JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The coolest hairstyle ever

Dreadlocks are my favorite hairstyle and I just get weak at the knees when I see them on women :wub: This guy has the coolest, most unique set I’ve ever seen. I’ve never seen them so thick before. I wouldn’t have shaved the side of my head but I guess when they are that thick you have to for the sides to lay down and not stick out too much.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

You know there is a lady locally who has dreadlocks. Long, and piled on her head. She’s just beautiful. When I see her, I am tempted to tell her so. I think I will. 

(Curious thing to show up. I just got my hair cut, really short. simplified my life, I did. Shape it with gel, and out the door. I had two ladies work on me for an hour. I feel like I got a makeover!) 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

3 hours ago, Hope said:

Probably if she *looks* like that it wouldn't hurt!  :D

You said it, I didn’t lol

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, Dages said:

I find this gross. :(

Then you better never go to Jamaica... What’s so gross about it?

Edited by Brother Jack

I know I don't know everyone who wears locs.  However, too many people do not spend the time or take the care the girl in the video does to keep their head clean and together.  Stinky hair is stinky - I don't care what it looks like.  😕  It's not a style I would ever wear nor would I like a man who wore them.  My brother has locs down to his waist... and they're clean, if not as well maintained as they could be.  Still a big "no" in my opinion of them. 

I don't like men with long hair, anyway -- and locs just are not my thing.  Those fat ones the man is wearing are just really unattractive to me.

5 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

Then you better never go to Jamaica... What’s so gross about it?

It looks dirty... unclean... (I mean for male... also long hair for male isn't really proper).

In my country, these are mostly used by pot smoking beggars/hippies. I've never seen a brother with these.

5 hours ago, Hope said:

I know I don't know everyone who wears locs.  However, too many people do not spend the time or take the care the girl in the video does to keep their head clean and together.  Stinky hair is stinky - I don't care what it looks like.  😕  It's not a style I would ever wear nor would I like a man who wore them.  My brother has locs down to his waist... and they're clean, if not as well maintained as they could be.  Still a big "no" in my opinion of them. 

I don't like men with long hair, anyway -- and locs just are not my thing.  Those fat ones the man is wearing are just really unattractive to me.

Ok..ok ..we figured out ...You like a bold men ...LOL :lol1:

bald-funny-1024x576.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I know a few sisters you'd probably find really pretty based on that principle.  I think some women with dreads are absolutely beautiful, while, for others, it makes them look ugh-- like "moldylocks" who ljust looks like a homeless person who doesn't shower.

image.png.7131fb5531bc8c7534bb38c951b2a8c1.png

Regarding men with dreads...I think it goes back to the "thou shalt not grow hair on your face" discussion of, could a brother have dreads and be in good standing in the congregation? I don't think they can where I live. Dreads on men seems to give the impression that they're involved with marijuana in some way. In other places, I imagine, it's more accepted. I'm not 100% sure.

I mean I think Adam Duritz of Counting Crows sports them pretty well. I used to think he was rather hot. 😮

image.png.b048cdddfba619804d849ac1b941d4e3.png

Edited by Katty

22 hours ago, Saffron said:

Seems like those locks would be heavy enough to cause neck pain. Hahaa Very cool though. There are plenty like this and longer in Jamaica. 😁 Loved it there. Wish I could go back. 

Having locs doesn’t make your hair heavy. My mom has locs down to her waist and hers are light as a feather. The only thing that makes locs heavy is when people put products like gel in their hair when they retwist them. The end result is heavy locs because it can’t be washed out the twisted locs. Also, from what I’ve heard, taking a shower makes them heavy because they act like a sponge.

22 hours ago, Hope said:

The only people who seem to have Locs that don’t seem to be well taken care of to me are people with “freeform” locs. I hate these type of locs. To me they make hair look unkempt and neglected. These are the type of locs that bob Marley had and are very popular in Jamaica. People who grow them twist their to get them to lock and once they are locked they don’t retwist their hair to get a well manicured look. They simply let their hair do its own thing. I’ve only met one person with stinky locs but this man had mental issues and couldn’t really take care of himself. I’ve met/known lots of people with locs and they kept their hair clean. I’m sure you will see more hairstyles like this in the new system by people with Afro textured hair because it is the most protective hairstyle for that type of hair. I doubt ones in the new world will be putting harsh chemicals and heat on their hair to conform to a standard of beauty just like I doubt there will be tanning salons. People will just learn to except themselves the way they are 🙂

Edited by Brother Jack

16 hours ago, Dages said:

It looks dirty... unclean... (I mean for male... also long hair for male isn't really proper).

In my country, these are mostly used by pot smoking beggars/hippies. I've never seen a brother with these.

I’ve heard many people with locs say that the biggest misconception about their type of hair is that they don’t wash it. Some types of hair do mat together after long periods without washing but that’s not necessarily the case with Afro textured locked hair. All of my family and friends who have them wash their hair. My mom asked a brother from Trinidad if the sisters wear locs where he’s from and he said no because I’m that area they are associated with Rastafarianism and marijuana. There’s an elder my mom knows who is always making Rasta and marijuana jokes with her because of her hair and she says she’s annoyed by it. Yeah, I doubt I would ever see a brother with them because it’s a long hairstyle but I’ve met plenty of sisters with them. My mom is a regular pioneer and has long semi-freeform locs and my aunt is in the truth and has had locs for over 15 years.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, it's each to their own, so long as something is kept clean I'd say. Of course in the world we live in, grooming and style is limited due to the context of our preaching, much like facial hair as mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure, but I heard that in the Bible somewhere hair locks were mentioned and may have refered to this hair style.

Another example,Jehovah approved of Moses and Noah who are depicted having 10-15 inch beards in our publications, and Samson was commanded to never cut his hair to retain his strength, which reveals just what Jehovah thinks about style, hair length etc. I mean, he'd never command a servant of his to do something distasteful or sinful to continue being blessed by him. Both of these things today however would get you talked to by your Elders in the modern context.

Jehovah does have standards of being clean and tidy of course, but other than that, I imagine in the new world we'll see a great variety of fashions and hair styles approved as the context of giving a good witness to the world, and certain worldly associations with styles & fashions will be long gone. 

I imagine in the new world you'll be able to freely have the dreads you love @Brother Jack :) (And I'm pretty sure I'll be able to see what a 15 inch beard looks like on me 😄 )

Edited by EccentricM

1 hour ago, EccentricM said:

I'm not sure, but I heard that in the Bible somewhere hair locks were mentioned and may have refered to this hair style.

I imagine in the new world you'll be able to freely have the dreads you love @Brother Jack :) (And I'm pretty sure I'll be able to see what a 15 inch beard looks like on me 😄 )

According to ancient reliefs, Jews are depicted as wearing locs. Here’s some reliefs from Assyria/Nineveh. Two show them with short locs, while the other shows them with short hair. 

I wouldn’t have locs in the new system. I wouldn’t look good with them. I wish I would though. I have too much of a round face. I used to have an Afro and looked good with it. I will grow another one then 🙂

F613A476-CD6E-4F03-B814-E6F3FF977FF7.jpeg

E71C3562-98D2-4918-807E-99BC2AE41C2D.jpeg

1DD003F0-2104-461D-BDDD-B481F2BB20E0.jpeg

9 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

According to ancient reliefs, Jews are depicted as wearing locs. Here’s some reliefs from Assyria/Nineveh. Two show them with short locs, while the other shows them with short hair. 

There are other depictions of them however that show different hair. I think it's just ancient art style as opposed to accurate hair texturing, you'll see that the hair of the Assyrians are the same. For example there are depictions in other lands, like Egypt, that show them looking like themselves as well.

This was done for other cultures too, for example in Rome they drew depictions of the Celtic Britons in the exact same way as they drew their own people, with hair styles and such.

Roman_baths_suetonius_paulinus_02.JPG

Roman depiction of the Iceni (British) King

Edited by EccentricM

Now that American football season has returned, this dread discussion reminds me of something I have wondered about the players who wear the really long hair including dreads. Each time I see them tackling/ or being tackled I cringe because I feel a sense of whiplash!

As a young girl, I had long plaits, and often my hair was yanked by those mischievous kids at school. That really hurt my neck!!!!  I realize the football players are not "little girls." 

But nevertheless I imagine their necks being in pain because of their hair. And obviously dreads are not required, they choose to wear them. 

NFL Players With Long Hair Could Be in for a World of Pain

https://www.racked.com/2018/2/1/16955990/nfl-long-hair-ricky-rule