JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Movie about Sampson Wow

Ya um i was being sarcastic. Guess that didnt come through. Sampsons live was violent. What do you think you are reading when you read about his life?

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

26 minutes ago, Greg Dent said:

Ya um i was being sarcastic. Guess that didnt come through. Sampsons live was violent. What do you think you are reading when you read about his life?

I don't like sarcasm.

There's a difference between portraying violence for historical accuracy, and glorifying violence.

From the trailer it looks like a rubbish film. I will avoid it. I will probably listen to the reviews of brothers who watched it, and who more than likely dislike it for its gross inaccuracy and satanic slant, then I will carry on my life as normal. :D

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

Plus the violence he endured was sanctioned by Jehovah himself. He was a warrior so we should not be surprised when this movie shows violence in it. It was his life.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

If the Bible were accurately depicted on screen - especially the Hebrew Scriptures - there is no way it wouldn't be rated R.  There is TONS of violence in the Bible.  Even exactly as it happened (not "glorified for Hollywood") much of it would be hard to look at.  I just watched the trailer and it looks like I'd imagine a story about Samson to be.  :shrug:

Even a documentary of the Days of Atonement... thousands of animals slaughtered for sacrifice - all for a good cause but who wants to see it?  A lot of people did in real life, however.

Edited by Hope

I think the danger is making it about the violence, and maybe this movie wont - just like in the past with some versions of Moses it became about a battle between two brothers as in the Prince of Egypt not the vindication of Jehovah as it was about. No-one can say that the violence shouldn't be included, but knowing the world they will not only glorify it, but amplify  it until the message is lost.;Hope not in this case.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

It is indeed thanks for letting us know.  Just checked out some trailers on youtube ... not something I'd watch personally at this stage ... i'll wait for the critics before I decide for sure ... it looks barbaric ... in our movies although the violence is acknowledged  its not the focus. But hey will be interesting to see what people say about it.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

5 hours ago, Hope said:

If the Bible were accurately depicted on screen - especially the Hebrew Scriptures - there is no way it wouldn't be rated R.  There is TONS of violence in the Bible.  Even exactly as it happened (not "glorified for Hollywood") much of it would be hard to look at.  I just watched the trailer and it looks like I'd imagine a story about Samson to be.  :shrug:

Even a documentary of the Days of Atonement... thousands of animals slaughtered for sacrifice - all for a good cause but who wants to see it?  A lot of people did in real life, however.

Imagine how different this movie would be if it were made by the friends, rather than by the world.

Also, imagine how different that movie about Hezekiah would be if the world had made it instead...I'm sure that scene with the angel coming to kill the Assyrian army would have been a lot more detailed.

Is the movie about the truth, or is it about entertaining people by the use of violence?

I don't doubt what you're saying is true, regarding how the movie would be made if WHQ did it.  Just that... details are details and some consider them important.  The Bible is quite detailed about what happened to people - raped to death then cut into 12 pieces, hacking all over the place, thousands brutally circumcised.. etc.. :wacko:  These things were written.. should they *not* be shown?

Purely rhetorical and again - I get the point (I don't wanna see all that gore and horribleness).  Just that things can be just as bad to read as they are to see, imo.  Personally, I don't begrudge factual adaptations onscreen.  I don't have to watch it.. but I don't see anything wrong with depicting things as they were.

8 minutes ago, Hope said:

I don't doubt what you're saying is true, regarding how the movie would be made if WHQ did it.  Just that... details are details and some consider them important.  The Bible is quite detailed about what happened to people - raped to death then cut into 12 pieces, hacking all over the place, thousands brutally circumcised.. etc.. :wacko:  These things were written.. should they *not* be shown?

Purely rhetorical and again - I get the point (I don't wanna see all that gore and horribleness).  Just that things can be just as bad to read as they are to see, imo.  Personally, I don't begrudge factual adaptations onscreen.  I don't have to watch it.. but I don't see anything wrong with depicting things as they were.

Even the thousands of circumcisions? :sick:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 hours ago, Hope said:

The difference is that the Bible isn't glorifying the violence, it is merely keeping an accurate record and not hiding what really too place. The account in 2 Kings could easily have gone on and on about how each Assyrian soldier was killed by the angel, which would also be accurate, but the focus would have shifted somewhat. I'm sure if Hollywood made a movie about this they would really draw it out.

Chapters could have been written about the event, but instead, this is all the account says...

"On that very night the angel of Jehovah went out and struck down 185,000 men in the camp of the Assyrians. When people rose up early in the morning, they saw all the dead bodies." ~ 2 Kings 19:35.

I think the movie about Hezekiah did a good job at imitating the Bible, where it clearly shows that this event took place, but it doesn't draw out a lengthy scene of violence...and if they had've really drawn it out, what would be the point in doing that exactly? If Hollywood did the same, the point would certainly be to entertain people with the violence.

There's an interesting correlation to history. In ancient Rome, many people would go to see gladiators fight to the death in creative ways, but of course the 1st Century Christians wouldn't participate in that form of entertainment for obvious reasons. Now, in the last days of this system, things can be a lot more subtle, yet just as bad. We do not have people literally killing eachother in from of us when we go to see a film, but they have gotten very good at making the killing look realistic, and really drawing out the violent scenes. The focus of many of these films really is to entertain the plebeians by showing people killing eachother in more and more creative ways...Of course, we can reason that the people are just actors, and that nobody really is getting killed, however is it really all that different when it looks just as real as if someone were actually being killed by someone, and we are getting entertainment out of it?

I feel the need to reiterate: Violence is often used for historical accuracy, and not always glorified ~ in fact, some films are rather anti-violence or anti-war, and may even use violent scenes to shows the truth about wars, rather than to make it look appealing. The question is, is this film portraying violence for historical accuracy, or is it really drawing out the violence and gore, and trying to entertain the audience by use of the violence? Without watching the film, I cannot say, but I am very suspicious that that is indeed the case ~ and it would be a Satanic thing to do to make a Biblical account all about the violence rather than about Jehovah, and to mix lies in with it, and we can expect that such things would happen in Satan's world, especially in our time.

Then again, as I haven't seen this film, I could be misjudging it, and it could be done accurately without glorifying the violence or adding lies, and maybe they will even use the Divine Name where appropriate. If that is the case, then I would like to know.

One Heap! Two Heaps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Judges 15:16 Then Samson said: “With the jawbone of a donkey—one heap, two heaps! With the jawbone of a donkey I struck down 1,000 men.”

I prefer Reference Bible version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Bjern said:

Imagine how different this movie would be if it were made by the friends, rather than by the world.

I think a major reason our brothers go out of the way to avoid showing any violence is because many are very sensitive to it. Let's face it, there are several things that would be perfectly acceptable in themselves (like b***ds) but because of overly sensitive individuals we avoid it. I'm not complaining.... It is what it is. We don't want to stumble or offend others unnecessarily.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

13 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

I think a major reason our brothers go out of the way to avoid showing any violence is because many are very sensitive to it. Let's face it, there are several things that would be perfectly acceptable in themselves (like b***ds) but because of overly sensitive individuals we avoid it. I'm not complaining.... It is what it is. We don't want to stumble or offend others unnecessarily.

If I'm understanding this comment correctly, you are comparing beards with violence?

14 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Burt,

Those people who do violence use cars as well, they eat food and they use ties too. :) 

I think, such “overly sensitive individuals” would need to cultivate the balance view on such personal matters/choices as mustache, beard, makeup or clothing.

1 hour ago, Bjern said:

If I'm understanding this comment correctly, you are comparing beards with violence?

Both are things that offend people. True?

Both are viewed as things the organization chooses to avoid. True?

Both are intrinsically  woven throughout the scriptures. True?

Both in proper parameters have been sanctioned by Jehovah. True?

Are you starting to see the comparison?

True, there are many differences as well...but I was pointing out the similarities  to offer a reason why parts of certain biblical accounts are left out of the dramatizations.

It would offend some? True? Yes. No?

if displays of violence were totally wrong because they only glorify violence...I suspect certain biblical accounts would have been left out.....but they weren’t. True? :popcorn:

Edited by Pjdriver

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

20 minutes ago, Guri said:

Burt,

Those people who do violence use cars as well, they eat food and they use ties too. :) 

I think, such “overly sensitive individuals” would need to cultivate the balance view on such personal matters/choices as mustache, beard, makeup or clothing.

Guri, if I understand you about balance, I agree we need balance in all these areas.

Violence has often been used to execute bad people. And it will used again on a scale we can’t begin to imagine...and I think most of us will get to see it close up. It’s not pretty, just a reality.

Regarding the movie Samson, which I have not seen.... If the violence follows the description in scripture, I don’t have a problem with it. If others are offended by it just because “it’s violence”, I have no problem that they decide not to watch it. 

If the movie goes way off track in the story line, then I have no desire to see it. In a biblical account I prefer to watch as close of a portrayal as possible. But maybe that’s just me. :coffee: