JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Moms are the best

Moms are great no matter how old you get. My mom sent me a package of her fig cookies. Growing up, I enjoyed my grandmothers fig cookies, but Mom went one step further and added more stuff to them to take them over the top. Oh so good. Filled with figs, raisins, almonds and chocolate, topped with a sweet sugary glaze.  What's your favorite food your mom made when you were  growing up??

IMG_20171103_214751.thumb.jpg.91e78a5cfc7bf8f36c084e1f8cd8c833.jpg

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

None, but my dad was an excellent at baking. Of course, none of them as excellent as a brother who couldn’t have any kids but who used to bake for us.

Any day now...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Image result for blackberry pie

Flaky fresh picked wild blackberry pie a la mode                     

Applesauce & Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Pineapple Filled Cookies, Rolled/Twisted Anise Sugar Cookies, Apple Crisp, Apple Pie, Dutch Apple Pie, French Apple Pie, Pineapple Upside-Down Cake, Pineapple Pie, Lemon Bars, all kinds of Spice Cakes, Fruit Bars, Brownies, Fudge, Jello, and anything else in the vintage 1950s Betty Crocker Cookbook... oh wait, we're not just talking about desserts? My mother's homemade Italian sauce with lamb meatballs, Parmesan & Romano cheese and baked pasta or homemade German Spaetzel, Lasagna, Stuffed Ravioli, Enchiladas, Mediterranean Stir Fry, even just Garlic Bread or Roasted Carrots & Parsnips... sigh... you can't ask me to choose, I can't even remember most of them. :< Maybe I'll be able to eat some of it again in the new system when the current agricultural system stops causing Intestinal Permeability. We've had to completely change our diets in the past 5-6 years. Mom's cooking always showed how much effort she went to to make us smile. :wub:

• 2 months later...

Mom was a baker & cook, cooking for Lyons, Rotary and a few other business social clubs for over 20 years. While she had many great desserts my personal favorite was Cool Whip Pie. So simple, lite and yummy.

Buy a Graham Cracker Crust pie shell.

Buy Cool Whip sufficient to nicely overfill it.

Put the Cool Whip into a bowl.

Add Instant Coffee and powdered Hot Chocolate to the Cool Whip and thoroughly mix with electric mixer flavoring to your taste.

Overfill and shape to preference.

Place in refrigerator for sufficient time to set. (Sorry it has been a while since I made it and don't remember how long to set)

Cut and serve.

i look forward to making it for her in the resurrection. If we have good substitute ingredients!!

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

I guess I would have to say my Mom's spaghetti was my favorite - and, no - she was not Italian

I know that you didn't mean this in any way to be bad, I just have been seeing this term, 'mom's spaghetti' a lot in the last few months so I just looked it up. 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mom's spaghetti

It looks like it means to 'choke under pressure'....

No - I meant exactly what I said .....

She made her red sauce homemade even though she did use dried pasta in a box. I was talking about EXACTLY what the thread is about ..... FOOD.

:confused:

:depressed:

I'm sorry I commented in this thread .....

:shutup:

Edited by Qapla

Decided my additional comment was not needed

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

45 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I know that you didn't mean this in any way to be bad, I just have been seeing this term, 'mom's spaghetti' a lot in the last few months so I just looked it up. 

This is actually funny! Why would you look for ulterior meaning for "spaghetti" in a topic about Mom's and what they cooked? :) 

56 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Hey, do you remember when mom cooked a huge stock pot of spaghetti for the family and Howard H came over, grabbed a serving spoon and ate the whole pot?

:o I bet she could have choked him!

Back on topic, mom wasn't a great cook but she fed 6 kids just fine...

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

22 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I'm sorry I commented in this thread .....

John, I finally realized why these conversations are called threads. They weave back and forth and sometimes end up in a knot but they still hold things together.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

54 minutes ago, Musky said:

This is actually funny! Why would you look for ulterior meaning for "spaghetti" in a topic about Mom's and what they cooked? :) 

I did not find it amusing in the least ....

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

49 minutes ago, Musky said:

I thought I was fairly clear.

I was not looking for ulterior meanings..odd that you would think that of me....

Be that as it may--

Qapla's post prompted me to research something for myself,  I shared the results here.

I certainly wasn't trying to upset anyone,  it was plain personal curiosity on my part. ...

2 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I did not find it amusing in the least ....

My Brother,  I am sorry I offended you. 

I was not intending to cause bad feelings and I apologize for causing you any....

As stated,  I had heard that term used a number of times,  outside of a cooking /food context, and knew it had a alternative meaning.  Your post, using that term, piqued my interest and I satisfied my curiosity. 

That had nothing to do with your post except that your post was a prompt for me...

Again,  I am sorry I caused you to be upset. 

Urban Dictionary is disturbed. :no:

I finally realized where I've seen Turtle's avatar before, my dad grew up reading and learning to draw from Pogo.
That's explains the swamp-speak... I wonder if his mom's food ever tasted like rusty old campaign buttons?

1 hour ago, tekmantwo said:

I was not looking for ulterior meanings..odd that you would think that of me....

I apologize, the word I should have used was "alternative" not "ulterior"  which can imply evil intentions. Please excuse my poor grammar. And you don't really want to know what I think of you, do you? (A JOKE) :lol1:

Edited by Musky

Typo

My mom would make spaghetti and start it by cooking burger, garlic, onion and celery. I loved the basic meat mixture so much I asked her if she could just make something from the meat mixture. None of us knew I was allergic to tomato so the finished product made me repulsed with spaghetti.

I now make meat, garlic, celery, and onion into some really great recipes.

Thanks for this thread.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I know that I am really too new to comment, but I also know that even in many of the world's topical forums, off thread topic comments are neither wanted nor appreciated, even more so if they can be easily misconstrued. I thought this thread was about food. If someone wants to share something from far left field with an individual about an alternate meaning or understanding of their comment, then share it in private. Just like speech, only more so, everyone here has ample opportunity to "think before they post". This is disappointing.