JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Movie about Sampson Wow

51 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

Both are things that offend people. True?

Both are viewed as things the organization chooses to avoid. True?

Both are intrinsically  woven throughout the scriptures. True?

Both in proper parameters have been sanctioned by Jehovah. True?

Are you starting to see the comparison?

True, there are many differences as well...but I was pointing out the similarities  to offer a reason why parts of certain biblical accounts are left out of the dramatizations.

It would offend some? True? Yes. No?

if displays of violence were totally wrong because they only glorify violence...I suspect certain biblical accounts would have been left out.....but they weren’t. True? :popcorn:

Burt,

Let me comment on that. :D 

Both are things that offend some people but not all, and if someone is offended by your mustache, by my neatly trimmed beard or by the makeup of some pioneer sisters, we can't remove all these things just because someone doesn't like them or is "offended" by them. It's impossible to please everybody, no matter what you do. Therefore I Wouldn't  put on the same level these two things: violence and facial hair.

Both aren't viewed as things the organization chooses to avoid because the organization condemns the violence but not the mustache or beard.

Many things are intrinsically woven throughout the scriptures but we don't try to get rid of all them, do we?

Both in proper parameters have been sanctioned by Jehovah but never viewed beard and mustaches in negative light. :coffee:

The classic :

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0041838/

Samson and Delilah (1949)

Not Rated  |  131 min  |  Adventure, Drama, History

When strongman Samson rejects the love of the beautiful Philistine woman Delilah, she seeks vengeance that brings horrible consequences they both regret.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

For something that there is no longer a problem with there seems to be enough images in the magazines that seems to say the opposite. Here is the latest in a bunch. Why draw attention again and again if there is no issue. Why not just show folks by means of their clothing coming into the truth or returning? The only issue is nobody will directly say no to you anymore. This is the latest in a list of images and videos since that article that mentioned beards under the heading of Use your free will wisely. It’s up to you what you do as it’s your free will.

Why bother even drawing attention to folks shaving as they return or come into the truth in images if there is no problem whatsoever? Again and again?

This is a genuine question. Why keep pointing it out in the magazines and videos if there is no issue anymore? Makes no sense.

2018247_univ_cnt_2_xl.jpg

Edited by Mykyl

Mykyl,

I do not see in this picture that Governing body is "hinting" to us that the facial hair is bad/unacceptable and we should get rid of it. I think its just an illustration of a criminal man that's all. . We had an article recently of the real story of a man who progressed spiritually and the slave wrote that he neatly trimmed his beard, [not shaved]. If you think that the slave "talking" to brothers with this photo and wants us to remove the facial hair, then as you see the photo on right side, he has shaved off his mustache as well as beard. Should you/we expect that all elders who have beard and mustaches immediately should shave them off? :)  

21 minutes ago, Guri said:

Mykyl,

I do not see in this picture that Governing body is "hinting" to us that the facial hair is bad/unacceptable and we should get rid of it. I think its just an illustration of a criminal man that's all. . We had an article recently of the real story of a man who progressed spiritually and the slave wrote that he neatly trimmed his beard, [not shaved]. If you think that the slave "talking" to brothers with this photo and wants us to remove the facial hair, then as you see the photo on right side, he has shaved off his mustache as well as beard. Should you/we expect that all elders who have beard and mustaches immediately should shave them off? :)  

As I pointed out this is just an example of the latest one in an expanding list of images and videos I had noticed. The latest drama at the convention for one. Remember the wife of Lot. It just seems crazy to draw attention to it when there are many other ways to show someone making changes.

The article you pointed out is regarding someone who never finally came into the truth as he unfortunately died. He was progressively making changes though. 

Edited by Mykyl

Mykyl, 

In that case I would like to ask you, what do you think: Are you saying that the spiritually matured man would haved removed the mustache and beard? Should you/we expect that all elders who have beard and mustaches immediately should shave them off?

Edited by Guri

Clarification

6 minutes ago, Guri said:

Mykyl, 

In that case I would like to know what donyou think: Are you saying that the spiritually matured man would haved removed the mustache and beard? 

I have no idea. I just wonder why they keep using it in illustrations and videos if there is no issue with it. If they were historic illustrations from the past, perhaps 70s or 80s then I can understand that but not modern ones.

Personally I would have thought they would have stopped using it as an illustration if it no longer mattered. 

Edited by Mykyl

Just now, Mykyl said:

I have no idea. I just wonder why they keep using it if there is no issue with it.

Mykyl,

If the photos printed in magazines confuse you, may asking the question to the gaverning body would be helpful brother. Don’t you think so? 

If the slave would think the mustaches and beards are bad and christian men shouldn’t have them, we would know it in print, by the publications and by the letters sent to the congregations, as a clear instruction.

I think the illustrations/photos/images where brothers are without a facial hair (moustaches or beards) is chosen by the slave  to make it fit to the most of the cultures and lands in the world and it doesn’t  necessarily mean that it is the dress code for every men in the world no matter where he lives. I’m not arguing with you and not proving anything to you, I just wrote what I think about the illustration found in our publications. 

11 hours ago, Guri said:

Burt,

Let me comment on that. :D 

Both are things that offend some people but not all, and if someone is offended by your mustache, by my neatly trimmed beard or by the makeup of some pioneer sisters, we can't remove all these things just because someone doesn't like them or is "offended" by them. It's impossible to please everybody, no matter what you do. Therefore I Wouldn't  put on the same level these two things: violence and facial hair.

Both aren't viewed as things the organization chooses to avoid because the organization condemns the violence but not the mustache or beard.

Many things are intrinsically woven throughout the scriptures but we don't try to get rid of all them, do we?

Both in proper parameters have been sanctioned by Jehovah but never viewed beard and mustaches in negative light. :coffee:

Guri, 

Your focused on the wrong point.

My point was not about beards being good or bad. As I think you  know, I personally don’t have a problem with beards....but I m done with that conversation. That’s another thread.

My only point was how others in the organization react to certain things and are sensitive about them. Like violence and beards. Right or wrong, that is just I fact I was pointing out.  Each of them are not wrong in themselves. It’s how some view them....that’s the point!

Again this is not the place to go off into a discussion about beards.

I’m not even saying the GB views them as the same thing. The only similarity is the fact that many are sensitive about them and that they are not wrong in themselves. .

So no need to defend beards to me. You’re preaching to the choir. I hope I clarified that my brother. :)

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Brother Burt, 

I'm not focused on wrong point brother and I do not try to defend beard as it does not need to be defended and not preaching to you or anyone about it. I just analysed your comment and wrote my view on it and tried to show you why I personally would not line up (compare) the facial hair (Mustache and beard) with the violence! They are simply Irrelevant! I do understand that you have completely different view on this subject and we both have equal right to have different view on it and still be happy servants of Jehovah. :) 

1 hour ago, Guri said:

Brother Burt, 

I'm not focused on wrong point brother and I do not try to defend beard as it does not need to be defended and not preaching to you or anyone about it. I just analysed your comment and wrote my view on it and tried to show you why I personally would not line up (compare) the facial hair (Mustache and beard) with the violence! They are simply Irrelevant! I do understand that you have completely different view on this subject and we both have equal right to have different view on it and still be happy servants of Jehovah. :) 

Guri, you really haven’t noticed the similarity that people are offended by both those things?????

Because that’s basically all I was saying. Nothing more. Not whether they’re are justified or not. I don’t think being offended is really justifiable just a personal thing.

if you can say yes to my question above then we do have the same view.

Edited by Pjdriver

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

31 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

Guri, you really haven’t noticed the similarity that people are offended by both those things?????

Because that’s basically all I was saying. Nothing more. Not whether they’re are justified or not. I don’t think being offended is really justifiable just a personal thing.

if you can say yes to my question above then we do have the same view.

Burt,

Dear brother the thing is that I can see more then that but that is another thread and I would not like to continue with this anyway. I know your view and you know my view and what is more importantly, we know Jehovah's (from the Bible) and the Slave's view. Therefore I do not see the need to continue.

20 hours ago, carlos said:

Friends, this is not a beard thread, it's about a Samson movie in particular and violence in Bible-based movies in general. Please do not hijack the topic into a beard thread to keep beating the dead horse.

Thank you Carlos!

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

23 hours ago, carlos said:

Friends, this is not a beard thread, it's about a Samson movie in particular and violence in Bible-based movies in general. Please do not hijack the topic into a beard thread to keep beating the dead horse.

Sorry Carlos, I just mentioned there was a simularity in 2 things that offend many friends, and it was misunderstood and the hijacking commenced.

Sorry brothers & sisters....it was not intentional. :zipmouth:

• 1 month later...