Making Pizza

Here are the recipes for the cast iron pizza

Pizza Dough

2    cups (11 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons bread flour
1 ⅛    teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
¾    teaspoon salt
1    tablespoon olive oil
¾    cup warm water (110 degrees)

1. Pulse flour, yeast, and salt together in food processor to combine, about 5 pulses. With processor running, add oil, then water, and process until rough ball forms, 30 to 40 seconds. Let dough rest for 2 minutes, then process for 30 seconds longer. (If after 30 seconds dough is very sticky and clings to blade, add extra flour as needed.)

2. Transfer dough to lightly floured counter and knead by hand to form smooth, round ball, about 1 minute. Place dough in large, lightly greased bowl, cover tightly with greased plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled in size, 1 to 1½ hours. (Alternatively, dough can be refrigerated for at least 8 hours or up to 16 hours.)

No-Cook Pizza Sauce

1    (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained with juice reserved
1    tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1    teaspoon red wine vinegar
2    garlic cloves, minced
1    teaspoon dried oregano

Process tomatoes with oil, vinegar, garlic, and oregano in food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to 2-cup liquid measuring cup and add tomato juice until sauce measures 2 cups. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.)

Instructions for cooking pizza
1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees. Grease 12-inch cast-iron skillet with 2 tablespoons oil.

2. Place dough on lightly floured counter, divide in half, and cover with greased plastic wrap. Press and roll 1 piece of dough (keeping remaining dough covered) into 11-inch round. Transfer dough to prepared skillet and gently push it to corners of pan. Spread 1/2 cup sauce over surface of dough, leaving 1/2-inch border around edge. Top with half of mozzarella.

3. Set skillet over medium-high heat and cook until outside edge of dough is set, pizza is lightly puffed, and bottom crust is spotty brown when gently lifted with spatula, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until edge of pizza is golden brown and cheese is melted, 7 to 10 minutes.

4. Using potholders, remove skillet from oven and slide pizza onto wire rack using spatula; let cool slightly. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon basil, cut into wedges, and serve. Being careful of hot skillet, repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, dough, sauce, mozzarella, and 1 tablespoon basil. Cut into wedges and serve.

Note:

I prefer a little more and some additional spices in my sauce. Also, the amount of garlic can be more or less according to taste.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 2 weeks later...

Made another one yesterday. Very simple recipie and healthy. I added a herb this time too which really gave it a kick (and no it wasnt shoes, I'm not that far gone to take up all of Wonka's methods yet, and neither was it mint sauce as I mistakenly experimented with before).  It was my best attempt yet, practice makes perfect. 

I used:

10-12 generous table spoons of whole flour

Lukewarm water (just adding a bit at a time to get the right consistency for the dough, should not be much more than a couple of millilitres or so)

Tablespoon of virgin olive oil

A ready made, natural tomato puree (Could make your own if you really wanted to by blending up tomatos after slicing and removing seeds)

A ready made basil sauce, just 1-2 teaspoons (or you might want to just use raw basil and chop it up, or make your own basil sauce with basil and olive oil)

A bag of grated mozzarella cheese

Make the dough combining the flour, water and oil. Kneed and roll it out into a flat round base. Put on the tomato puree (ammount you desire) and spread it all over, then place 1-2 teaspoons of the basil sauce in the middle and begin to spread it around the base as you did the puree. Put on the cheese all over to your liking and then cook it till it's done. :) 

If you follow it all to the letter and go the natural route with all your ingrediants you'll basically be making an historical pizza.  😄

Edited by EccentricM

52 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

Made another one yesterday. Very simple recipie and healthy. I added a herb this time too which really gave it a kick (and no it wasnt shoes, I'm not that far gone to take up all of Wonka's methods yet, and neither was it mint sauce as I mistakenly experimented with before).  It was my best attempt yet, practice makes perfect. 

I used:

10-12 generous table spoons of whole flour

Lukewarm water (just adding a bit at a time to get the right consistency for the dough, should not be much more than a couple of millilitres or so)

Tablespoon of virgin olive oil

A ready made, natural tomato puree (Could make your own if you really wanted to by blending up tomatos after slicing and removing seeds)

A ready made basil sauce, just 1-2 teaspoons (or you might want to just use raw basil and chop it up, or make your own basil sauce with basil and olive oil)

A bag of grated mozzarella cheese

Make the dough combining the flour, water and oil. Kneed and roll it out into a flat round base. Put on the tomato puree (ammount you desire) and spread it all over, then place 1-2 teaspoons of the basil sauce in the middle and begin to spread it around the base as you did the puree. Put on the cheese all over to your liking and then cook it till it's done. :) 

If you follow it all to the letter and go the natural route with all your ingrediants you'll basically be making an historical pizza.  😄

You didn't need to let the dough rise..you just rolled it out right away, or just not mentioning the obvious...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I tried the 2 ingredient pizza dough. It had kinda an interesting almost cheesy taste. Could be cuz of older yogurt tgo. Or maybe it's how it's supposed to taste. Might try Matt and John's pizzas too.

I already make my own tomato puree with tomatoes, white cooking wine, basil, parsley, garlic, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper and some mushrooms, and boil it a little before putting it on the pizza dough.

• 11 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 11:34 PM, Katty said:

I already make my own tomato puree with tomatoes, white cooking wine, basil, parsley, garlic, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper and some mushrooms, and boil it a little before putting it on the pizza dough.

That's basically my ingredient list also, minus the cooking wine and mushrooms.

There's nothing like homemade pizza sauce!