JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Everything Doesn't Have to be Optimized"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1046 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Was that part where a brother was given a new assignment and an older brother reminded him that it doesn't have to be perfect, it was more important to be loving than to be perfect?  Not everything has to be optimized? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Was that part where a brother was given a new assignment and an older brother reminded him that it doesn't have to be perfect, it was more important to be loving than to be perfect?  Not everything has to be optimized? 
He was doing the territories I think

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, And_Ray said:

Thanks, that's the video about the territory but I seem to remember there was another part about having to make sure everything was just perfect..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

This subject reminded me of the old "Quick-Build" days before the RBC and LDC.  At our "kick-off" meeting, the brothers reminded us that efficiency was not the total focus of the project.  We were to include as many of the volunteers as possible.  So on one project we had to unload pallets of red bricks to be used in the facade.  The bricklayers needed a steady supply near their workstations.  Some organizers wanted to use a fork-lift truck to move the pallets from the parking area to the other side of the building.  The brothers in charge rounded up about 70 volunteers (including young ones), and had them form a "conga-line" around the building and pass the bricks from hand-to-hand and then restack them.

Everyone participating enjoyed the work, were laughing and singing and even the younger ones felt that they were valuable in Jehovah's service.  We could have done it much more efficiently if we had "optimized" the procedure.  These are fond memories.

Back in 1978 I attended the International Convention held in New Orleans.

We were asked to unload the truck(s) that had the new publications. They needed to get out of the truck at the loading dock, moved through the warehouse to the freight elevator, up a couple flights and taken to a large empty room down the Hall.

While it may have been easier to use a forklift, as it turned out, it would not have been quicker. There was a call for volunteers. The Brothers expected about 20-50 Brothers to come help. I was in the truck lifting boxes from the stack and handing them back. Each time we cleared a row and stepped up, those we were handing them to were still right there directly behind us. As we moved deeper into the trailer, more brothers were added to the line inside the truck. After the truck was about half empty they told us in the front to take a break and replaced us with "fresh bodies" (it was rather hot in there)

When I got out of the truck I got to see why the emptying process was going so fast. The line of Brothers came out of the truck, went across the loading dock, weaved around the other things in the way and ended at the elevator. They were placing the boxes on pallet jacks outside the elevator. As soon as the doors opened, the empty pallet jacks (they were taking them up three at a time) were pushed out and the full ones were pushed in. The Brothers started loading the now empty pallet jacks for the next load.

I got to go up the elevator to where the boxes were going. When the doors opened, they pushed the full pallet jacks out of the elevator and there was another line of Brothers emptying the pallet jacks right there outside the elevator. They pushed three empty pallet jacks into the elevator and began on the full ones they had just taken out. The line of Brothers extended down the hall all the way to the room where they were being sorted and stacked.

We emptied three semi-trailers in under an hour with all the boxes moved, sorted and stacked.

That was the longest line of Brothers all doing a single task I have ever seen or had the privilege of being part of. If we had used a forklift there would have been several hundred Brothers disappointed.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 hours ago, And_Ray said:

Hmmm... I don't think this is it.  It wasn't a vignette.. it was just a brother giving a talk, either as a morning worship or an actual talk.  And he actually said, "everything doesn't have to be optimized", referring to the fact that, despite perhaps knowing a better/more efficient way to accomplish something, it's often best to hold back to see what transpires rather than run ahead.

Hello.

Robert Luccioni - Develop the Tongue of the Wise Ones (Prov. 12:18)

That point starts at 5'02"

We cannot optimize everything

The one that can be used the most by Jehovah is the one who can take an imperfect process, and make it work

I easily remember that talk because i'm concerned by overthinking things.

1 hour ago, PaulN said:

Perfect! That's the one that I was trying to remember,  I hope that is the one Hope is looking for...

1 hour ago, PaulN said:

Hello.

Robert Luccioni - Develop the Tongue of the Wise Ones (Prov. 12:18)

That point starts at 5'02"

I easily remember that talk because i'm concerned by overthinking things.

THANK YOU, YES!!!!  :D  This is what I have been looking for!

Side point -- having a better search function or dates associated with talks/morning worships would help optimize things.... but that's just me, probably... ^_^:innocent:B)

You brothers here optimal... thank you!  :wub:

1 minute ago, Hope said:

Side point -- having a better search function or dates associated with talks/morning worships would help optimize things.... but that's just me, probably... ^_^:innocent:B)

You brothers here optimal... thank you!  :wub:

Not just you. :lol:

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

• 3 years later...
On 11/20/2017 at 10:37 PM, Hope said:

Does anyone recall that phrase?  It was a key point in a JW Broadcast talk around the beginning of 2016... it was about being patient and humble.

I believe it was a talk, but possibly a morning worship. Can anyone let me know how to find it, please?

I was just thinking how funny it is the little phrases that seem to hook in our memory…

or maybe it’s Holy Spirit bringing it back to your mind,,, Hope, maybe look out for a situation developing around you soon where this morning worship helps😉

Edited by Susan Cook

On 11/21/2017 at 2:01 PM, Hope said:

Hmmm... I don't think this is it.  It wasn't a vignette.. it was just a brother giving a talk, either as a morning worship or an actual talk.  And he actually said, "everything doesn't have to be optimized", referring to the fact that, despite perhaps knowing a better/more efficient way to accomplish something, it's often best to hold back to see what transpires rather than run ahead.

On your last sentence there.. did we ever hear a phrase “ Jehovah blesses obedience, not efficiency “… 

I can’t remember specifically, but it sounds like a phrase that could be from a Gilead talk or morning worship 

3 hours ago, Susan Cook said:

I was just thinking how funny it is the little phrases that seem to hook in our memory…

or maybe it’s Holy Spirit bringing it back to your mind,,, Hope, maybe look out for a situation developing around you soon where this morning worship helps😉

Sis, I STAY in situations where that morning worship helps! 😒😄  It is the single most listened to Morning Worship in my playlist. 

3 hours ago, Susan Cook said:

On your last sentence there.. did we ever hear a phrase “ Jehovah blesses obedience, not efficiency “… 

I can’t remember specifically, but it sounds like a phrase that could be from a Gilead talk or morning worship 

You see we figured out which talk it was some time ago, right? 😃