JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Thousands Forced to Flee Ventura Fire

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2319 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

It's happening again. :o Poor people in California...:(

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/05/us/ventura-county-fire-california/index.html

Southern California fire is 'out of control,' forcing thousands to evacuate

Ventura, California (CNN)Pushed by powerful Santa Ana winds, a fire spread with explosive speed to more than 30,000 acres Monday night and early Tuesday in Southern California's Ventura County, destroying dozens of buildings and forcing thousands to evacuate in the dark.

The fire began north of Santa Paula on Monday evening and spread into the edges of Ventura, a city of more than 100,000 people situated on the Pacific coast, the county sheriff's office said.

The fast-moving fire forced sheriff's deputies to scramble into neighborhoods and knock on doors to warn residents to evacuate.

By early Tuesday the fire had burned 31,000 acres in nine hours -- covering an area more than twice the size of Manhattan at a rate of nearly an acre per second.

About 150 buildings have been destroyed, the sheriff's office said, and more than 7,700 homes in Ventura and Santa Paula were under mandatory evacuation as fire officials warned the powerful winds could push flames further into Ventura.

Praying for our brothers and sisters in Ventura County, and LA.:(

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I lived in Santa Barbara for awhile about 40 years ago. I use to drive through Ventura every weekend, I had friends up in Ojai too. It's a pretty area.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-school-fire-20171204-story.html

December 5, 20017 7:10 am

A fast-moving, wind-fueled wildfire swept into the city of Ventura early Tuesday, burning 31,000 acres, destroying homes and forcing 27,000 people to evacuate.

At least 150 structures — including at least one large apartment complex — were consumed by flames, and many more were threatened as the fire crept about a quarter-mile away from City Hall.

But the destruction appears to be much worse as the sun rose Tuesday, revealing fire sweeping through whole neighborhoods in the hills above Ventura.

The fire hopscotched through hillside neighborhoods, burning some homes and sparing others. Some residents sensed the the worst might be over in the early hours of the morning when winds died down. But they picked up with a fury around daybreak, causing more destruction.

Fire officials said the intensity of the fire, coupled with the high winds, made it pretty much unstoppable.

"The prospects for containment are not good,” Ventura County Fire Chief Mark Lorenzen said at a news conference. “Really, Mother Nature is going to decide.”

The Thomas fire had burned 31,000 acres, but fire officials expected it would rip through at least 50,000 acres in the mountains between Santa Paula and Ventura. By 5:20 a.m.

Tuesday, winds were pushing flames toward Ojai Valley, authorities said.

“The fire is actively burning in the city of Ventura and there are homes and buildings actively burning at this time,” Ventura County Sheriff Sgt. Eric Buschow said.

The destruction comes in what was already the worst year on record for wildfires in California. In October, more than 40 people died and more than 10,000 structures were lost when fires swept through Northern California’s wine country.

400x225

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

We are stuck in Santa Clarita right now. We are driving through LA and saw smoke ahead of us and we thought it was the Thomas fire. It turns out there was another fire in Sylmar and we passed through the smoke, then we saw another fire ahead of us. The CHP started closing the freeway so we pulled off to get gas and lunch. We've been driving in circles for an hour with the Sheriff closing intersections just as we get to them...

Oh well, I found a restaurant open... we'll just wait it out.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

It looks like we are stuck. Google maps showed 2 road closures ahead of us when we got here, now there are over a dozen. If we had reached this area a few minutes early we might have missed it. Now the freeway and all the frontage road are closed. 

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

It looks like we are stuck. Google maps showed 2 road closures ahead of us when we got here, now there are over a dozen. If we had reached this area a few minutes early we might have missed it. Now the freeway and all the frontage road are closed. 

Well, we were able to get out. We couldn't get any traffic updates on the phones so we decided to look at the freeway and then get a room for the night. Fortunately the roadblocks were gone and the freeway was starting to move so we headed out of town. We did see some flames on the side of the road as we passed the burn area.

Richard, thanks for your text.  It looks like I better get on this site more often.  I didn't even realize you guys were still down south until I read your posts. I loved growing up with the Santa Ana winds but they are the bane of fire fighters that for sure. My prayers are with all those experiencing what we just went through up here. The January magazine is so timely!!!! <3 

19 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Well, we were able to get out. We couldn't get any traffic updates on the phones so we decided to look at the freeway and then get a room for the night. Fortunately the roadblocks were gone and the freeway was starting to move so we headed out of town. We did see some flames on the side of the road as we passed the burn area.

So happy to hear. Please take care brother, and everyone else who are in these areas currently. :(

4 minutes ago, Allabord4Jah said:

Is this fire anywhere near San Fernando?  I have family out there, and I have not heard from them at all.  

Yes, the Creek fire is north of San Fernando.

You can get better information if you Google Creek fire.

Thank you Tortuga, I called one more time and finally got a hold of my cousin.  He said that the fire isn't headed in his direction.  He is trying to save some of his property and business.  (He is not one of God's people).   I told him forget the property, life is more important.  He said he was okay and so was the rest of the family.    Thousands are leaving and he's worried about his material things.   How sad!  

A new fire started Thursday morning north of San Diego and east of the Carlsbad/Oceanside area. We were in Carlsbad last week however we were on the coast and the fire is inland.

We were in Carlsbad in 2014 when the Primrose fire started and we were evacuated.

23 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

We were in Carlsbad in 2014 when the Primrose fire started and we were evacuated.

It was the Poinsettia fire, not Primrose..

39 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Do turtles argue with themselves? Is there a name for this affliction?  :lol: I believe the first turtle on the left. Poinsettia it is!

14 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It was the Poinsettia fire, not Primrose..

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 hours ago, Old said:

Do turtles argue with themselves? Is there a name for this affliction?  :lol: I believe the first turtle on the left. Poinsettia it is!

I corrected an incorrect statement..:confused:

CNN says over 132,000 acres are now

burnt in California, and the fires and winds are still raging.

Almost a quarter of a million have been evacuated.  Power out in many areas.

So so sad.:(

Tuesday morning we drove through the smoke from the Creek fire and we were stuck in Santa Clarita by the Rye fire. The wind was moving the smoke and flames away from us but it's a good reminder to carry an emergency kit in the car and make sure there are face masks in the kit.

4 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I heard on TV this morning that the fires in California this year may amount to more in cost than the damage from the three hurricanes combined.

Weren't Texas and California talking about becoming independent? How would they get federal aid during a disaster?

57 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Weren't Texas and California talking about becoming independent? How would they get federal aid during a disaster?

My thought process exactly. They don't know what they're asking for.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

DECEMBER 13, 2017
UNITED STATES

Ongoing Wildfires Blaze Through Southern California

Ongoing Wildfires Blaze Through Southern California

Firefighters continue to battle six wildfires in Southern California, which have already burned over 250,000 acres in the counties of Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego, Santa Barbara, and Ventura.

Initial reports indicate that 484 publishers have evacuated their homes and most are being cared for by local brothers or family members living in safer areas. Additionally, six homes of our brothers have been destroyed and three others have been damaged. Local elders and circuit overseers are providing spiritual support and practical assistance to our brothers and sisters who have been affected.

We continue to pray for our brothers and sisters and look forward to the day when the words of Proverbs 1:33 are fulfilled: “But the one listening to me will dwell in security and be undisturbed by the dread of calamity.”

Media Contact:

David A. Semonian, Office of Public Information, +1-845-524-3000

On 12/8/2017 at 5:13 PM, Tortuga said:

All they would need to do is release a press notice that the are entering a trade agreement with Russia, the dollars would roll in. (:P)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.