JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Amazon Australia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2304 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The initial scorecard on the Amazon launch in Australia — the prices aren’t that competitive and delivery times are generally no better than other retailers.

Morgan Stanley compared prices on 29 identical items on the Amazon Australia store with leading retailers, JB Hi-Fi, Rebel Sport, Myer, Coles and Woolworths.

Based on the analysis, consumer electronics are 13% more expensive on Amazon, Apparel and Sports are largely in line with leading retailers, but dry grocery is 13% cheaper on Amazon versus Coles and Woolworths.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/morgan-stanleys-first-impression-of-amazon-australia-is-the-offer-isnt-that-competitive-2017-12

I agree with the article ..prices are bit high.

If they continue along this path they will find Australian market challenging forcing them to be more competitive. (Brick stores often offer amazing deals) 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

The real value of Amazon is their customer service, even if the prices are occasionally higher.

With Amazon, if an item is broken, not as described, misdelivered, or has any other issue, Amazon will replace it within 24 hours, no questions asked.

With most other American mail-order companies, an issue with your order means a 60-day delay minimum, assuming that the retailer cooperates at all. If they choose not to cooperate, you typically have to issue a charge-back, and if that fails go to small claims court.

30 minutes ago, Stavro said:

With Amazon, if an item is broken, not as described, misdelivered, or has any other issue, Amazon will replace it within 24 hours, no questions asked.

Consumer law in Australia already provides for these sort of issues (though not for change of mind).  I think Australian consumers have been paying more for a long time, which is why we have embraced buying online for much cheaper prices (only to be slugged for delivery).  So Amazon needs to compete on price, not service.  I'm hoping that it is going to be cheaper because that is the only way prices will drop for all consumer items when the competition is there.  Otherwise, it will not be worth bothering with.  We'll have to see.  Perhaps the range of products itself will be the clincher.

11 hours ago, Stavro said:

The real value of Amazon is their customer service, even if the prices are occasionally higher.

With most other American mail-order companies, an issue with your order means a 60-day delay minimum, assuming that the retailer cooperates at all. If they choose not to cooperate, you typically have to issue a charge-back, and if that fails go to small claims court.

We already have an excellent laws inAustralia protecting consumer

Exchange or cash return is hassle free 

If prices do not drop on Amazon there is not much attraction to go to Amazon

Ebay is currently more competitive and unbelievably even some brick stores

I hope this changes soon

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I am not alone seeing prices as too high.

Mr Hall was hoping to buy a computer mouse, a protein shaker, a portable battery for his phone and a Christmas gift for his mum, but the prices didn't "tickle [his] fancy" so he is going to shop around.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/amazons-australian-launch-was-weirdly-underwhelming-20171123-gzr8gm.html

Just to give example:

Amazon sells certain TV series (1 season) for $20

JB-HI (brick) at the moment sells 2 seasons of the same TV series for $25

For $5 more I can get another season!

Another item:

Amazon Olympus Pen -F $1729 plus $16.50 delivery

Brick Australian store $1699.

DWI (grey market) online with Australian Warranty - solid service, tested for years by many Aussies  $1295

As Lucy stated, Australians in general shop around and Amazon is not offering value at the moment.

Edited by Gregexplore

RETAIL giant Amazon has been branded a “lame duck” after its Australian launch overnight revealed many products at significantly higher prices than local stores,

Strange pricing across the Australian site included the top model iPhone X priced at $370 more than Apple itself charges, and a Samsung 75-inch TV for $1000 over its recommended retail price, and $2504 more expensive than available in a store.

Is this a joke????? :o

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/business/amazon-australia-branded-a-lame-duck-due-to-high-prices-slow-deliveries-limited-stock/news-story/814c939a0e76d62f8df64a5a85f82e92

News link is for subscribers only, but I get what you mean.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/12/amazon-australia-launch-most-of-the-prices-suck/

Some tips for finding the bargains-

1. Search for full product names under 'relevance'
  2. DON'T CLICK ON THE FIRST RESULT. Scroll down and click through multiple pages to find the best price.
  3. Stick to a budget by using the Refine Price filter on the left-hand side of the site.
  4. Compare the cheapest Amazon price to other outlets via Google Shopping

Yes, Lucy ...

I do compare prices before departing with payment and seeing the page "Your payment is being processed" LOL

That's why I am shocked how expensive Amazon is :o

copied from your link: We spotted a run-of-the-mill USB-C to USB Adapter for $12,939.95. No, really. :lol1:

Edited by Gregexplore

In the US Amazon starts with the best price of an item and then prices get higher further on. Some are so unreasonable the further you go in line  that makes me wonder what that's all about, as if anyone would choose that price over the others before it.

One brand name, Ikea is always 3 up to as much as 10 times more on Amazon as the actual price at Ikea store or online. I can't understand the reasoning there unless it's because often the brick store is many miles and hours to drive to the closest one in their area, but Ikea offers online purchasing with a shipping fee that is still much less than Amazon's price.

But I still like Amazon for many things and reasons..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Anyone can sell on amazon, including bots, and sometimes those bots will break and price something absurdly high.

I'm sure I can find cherry-picked misprints from all your favorite retailers, but it would be idiotic for me to claim that these misprints are representative of daily prices across the entire chain of stores.