JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum
GrumpysWife

Thursday, December 7 Take your stand against [Satan], firm in the faith.—1 Pet. 5:9.

Thursday, December 7

Take your stand against [Satan], firm in the faith.—1 Pet. 5:9.

Satan is at war with the anointed remnant and the “other sheep.” (John 10:16) The Devil’s goal is to devour as many of Jehovah’s servants as he can in the short time that he has left. (Rev. 12:9, 12) Can we win our fight against Satan? Yes! The Bible says: “Oppose the Devil, and he will flee from you.” (Jas. 4:7) Many scoff at the idea that Satan even exists. To them, Satan and the demons are fictional characters of novels, horror movies, and video games. Such people feel that no intelligent person believes in wicked spirits. Now, do you think that it bothers Satan that he and his invisible cohorts have been relegated to the world of folklore? That is not likely! After all, it is easy for Satan to blind the minds of those who doubt that he exists. (2 Cor. 4:4) Promoting the idea that spirits do not exist is one of the many ways that Satan uses to mislead people. w15 5/15 2:1, 2

Nice Greek words for Today’s text. 

For word /phrase 'take your stand against' 

Bible > Strong's > Greek > 436

◄ 436. anthistémi ►
Strong's Concordance
anthistémi: to set against, i.e. withstand
Original Word: ἀνθίστημι
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: anthistémi
Phonetic Spelling: (anth-is'-tay-mee)
Short Definition: I take a stand against, oppose, resist
Definition: I set against; I withstand, resist, oppose.
HELPS Word-studies
436 anthístēmi (from 473 /antí, "opposite/against" and 2476 /hístēmi, "to stand") – properly, take a complete stand against, i.e. a "180 degree, contrary position"; (figuratively) to establish one's position publicly by conspicuously "holding one's ground," i.e. refusing to be moved ("pushed back").

436 /anthístēmi ("oppose fully") means to forcefully declare one's personal conviction (where they unswervingly stand); to keep one's possession; ardently withstand, without giving up (letting go).

[436 (anthístēmi) was a military term in classical Greek (used by Thucydides, etc.) meaning "to strongly resist an opponent" ("take a firm stand against").]

NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from anti and histémi
Definition
to set against, i.e. withstand
NASB Translation
cope (1), oppose (1), has opposed (1), opposed (4), opposing (1), resist (5), resists (2).

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 436: ἀνθίστημι

ἀνθίστημι: perfect ἀνθέστηκα; 2 aorist ἀντέστην (imperative ἀντίστητε), infinitive ἀντιστῆναι; middle, present ἀνθισταμαι; imperfect ἀνθισταμην; (ἀντί and ἵστημι); to set against; as in Greek writings, in the middle, and in the perfect pluperfect (having present and imperfect force, Winers Grammar, 274 (257)) and 2 aorist active, to set oneself against, to withstand resist, oppose: perfect active, Romans 9:19; Romans 13:2; 2 Timothy 4:15 (R G). 2 aorist active, Matthew 5:39; Luke 21:15; Acts 6:10; Galatians 2:11; Ephesians 6:18; 2 Timothy 3:8; (2 Timothy 4:15 L T Tr WH). imperative, James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:9. Middle: present, 2 Timothy 3:8. imperfect, Acts 13:8. 

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
resist, withstand, oppose
From anti and histemi; to stand against, i.e. Oppose -- resist, withstand.

see GREEK anti

see GREEK histemi

For word 'firm' 
Bible > Strong's > Greek > 4731

◄ 4731. stereos ►
Strong's Concordance
stereos: hard, firm
Original Word: στερεός, ά, όν
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: stereos
Phonetic Spelling: (ster-eh-os')
Short Definition: solid, firm, steadfast
Definition: solid, firm, steadfast.
HELPS Word-studies
4731 stereós – (an adjective) properly, solid (firm); referring to what is immoveable (will not budge); stable (not changeable), standing fast without buckling or giving way (steadfast).

NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
a prim. word
Definition
hard, firm
NASB Translation
firm (2), solid (2).

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 4731: στερεός

στερεός, στερεά, στερεόν (Vanicek, p. 1131; Curtius, § 222), from Homer down, firm, solid, compact, hard, rigid: λίθος, Homer Odyssey 19, 494; strong, firm, immovable, θεμέλιος, 2 Timothy 2:19; τροφή, solid food, Hebrews 5:12, 14; στερεωτερα τροφή, Diodorus 2, 4; Epictetus diss. 2, 16, 39; tropically, in a bad sense, cruel, stiff, stubborn, hard; often so in Greek writings from Homer down: κραδιη στερεωτερη λιθοιο, Odyssey 23, 103; in a good sense, firm, steadfast: τῇ πίστει, as respects faith, firm of faith (cf. Winer's Grammar, § 31, 6 a.), 1 Peter 5:9 (see στερεόω, at the end). 

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
hard, strong, sure.
From histemi; stiff, i.e. Solid, stable (literally or figuratively) -- stedfast, strong, sure.

see GREEK histemi

The experiences of “those who have endured” teach us how to remain steadfast, reassure us that we can succeed, and remind us that our faithful course will be rewarded. So, we need to prepare our mind and heart, to train ourselves to do what is right and we need to do it NOW.