do without your transcript. I would perhaps understand 25%, no more. How do you do that??
Inge
Niagara Falls, Canada

On 11/7/2017 at 9:26 AM, WilliamChew said:

The subtitles are embedded in the .mp4 file by jw.org. You will need to do the following:

How to extract subtitles from mp4 file?

http://www.talarczyk.com/how-to-extract-subtitles-from-an-mp4-file/

1. Download and install the utility ffmpeg

2. Check if subtitles exist in the file.
(the filename containing the mp4 video in this example is file.mp4)
ffmpeg -i file.mp4

3. This extracts the subtitles from the file file.mp4 into file.srt
"C:\Program Files (x86)\SoundBox2014\ffmpeg.exe" -i file.mp4 -vn -an -codec:s:0.2 srt file.srt

That sounds much too complicated for a 80 year old sister. Please keep posting the finished product for me. I really appreciate it.
Inge

There was an error in the first printing of the new grey Bibles... 

It happens. Even the proofreaders are imperfect. It can actually be a pretty fun sport to try to spot the errors.

Any day now...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I loved the part about accuracy. I think this goes to show how careful brothers need to be when preparing public talks. I've heard on more than one occasion a brother saying something obviously untrue or speculative from the platform. Usually anecdotal things, not integral biblical doctrine, but it's still important to be accurate. 

I just noticed this in re-watching it, talking about checking the accuracy of those statements that Bro Splain quizzed us on:

If you're like me, you've probably made some of those statements yourself at times. The statements were made on the best research we had at the time, but this is to illustrate the fact that times change, research facilities improve, a scholar ... uncovers things that were previously unknown.

That seemed to indicate that these were statements that had been made in the publications before - and after checking - sure enough they are all (with the exception of the Egyptian sphinx quote) statements that the WT or other pub has made. I think this is yet another good example for us to follow; never be lackadaisical when it comes to being accurate in our statements in the ministry, and don't be afraid to acknowledge when you were wrong and take the chance to correct your statement.

I also have only ever seen one typo. (Since 1990.) It was a magazine and had something like “amd” instead of “and”. Something simple anyway.

(There was also the edition of the Greatest Man book that had Jesus with 3 arms on one page!)

Really appreciate all the hard work put in to ensuring accuracy.

Those ‘find the error’ questions were great fun. I need to go back over the ‘why the Bible might not be the oldest book’ question though.

A thoroughly enjoyable broadcast! :)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I went to the usually scheduled viewing of the Broadcast at the Hall last night... and no one came at all, not even a brother to show the presentation.  :(

I hung around for a half hour then went home.  I think it would help if there was a small announcement that the viewing is happening; I think people tend to forget.

That's all.  It just kinda made me sad..

3 minutes ago, Hope said:

I went to the usually scheduled viewing of the Broadcast at the Hall last night... and no one came at all, not even a brother to show the presentation.  :(

I hung around for a half hour then went home.  I think it would help if there was a small announcement that the viewing is happening; I think people tend to forget.

I am not sure it's even shown at our Hall, have never heard an announcement. On a sad note my wife and I were talking to an older Sister who does not use electronic technology who does not see the videos unless they are part of the program. So I decided it was time to make some DVD copies for as she does have a DVD player.

So sorry Hope!

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

8 minutes ago, Hope said:

:crying:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

9 minutes ago, Hope said:

Our congregation has the showing of the Month's broadcast on the 2nd Saturday of every month.  However, this month, the semi-annual cleanup and maintenance projects were on the 2nd Saturday so we announced that for this month we will see it on the 3rd Saturday.  

Sometimes a lot of brothers and sisters come to see it (maybe 20 or so).  At other times it is just a small group of 7 or 8 that meet.  In all cases, the folks bring smacks and coffee and soft drinks to share after the program is over.  We meet at 2 pm.  The group does a light "clean-up" after the program is over.

We have several brothers that are capable (and assigned) to show the video.  We take turns, generally.

1 hour ago, DancesWithWife said:

I am not sure it's even shown at our Hall, have never heard an announcement. On a sad note my wife and I were talking to an older Sister who does not use electronic technology who does not see the videos unless they are part of the program. So I decided it was time to make some DVD copies for as she does have a DVD player.

So sorry Hope!

That's wonderful about the DVD... may I also suggest inviting her from time to time to watch it with you?  I always watch the Broadcast myself at home but I go to the Hall in order to support the arrangement (because I don't want it to go away) and it's nice to sometimes go out after and discuss with other friends.  No one to discuss with at my house..

1 hour ago, Omoyeme said:

So sorry to hear about the matter Uani.

The brother that does the JWB showing each month at our KH is a responsible/dependable brother.  (It's always the elderly who come for the broadcasts though.)

I'm not sure of the proper schedule but it seems to go between a brother from our congregation to a brother in the other English that shares our Hall.  The issue is (imo) is that there are never any reminder announcements about it.  Sometimes, I'll text a few friends asking/reminding them about the viewing but I didn't last night, so my bad I suppose.  :(

When I've reminded people, we've had upwards of ten or so from both congregations.  If I don't, it can be as few as two or three of us.  It could be very nice if there was more support... but without announcements, people tend to forget.  I have it as a reminder on my calendar, personally... it's the second Monday evening of each month.  This is the first time it hasn't happened.  I'd hate to see it disappear.

The broadcast is shown at our Hall on the third Saturday of each month and the congregation scheduled for hall care that month is responsible for the broadcast. 

I haven't heard any announcements yet...

I did the broadcast two months ago when it was our turn and only 5 people showed up, then I found out they had all seen the broadcast but came to the KH for the association. .

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 12:17 PM, Hope said:

There was an error in the first printing of the new grey Bibles... ^_^

pg. 267 

In the header, it should say: "NUMBERS 32:37-33:22"

However, one of the numbers is off: "NUMBERS 35:37-33:22"

Mine (the one that has this typo) is the August 2013 printing.  

My large edition is a February 2014 printing which does not have the typo. 

So they caught it pretty fast. 

15 hours ago, Hope said:

...even the brother assigned to show the presentation? :crying: Oh well, I suppose it's better the rest of them didn't come either. What a disappointment it would be if everyone showed up to see it, and there was no one to show it! :nope: