JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fossil found in India

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2339 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-41745976?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Scientists in India have discovered a 152 million-year-old fossil of an ichthyosaur - an extinct marine reptile - in the western state of Gujarat.

This is the first time an ichthyosaur fossil has been discovered in. 

• Often misidentified as "swimming dinosaurs", they first appeared in the early Triassic period (251 million to 199 million years ago)
  • The name means fish-lizard, although the creature has been classified as a reptile since the mid-19th Century

I love how in these comments reveals the agenda that people have been trying to push for evolution but there is sill no evidence for it. Calling it a "Fish lizard" but it's confirmed to be a pure reptile, not seeing any links yet! :lol:

Edited by EccentricM

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Call it what you will...

A dolphin, by any other name, is still a dolphin. ^_^

_81086297_fossilartistsimpression.jpg

Ichthyosaurs

If they were reptiles, then they aren't dolphins.  Dolphins are mammals.

They remind me of gar.

longnose-gar-by-ryan.jpg

Edited by Shawnster

We do NOT like it when we pull in a gar (we have ones called alligator gars) while fishing. They tend to swallow the hooks, making it hard to get them off (they hurt if they bite you) and they really tangle the dip net if you gram them with it before you see what you have on the line.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

We do NOT like it when we pull in a gar (we have ones called alligator gars) while fishing. They tend to swallow the hooks, making it hard to get them off (they hurt if they bite you) and they really tangle the dip net if you gram them with it before you see what you have on the line.

I  saw an article about Alligator Gar. The writer said to 'bring a telephone pole and a length of chain'....I thought that was an awesome description. 

I think I would like to catch some sometime,  I would enjoy that. 

I've caught small size sharks before(3' to 4'),  that is interesting. 

I have not had any problem catching the gar with my bass rod. They even fight like a bass - until they get into the boat, then they fight like a chain saw!

We used to have a 21' boat with an 8' stern. It had a 350 inboard engine with a merc sterndrive. It was an ex marine patrol boat (it was my mom's). It was a bit heavy and very stable in the water.

Now, we have a 16' aluminum with a 40 hp outboard. It is much narrower and way less stable - but not as unstable as a kayak.

Now, what does all this talk of boats and fishing have to do with the OP?

Well, I have fished in freshwater since I was a kid since I live near a lake in an area with many lakes. I have also fished in some rivers, particularly the St Johns and, I have also fished in the Atlantic - from shore fishing to 35 miles out. I have even been 95' down in the Atlantic.

I have never seen any "fish lizards" or any reptilian dolphins. I have seen plenty of fish from really small to quite large. I have also seen dolphins up close - I have even fed them the fish we had to throw back before we came in (yes, wild ones .... not those in captivity). I have seen reptiles in the water, but most of them were turtles or snakes.

14 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Now, we have a 16' aluminum with a 40 hp outboard. It is much narrower and way less stable - but not as unstable as a kayak.

Still a little off topic but..

I did some research before we got our yaks.  They are different hull design but both of ours are 'sit in' as opposed to 'sit on'..

The body weight is much lower in the water,  my seat is a few inches below the water line. It's pretty stable. 

I have seen the 'sit on' fishing yaks, they seem to be more tippy but the folks that use them say they're not. It just looks like,  to me, that they are gonna fall over any second. ..

Ok, back to the original subject. ...:rockon:

12 hours ago, MizPeg said:

One of the brothers, in our congregation, has a charter fishing business, and he can personally tell you that getting bit by a gar might be likened to a shark bite. He has pictures of his chomped on hand, when a customer caught one, and Joe was trying to release it safely. Nasty bite marks.

Just making fishing a little bit more exciting,  now it's a combat sport....:touche:

Slightly off topic but this is the ichthyosaur vertebrae my husband found on the beach at Lyme Regis in Dorset this year :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxuRsnWWxriDVDhTdXJqajcxU28/view?usp=drivesdk

And ive just noticed hes made a spelling mistake in his label:lol: hes already making  a  new one...

Edited by Peanuts