JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Let us rejoice

I walked past some people (neighbors I know) who were talking about seasonal decor and a Jewish man was saying they should put up a manure. I knew he meant menorah, but didn't know if he was deliberately mispronouncing it and definitely did not join the conversation. Out of their earshot and into my car,  I unconsciously started to sing Hava Nagila to myself and wondered if I had picked up the actual Hebrew as a child, or if I was just singing in Mondegreen. 

Checked it out online and it seems I do know the original-language lyrics.  Looked up some info and found that it was originally commonly sung  by non-religious Jewish and Roma folk.  Historically, it was not connected to any specific celebration. 

Any body have a fave mondegreen?

Edited by kejedo

When my hubby sings the Bee Gees'

"I've Gotta Get a Message to You", 

he sings, "The creature looked at me

and he smiled."

Instead of "preacher".:D

He thought the guy on death row 

was having a close encounter of 

another kind.:D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Some well-known mondegreens:

• "Every time you go away/you take a piece of meat with you" (for " . . . take a piece of me with you," from the Paul Young song "Every Time You Go Away") 
  •  
  • "I led the pigeons to the flag" (for "I pledge allegiance to the flag") 
  •  
  • "There's a bathroom on the right" (for "There's a bad moon on the rise" in "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival) 
  •  
  • "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" (for the Jimi Hendrix lyric "Excuse me while I kiss the sky") 
  •  
  • "The ants are my friends" (for "The answer, my friend" in "Blowing in the Wind" by Bob Dylan) 
  •  
  • "I’ll never leave your pizza burning" (for "I’ll never be your beast of burden" by the Rolling Stones) 
  •  
  • "The girl with colitis goes by" (for "the girl with kaleidoscope eyes" in "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by the Beatles) 
  •  
  • "Dr. Laura, you pickled man-thief" (for the Tom Waits lyric "doctor, lawyer, beggar-man, thief") 
  •  
  • "the bright blessed day and the dog said goodnight" (for "the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night" in "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong) 
  •  
  • "The girl from Emphysema goes walking" (for "The girl from Ipanema goes walking" in "The Girl from Ipanema," as performed by Astrud Gilberto) 
  •  
  • "bow and arrow transplant" for "bone marrow transplant" 
  •  
  • "America! America! God is Chef Boyardee" (for "God shed His grace on thee" in "America, the Beautiful") 
  •  
  • "You’re the cheese to my pizza mine" (for “You’re the key to my peace of mind" from Carol King's "Natural Woman")
  •  https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-mondegreen-1691401

:huh::wacko::lol:

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

"Are you going to starve an old friend?"
   "Are you going to Scarborough Fair?"
   Scarborough Fair, Simon and Garfunkel

"Baking carrot biscuits."
   "Taking care of business."
   Takin' Care Of Business, Bachman-Turner Overdrive

"Donuts make my brown eyes blue."
   "Don't it make my brown eyes blue."
   Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue, Crystal Gale

"Got a lot of lucky peanuts."
   "Got a lot of love between us."
   Let's Hang On. Frankie Vallee and the Four Seasons

"What a nice surprise when you're out of ice."
   "What a nice surprise bring your alibis."
   Hotel California, Eagles

:D