JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Explaining Things Simply

We are reminded not to over-complicate things in our ministry.

I am in a silly mood. For fun, please explain in simple terms why an experiment I did as a child was unsuccessful.

Knowing that I was capable of lifting my body weight, I stood in a carrier bag and pulled on the handles in an attempt to fly.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Other than to point out the obvious, that you would come down in Oregon or Washington, not California - I am not going to touch that one with a really long rope ......

But, I will ask one of my own:

How come we do not sound like ourself when we hear our own recorded voice.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Other than to point out the obvious, that you would come down in Oregon or Washington, not California - I am not going to touch that one with a really long rope ......

But, I will ask one of my own:

It's because when you speak you hear your own voice in two different ways. The first is through vibrating sound waves hitting your ear drum, the way other people hear your voice. The second way is through vibrations inside your skull set off by your vocal chords.

1 hour ago, Musky said:

I have a question. If the rotation speed of the earth is app. 1000 miles per hour, and you're in New York , why can't you go up in a balloon and wait three hours and then come down and be in California? :)

Because Californians don't like New Yorkers....

Sorry about that...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Because you have two ears and one mouth, so everything you say sounds different.  :whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Knowing that I was capable of lifting my body weight, I stood in a carrier bag and pulled on the handles in an attempt to fly.

You were smarter than the average kid. Most kids try to pull themselves up by their boot laces and eventually discover that can be done philosophically but not physically.

Try a bigger bag next time. If that doesn't work, try a suitcase and an airline ticket.

Edited by Tortuga

3 minutes ago, Musky said:

If dogs sweat from their tongues, what are their armpits for?

Deodorant.

If flea powder kills flea why aren't parents arrested when they buy baby powder?

On 02/12/2017 at 2:11 AM, Qapla said:

As you lifted up you also pushed down - thus preventing flight.

Is that simple enough :thumbsup:

How was I also pushing down? Pretty sure I was only pulling up. In fact I could feel the bag tightening around my feet.

Not convinced!

edit: So you are saying that if I did this on some scales it would show me getting heavier?

(I only usually weigh myself when I am descending in a fast elevator.)

Seeing as my thread has already been wrecked! - How can parrots make kissing sounds without any lips?

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

2 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Seeing as my thread has already been wrecked! - How can parrots make kissing sounds without any lips?

They aren't really making kissing sounds, they are just imitating other parrots. :whistling:

10 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

How was I also pushing down? Pretty sure I was only pulling up. In fact I could feel the bag tightening around my feet.

Not convinced!

edit: So you are saying that if I did this on some scales it would show me getting heavier?

(I only usually weigh myself when I am descending in a fast elevator.)

Ok, back to your original question .... In simple terms, you didn't fly because you weren't pulling up hard enough

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~