JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

We try to eat simple. I steam most of the vegetables. I do several at a time. The dense veggies, (squash, carrots, etc, go in first, then the fluffier veggies, (cauliflower, broccoli) get that 20 minutes...

We buy the, sorry for the term, expensive chicken. It leads a decent life, and is killed decently. Then we eat the poor thing. Baked. We eat beans and brown rice. Whole grain bread, on occasion. 

In the tomatoe season, salads are wonderful. But, kale and cabbage salads are fine, too. Winter. (Dressed up with raisins, seeds, nuts, even fruit!) I get the best dressings possible. I am not a dressing person, and actually need to make my own. To me, some are stale tasting, upon opening. Same with mayonnaise. If the salad is good enough, skip the dressing. 

We do eat red meat, but not in excess. Chicken, beans, tofu. Tofu. I know there are mixed reports, but we have to eat, and it’s a decent protein. We cook it like a steak, using avocado oil and amino acids, (Braggs) we use that instead of tamari. Golden brown, a little crispy...

No fake butter. (One molecule from plastic) 

We enjoy eggs, dairy products, also. Mixed reviews there, but, as I said, we have to eat! And drink. I don’t use low fat anything. The eggs are local eggs. A little pricy, but there is a real difference in the taste. 

We use local honey. 

We do have smoked salmon and even acorn soup. (Acorn soup, not regularly, a real process to process the nuts, but we can,  and do the process)

Yes, we eat pizza, ice cream and treats, moderately . I’m a firm believer that if you eat sensibly most of the time, those treats are well deserved. 

Today, we are eating smoked salmon soup, from yesterday, and, maybe a salad for our mid day meal.

We are older and eat in the morning, and at mid day, well, later, about 2:30. Then, maybe popcorn in the evening. 

I take supplements daily also.  

And, I try to eat what is local and seasonal. I will never adjust to watermelon and grapes in the winter time! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

That sounds like my dream way of eating!  :coffee:

I like healthy food but I tend to get sugar cravings a lot, too. Now, I'm trying to get used to oatmeal for breakfast. And eat beans more often. My husband has been making Greek chicken salads for his lunch. 

What do you do when you get sugar cravings?

Any day now...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 2 weeks later...

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants"

This statement from Michael Pollon was in the Awake a few years back. I liked it. 

Generally I eat healthy and home cooked. But my downfall is chocolate. I would eat way too much sugar if I wasn't careful. Recently I started to eat less often but larger meals. It works better for me. I really try to listen to my body and especially whether I am really hungry or just feeling like topping up.. :-) 

When I have the time and energy, which is nearly never... I eat a lot of vegetables and drink a lot of water.  I enjoy certain types of fruits (cherries, grapes, apples, oranges, kiwi, etc) I limit the amount of meat I eat, though I do try to incorporate fish (which I don't really like most of, I can tolerate tuna).  I enjoy eggs, fried, boiled, scrambled.  

I like oats, barley, bran, flax, hemp, and I like my breads to contain them as the first ingredient on the list.  I enjoy non-hydrogenated margarine, and butter.  

A sample meal for me would look something like this: 

Morning 

1 cup of decaf coffee (2 cream, 2 sugar)

1/2 bagel (12 grain or cinnamon raisin) with butter and egg/cheese on it

Mid morning snack

Raisins

Apple, orange, celery, cucumbers you name it, if its crunchy I like it

Afternoon 

Chicken/Pork

Salad, with strawberries, pecans, almonds, raspberry vinaigrette 

Pear 

Afternoon snack

Something bad, so I don't cave to something worse (sometimes I'll sneak down when I'm in the office and order lemon fried chicken)

Something good, like a banana

Supper

Sometimes if I've eaten all day, I won't eat supper

Pork chops, chicken, beef something 

Tonight I had chicken fajita's with several different types of peppers (yellow and red) with marble cheddar, and dipped it in salsa, because my Mother in Law made us some!  Yay! 

Now I'm headed out for my first coffee of the day, because I haven't had any yet. 

I know nothing about this thread.  Eating healthy that is! Never had a weight  problem till I started taking 155mgm Prednisone daily x 4 yrs.  if anyone knows about steroids /Prednisone you know the medical profession (and patients) have a love - hate relationship with it!  My oncologist use to say it was a wonder drug!  Wonder when it was going to kill you! With that being said, I've always cooked with quality ingredients.  No sugar free, fat free anything.  Sauces, cheese,, gravy on everything.  Within the last 10 years I started roasting more veggies but still like them with sauces, cheese and butter.  

When I was growing up we always had sweets in the house.  I think I'm missing something if I do not have some sort of sweet daily.  Rarely fix or eat breakfast now but when the kids were home ALWAYS a full hot breakfast every morning. Lunch light, soup, salads, sandwiches. And a big family sit down dinner.  As kids turned into teenagers and busy schedules did delivery, fast food 3-4 times week.  Bad I know.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I know nothing about this thread.  Eating healthy that is! Never had a weight  problem till I started taking 155mgm Prednisone daily x 4 yrs.  if anyone knows about steroids /Prednisone you know the medical profession (and patients) have a love - hate relationship with it!  My oncologist use to say it was a wonder drug!  Wonder when it was going to kill you! With that being said, I've always cooked with quality ingredients.  No sugar free, fat free anything.  Sauces, cheese,, gravy on everything.  Within the last 10 years I started roasting more veggies but still like them with sauces, cheese and butter.  
When I was growing up we always had sweets in the house.  I think I'm missing something if I do not have some sort of sweet daily.  Rarely fix or eat breakfast now but when the kids were home ALWAYS a full hot breakfast every morning. Lunch light, soup, salads, sandwiches. And a big family sit down dinner.  As kids turned into teenagers and busy schedules did delivery, fast food 3-4 times week.  Bad I know.

It’s not just weight problems that might merit healthier eating habits, but also “invisible” issues, like blood lipids, sugar levels, etc. A seemingly simple thing like keeping salt levels in check is extremely difficult these days, especially if you eat a lot of semifinished, or readymade foods. Some nutritionists claim that the breakfast is an extremely important meal, so why skip it?

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

When I worked day shift it was too early to eT since I got up at 0430--I wanted every extra minute for sleep.  Now that I work nights I want to go straight home to bed after a 12-14 hr shift!  

My lab lab work is excellent, BP perfect 110/60 and hr is 70.  So for all the 'unhealthy' eating I do I guess the quality of my ingredients have saved me.  Overweight but not a blimp!  Would love to loose 30 lbs! But not enough to change my ways.  

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

When I worked day shift it was too early to eT since I got up at 0430--I wanted every extra minute for sleep.  Now that I work nights I want to go straight home to bed after a 12-14 hr shift!  

My lab lab work is excellent, BP perfect 110/60 and hr is 70.  So for all the 'unhealthy' eating I do I guess the quality of my ingredients have saved me.  Overweight but not a blimp!  Would love to loose 30 lbs! But not enough to change my ways.  

Does your weight affect your blood and your heart?

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Veggies always fill an entire half of my plate, usually steamed or raw. Green smoothies are lovely for breakfast, with low glycemic berries, fruits & kale. I could probably survive a year on nothing but eggs or whites, poached, steamed or scrambled. On occasion I enjoy funky aged cheeses, yogurts, kefir. I like all sorts of fish & meats, but rarely red; I didn't grow up with it so it's a bit foreign to me. Love cured/dried delicacies in moderation, like aged meats, but also pates. Love fats like avocado, olives & various nuts. I don't eat much bread, rice or pasta unless we're going to a convention and pack sandwiches & crackers for shelf-life reasons. I think most food is appropriate in moderation, but with quality over quantity. :)

Everyone's needs are going to be different and will be different at different stages of your life.  Jehovah made us to eat a wide variety of foods.  Doctors and health nutritionists have good recommendations.  You can eat as healthy as you want but it needs to be balanced out with moderate  exercise and rest.

Some recommendations for healthy eating

Eat fruit and vegi's first

Drink a glass of water 1/2 hour before a meal

Limit your red meat intake to the size of a deck of cards.

Limit your sugar intake

Limit your coffee intake

ok, now that I got that out of the way,  here is reality.

Eggs for breakfast everyday, I get cracking but I also scramble them with green peppers and onions and ham. toast on the side and dark roast coffee. and sometimes I'll have a potato patty.

I'm hypoglycemic and I work at a strenuous job so I need carbs.  I make my own muffins. Its a carrot recipe and I add, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, and blueberries and oatmeal to it. And the extra fiber is good all around too.

I love cookies. So I make oatmeal Choco chip (white and semi sweet choco chips) ones and try to  limit myself to one or two a day. . . . . . .ok this is a lie. I don't count them. 

Farmers market apple pie.....in moderation

Bananas. I go bananas for bananas.

Pasta with sauce and I add peas and broccoli right in .  Call me crazy and weird but don't call me late for supper.

whole wheat bread and brown rice are a healthier option than their white counter parts to help keep blood sugars from spiking or dropping  

Oh, and try not to eat past 6 pm is my motto.

Eat breakfast like a king. Lunch like a prince and supper like a pauper.

And for some comic relief - Mel Brooks -the 2000 year old man and what he eats. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mel+brooks+on+eating&&view=detail&mid=094CA3A6B07897CA6238094CA3A6B07897CA6238&&FORM=VDRVRV

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 7:13 PM, Vinnie said:

Oh, and try not to eat past 6 pm is my motto.

<-sigh->

I get up at 06:00 every day and I prefer to eat breakfast by 07:00, eat lunch at 12:00 and eat dinner/supper at 18:00.

My wife, the cook, gets up later, eats later and goes to bed later. We usually eat at 19:30 because that's when she gets hungry. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D