JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Baby, Baby where did our bugs go?

23 minutes ago, Dove said:

Not a way to spend your 62nd anniversary

:confused:  :confused:  :confused:

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I guess there could still be critters in wheat,  whether the grain structure has changed much or not.  Some other info on wheat: wikipedia, http://coloradowheat.org/2013/11/why-is-the-wheat-genome-so-complicated/ et.al.  I'm pretty happy that I avoid wheat. Even more so if it was crawling with wildlife because I'm spleeny.  Now, i could be talked into a morsel of that rare beef.  OT, the ferro rochet reports of creepy crawlers may or may not be true (has not been proven to be staged according to Snopes) but I'm passing on them, also. 

p.s. the article on getting rid of flour weevils (aka beetles) mentions sugar products like chocolate being infested, as well. 

Edited by kejedo

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

As to "dead" food - well, a piece of uncooked meat (pork/beef/lamb/chicken) that is left to sit will grow maggots even if it is stored in a container that does not let flies inside. I din't know about you, but the meat in my fridge is certainly not alive - so, you can see why an exception was taken about the assertion that "Dead food does not contain anything living because there is no life for them to exist on"

Are you saying that life occurs out of nowhere?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

20 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Are you saying that life occurs out of nowhere?

No, he said maggots can appear on dead meat left under glass..

He isn't the first one to say it..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Redi

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

No, I am not trying to say that "life occurs out of nowhere" and I am not talking about "spontaneous generation" - I was trying to ascertain what the term "dead food" meant.

Let me explain:

As more than one study has shown, if I take a piece of meat that I bought at the store and bring it home still sealed in the plastic wrap, open the package and make sure that, when I place it under glass, no flies land on it or come near it - and, I leave it there until it begins to rot, magots will, in time, cover the meat.

This is not because they spontaneously generated and they did not occur out of nowhere - the eggs were already in/on the meat. I did not put them there. I do not know when and how they got there - but, the birth of the magots shows they were there.

So - was the meat "dead"?

The same is true of the flour. If I keep the flour long enough or store it in the "right" condition, the "flour weevils" will show up. I did not put them in there and I cannot say just when the eggs got in there, I just know they must have been since the bugs hatched.

So - was the flour dead?

I was simply commenting on the comment about "dead food" - because, I don't know about you, I do not consider a piece of meat I bring home from the store as being "alive". I would think I would know the difference - I have helped butcher enough meat that was alive before it went from animal to meat.

Sorry if I confused you ....

Now, on to another comment:

3 hours ago, Dove said:

Our wedding anniversary today...December 10, 1955

Congrats - you are a bit ahead of us. Our 37th was December 6th

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 12/10/2017 at 3:29 PM, kejedo said:

One of my sons was opening a sealed cup of noodles (ramen type product) and there were a bunch of bugs, in,  and moths that flew out.  The package was sealed and no sign of entry, anywhere. They were there for some time.  I remember, long ago, finding some insect type in a pasta box that been in the pantry for quite a spell. I have heard a number of theories about these unpaying  guests. I was told that bug larvae are stuck in the waxy covering of the narrow, curly noodles. I rarely eat any of these grains, anymore, but would like the skinny on these thin noodles. Are they as non-nutritive and as toxic as I hear tell? I used to keep an emergency 6-pack of Chicken Mauruchan, and kept some in school for my students; have retired both practices now.   

Was there  a warning on the label saying? "Do not open - Pandora Box" :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 12/9/2017 at 6:29 PM, kejedo said:

One of my sons was opening a sealed cup of noodles (ramen type product) and there were a bunch of bugs, in,  and moths that flew out.  The package was sealed and no sign of entry, anywhere. They were there for some time.  I remember, long ago, finding some insect type in a pasta box that been in the pantry for quite a spell. I have heard a number of theories about these unpaying  guests. I was told that bug larvae are stuck in the waxy covering of the narrow, curly noodles. I rarely eat any of these grains, anymore, but would like the skinny on these thin noodles. Are they as non-nutritive and as toxic as I hear tell? I used to keep an emergency 6-pack of Chicken Mauruchan, and kept some in school for my students; have retired both practices now.   

Try putting bay leaves in your pantry where you store pasta, ramen, bread, etc.  Supposed to repel bugs.

3 hours ago, Dove said:

My, I think I opened a can of worms...:)

Gnats too, but don't worry, they will get strained out soon...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

No, I am not trying to say that "life occurs out of nowhere" and I am not talking about "spontaneous generation" - I was trying to ascertain what the term "dead food" meant.

Let me explain:

As more than one study has shown, if I take a piece of meat that I bought at the store and bring it home still sealed in the plastic wrap, open the package and make sure that, when I place it under glass, no flies land on it or come near it - and, I leave it there until it begins to rot, magots will, in time, cover the meat.

This is not because they spontaneously generated and they did not occur out of nowhere - the eggs were already in/on the meat. I did not put them there. I do not know when and how they got there - but, the birth of the magots shows they were there.

So - was the meat "dead"?

The same is true of the flour. If I keep the flour long enough or store it in the "right" condition, the "flour weevils" will show up. I did not put them in there and I cannot say just when the eggs got in there, I just know they must have been since the bugs hatched.

So - was the flour dead?

I was simply commenting on the comment about "dead food" - because, I don't know about you, I do not consider a piece of meat I bring home from the store as being "alive". I would think I would know the difference - I have helped butcher enough meat that was alive before it went from animal to meat.

Sorry if I confused you ....

Very well. Now I understand what you mean. Bacteria are everywhere on earth. And insects are almost as common. If they should end up in our foods (which they do), are they good or bad for us?

How is your store bought meat or flour (or whatever food) not “alive”? And is the answer important to us, or not?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I wasn't the one who brought up flour being dead, I was only commenting.

I will go now

Don't go, this is just starting to get interesting. :lol:.  

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

For the sake of explaining this in a hopefully satisfactory way, 'dead food' is food that has been overprocessed to the point of being utterly devitalized of any or most nutrients, so that it may sustain life for a time but will never promote health..it is of no value to the body..it is not really 'food'..it is 'dead'..

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 3:01 PM, Old said:

Sister Sandra, don't be taken back by contrary reponses, I would rate your posts as 9 out of possible 10. 

Thank you brother Jerry; coming from you that means a lot...:)

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..