JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Climate Change News

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1591 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

9 hours ago, Awakened said:

At least 44 people have died since July 9, with 11 dying on Saturday alone.

In Kumagaya, a city near Tokyo, the mercury rose to 41.1 degrees (105.98F), the highest ever on record in Japan, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency, almost 12 degrees hotter than average temperatures at this time of year.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/07/23/asia/japan-heatwave-deadly-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Famp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org%2F

When I was in Japan just a couple of weeks ago, it was in the mid thirties with high humidity.  Very uncomfortably hot.  I can't imagine what 41C and humid must feel like!  In Perth, we have a dry heat, so 41C is still bearable so long as you stay out of the sun, have aircon and of course drink heaps.  The news report is right in that those high temps are not what Japan experiences normally, and they are not equipped for that sort of extreme heat.  That dump of rain in the South West also was out of the norm.

The fires in Greece are more ferocious than normal, and to think even Sweden has huge forest fires which is something they don't usually experience.  But this year the weather has been blistering for their region.  Again, not normal.

They are saying the Greek fires were deliberately lit too.  With a weather pattern more extreme, coupled with deranged individuals, it makes for a horror fire season.

These wildfires are out of control! Guess this is the new normal. The upcoming El Niño event will really cause some global devastation...worse than 2016 I’m sure. Not sure how human civilization survives past the year 2025 without an act of God.

Need that P&S cry really soon. 😆 

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b5aaab7e4b0b15aba971263

Not discounting any of these reports or the historic data which suggests that over the long march of earths history that these changes are actually minimal. If all of this is accepted as man made climate change :1. What should people do about it? 2. What should you, the individual, do about it? 3. If you cannot answer these basic questions then it it only a curiosity and a spectator seat for the apocalypse.

How to personally combat human caused climate change.( move into the smallest house or apartment that you can, do not drive if possible, do not have children ( but also do not use birth control that would pollute the water)). Pioneer , but rely heavily on non paper media. Get rid of your TV. Take cold showers. Am I missing anything?

Fortune: Here's How Global Warming Could Trigger the Next Financial Crisis

“The report is mainly focused on the reinsurance industry, a shadowy corner of the insurance business, and the fact that what the last financial crisis showed us was that when insurance companies aren’t properly regulated or the risks they take on are poorly understood, the results can be disastrous.”

2 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

How to personally combat human caused climate change.( move into the smallest house or apartment that you can, do not drive if possible, do not have children ( but also do not use birth control that would pollute the water)). Pioneer , but rely heavily on non paper media. Get rid of your TV. Take cold showers. Am I missing anything?

Sure, you could do the things you mentioned if you want (Pioneering sounds like an excellent idea!😆). But as I’m sure you know, it won’t make a dent solving the climate crisis. Only Gods Kingdom can take care of this mess. 

7 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

If all of this is accepted as man made climate change :1. What should people do about it? 2. What should you, the individual, do about it? 

Answer to #1: Put their faith and hope in Jehovah and His Kingdom as the only solution to humankind’s problems.

Answer to #2: Put our faith and hope in Jehovah and His Kingdom as the only solution to humankind’s problems.

Edited by Awakened

Font

Just today I read an article which briefly stated that in 2018 , in the US , we are seeing a record low rate of climate related disasters as a percentage of GDP.( the cost of an event as compared with the income of the country as a whole ). It also noted that dispute the current fires in California that the fire season was not unusual nor have we seen much at all in the way of damaging hurricanes this year. ( we shall see). Today also National Geographic is backpedaling on its claim of a relationship between climate change and the starving polar bear it highlighted earlier this year. These sorts of things tend to throw water on any Climate claims in the public eye. Valid or not.

36 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

Just today I read an article which briefly stated that in 2018 , in the US , we are seeing a record low rate of climate related disasters as a percentage of GDP.( the cost of an event as compared with the income of the country as a whole ). It also noted that dispute the current fires in California that the fire season was not unusual nor have we seen much at all in the way of damaging hurricanes this year. ( we shall see). Today also National Geographic is backpedaling on its claim of a relationship between climate change and the starving polar bear it highlighted earlier this year. These sorts of things tend to throw water on any Climate claims in the public eye. Valid or not.

Would you please provide a link?  I'm sure there are ones here that would like to read this.

3 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

Just today I read an article which briefly stated that in 2018 , in the US , we are seeing a record low rate of climate related disasters as a percentage of GDP.

Ok, a few things: 

- we’re barely halfway through 2018.

- what is the article’s definition of a “climate-related disaster”?

- what about 2017 and previous years?  

2017 U.S. billion-dollar weather and climate disasters: a historic year in context

1 hour ago, Awakened said:

Ok, a few things: 

- we’re barely halfway through 2018.

- what is the article’s definition of a “climate-related disaster”?

- what about 2017 and previous years?  

2017 U.S. billion-dollar weather and climate disasters: a historic year in context

Exactly! Statistics aren’t always very precise. But people can be turned like a herd of Bison off a cliff . What’s more. The GDP of the US this year is at a near record or record high, GDP could simply be trouncing any climate or weather related damage. 

There are theories that volcanic eruptions are on the rise. A 2014 study found that changes in the speed of the earth’s rotation, caused by factors including the gravitational pull of the sun and the moon, lead to periods of increased volcanic activity. A 2009 study found that the number of eruptions per year has gone up as the earth’s temperature has increased since the ice age.   — recent volcanic activity ( while Not wildly on the increase) can not be ruled out as either a contributor or a result of climate change. http://amp.timeinc.net/time/5300004/guatemala-fuego-volcano-eruption-indonesia-hawaii

Edited by BenJepthah

Finally figuring out how to share links.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy... 2018 has seen some of the worst climate and weather related devastation, and we still have over 4 months to go! To make things worse, scientists are forecasting a 2019-2020 El Niño event. May experience a Blue Ocean Event in the Arctic by September of 2019-2020. I also don’t see what’s remaining of the coral reef systems surviving through another El Niño event similar to 2015-2016. 

The nations are going to have to form a global alliance soon (P&S) to make a best efforts attempt to save themselves from themselves. But of course we know what happens from there. 

The Guardian: 

More than 324 people have died in the worst flooding in nearly a century in the south Indian state of Kerala.

From article:

The Kerala chief minister, Pinarayi Vijayan, said the state was experiencing an “extremely grave” crisis, with the highest flood warning in place in 12 of its 14 regions.

“We’re witnessing something that has never happened before in the history of Kerala,” he told reporters.

The toll in Kerala contributed to more than 900 deaths recorded by the Indian home ministry this monsoon season from landslides, flooding and rain.

Officials estimated about 6,000 miles (10,000km) of roads had been submerged or buried by landslides and a major international airport in Cochin has been shut until 26 August.

Meteorologists said Kerala had received an average 37.5% more rainfall than usual. The hardest-hit districts such as Idukki in the north received 83.5% excess rain.

Brother James, many thanks for the links. Only recently did I closely study climate change and was surprised with the gravity of the current predicament. 

Can you please provide the links on the possibility of blue ocean event in the arctic by sep 2019-20. 

As research shows positive correlation between global warming and increased conflicts, notably in less developed countries, I think the P&S is inextricably linked with the climate change’s development. 

Edited by JW-Ind

On 6/17/2018 at 2:56 PM, Wm-Scott said:

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Please read above link. It is no longer possible to be both informed and a climate change denier, since the evidence is now overwhelming🌡📈🍳.  My point was that the world🌎 is in serious trouble🚽 that is balantanly obvious if you look at the facts.🤤 Yet, even people who know the facts, make up and spread lies 💻like the ice caps are expanding.🤞 The reason why, is because they don't want people to panic and stop shopping,🛒 that would be bad for business. There are powerful forces in the world bent on keeping the things as they are as long as they can. These same people are buying islands💵 and building bunkers, ⛏they know what is coming, but that want to squeeze all they can💸 out of the system before it goes☠.

On using Matt 24, 📖 the sign includes wars, food shortages and pestilence, all things that are increasing do our changing climate. That is why I made the connection, climate change is intensifying the signs. People ignore this connection just as they ignore the signs and what they mean.🙈🙉🙊

Please pardon my coming on so strong on this issue. For someone who has been following this issue for decades the accumulated evidence makes denying it seem on a par with claiming the earth is flat. Yet one of my brothers denies it as well. (CC, he accepts the earth is round😉) I can show him endless evidence📚 and it doesn't convince him. I am hoping that you are more open minded. 💡Otherwise you and my brother can both think that I am nuts and I am fine with that. But I do love a good discussion. 🤼‍♂️

Not a “ climate change denier” that’s what climates do : they change.always have , always will ( even I dare say in the New System ). Change is usually a good thing. 

All the data indicates climate change . Why? Because climates change. All the angst over the loss of the Antarctic ice sheet is based upon a period from 1978 to the present. And that’s the problem. The earth is much older than a mere 30 year study could hope to feasibly cover and make any predictions. This year is porported to be s warm as 1977? It’s been billed as “ the hottest year on record “? Which is sensational journalism:  It also means that the earths average temperature has actually been below that record high for 29 years. Ice core data tells us that the earth has been much warmer ( hello Dinosaurs)and cooler than now. (Hello ice age). So, I for one am not a “ climate change denier” nor am I particularly concerned about a j spike on a line graph that isn’t the tenth part of a rise in the earths temperature compared to several in earths history. That all said the fear of climate change ( that’s what climates do: they change ) may be a magnificently stunning driving force toward the cry of P&S. Which will be a knee slapped if it proves unwarranted.

Edited by BenJepthah

12 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

Not a “ climate change denier” that’s what climates do : they change.always have , always will ( even I dare say in the New System ). Change is usually a good thing

David, 

I would encourage you to google “Greenhouse Effect”, anthropogenic climate change, Anthropecene/Holocene (since you mentioned “dinosaurs”, I will assume you believe that they once existed and are now extinct due to a mass extinction event). As I’m sure you know, when the phrase “climate change” is used in contemporary vernacular, disruption of natural climate cycles due to human activity is implied. 

To your point, over periods of thousands of years scientific research has confirmed that the earth, like so many other natural earth cycles, has slow moving climatic cycles that takes many thousands of years. 

The scientific bodies that conducted the research confirming natural climate cycles that you referred to, are the same bodies saying that humans are disrupting natural climate cycles as a result of gigatons of air pollutants being emitted into the atmosphere annually for decades. These pollutants are artificially warming the planet and  disrupting the natural climate cycles that God put in place. Because humans have changed the chemistry of the planet, we are seeing a significant uptrend in erratic, extreme weather around the globe. This has been statistically proven - fact.

Ive noticed that the few that have chosen to deny such basic science and overwhelming evidence that the earth is currently warming faster than anytime in the planet’s history, are watching Fox News and the like.

Propaganda is powerful. 

4 hours ago, Awakened said:

... I will assume you believe that they once existed and are now extinct due to a mass extinction event

..... Because humans have changed the chemistry of the planet, we are seeing a significant uptrend in erratic, extreme weather around the globe. This has been statistically proven - fact.

I've noticed that the few that have chosen to deny such basic science and overwhelming evidence that the earth is currently warming faster than anytime in the planet’s history, are watching Fox News and the like.

Propaganda is powerful. 

James,

You made some "interesting" comments/conclusions/assumptions ...

Let's see

• Yes, I believe that dinosaurs once existed and that they are now extinct. However, "due to a mass extinction event" .... that I am not so sure about. There are many species that once existed that have become extinct but it does not take a mass extinction event to have this occur. It can happen over time through death of the species or even by mankind overkilling or in some other way removing that species - it does not take a "mass event" for a species to become extinct. I tend to lean more toward the idea that Jehovah created the dinosaurs for a specific purpose. When that purpose was accomplished, He either allowed them do die off or He removed them from the earth.
  • Yes, there have been changes in the earth due to mankind's misuse of the planet and not following Jehovah's guideline. Not only has the physical planet been compromised, so has the moral and social standing of the planet. However, we fully understand that the only cure for mankind's social, moral and health condition is Jehovah's Kingdom - this is why we do not get involved in political movements and the like - instead, we proclaim the Kingdom. .... The same holds true of things like "climate change". This is another thing we need to leave in Jehovah's hands while we proclaim the Kingdom - just like political and social causes, we DO NOT get involved in "movements to solve the problem".
  • To make a statement that, anyone who does not agree with your point of view (or, as you phrased it,  "deny such basic science and overwhelming evidence") must watch/listen to a certain news outlet is a bit of a stretch. Perhaps those who see the situation differently are relying on Jehovah's Kingdom - not listening to a news outlet you have decided does not cover the topics to your personal taste.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, Awakened said:

David, 

I would encourage you to google “Greenhouse Effect”, anthropogenic climate change, Anthropecene/Holocene (since you mentioned “dinosaurs”, I will assume you believe that they once existed and are now extinct due to a mass extinction event). As I’m sure you know, when the phrase “climate change” is used in contemporary vernacular, disruption of natural climate cycles due to human activity is implied. 

To your point, over periods of thousands of years scientific research has confirmed that the earth, like so many other natural earth cycles, has slow moving climatic cycles that takes many thousands of years. 

The scientific bodies that conducted the research confirming natural climate cycles that you referred to, are the same bodies saying that humans are disrupting natural climate cycles as a result of gigatons of air pollutants being emitted into the atmosphere annually for decades. These pollutants are artificially warming the planet and  disrupting the natural climate cycles that God put in place. Because humans have changed the chemistry of the planet, we are seeing a significant uptrend in erratic, extreme weather around the globe. This has been statistically proven - fact.

Ive noticed that the few that have chosen to deny such basic science and overwhelming evidence that the earth is currently warming faster than anytime in the planet’s history, are watching Fox News and the like.

Propaganda is powerful. 

Your doing an unnecessary amount of assuming here. I have read the data. I understand the arguements. I am aware that anthropogenic climate change is possible and even probable. I further understand the effects of human disobedience of Jehovah’s standards that have had and continue to build effects which may and probably are manifest in a physical world. I just see that it is very easy to loose ones objectivity when looking at one or even both sides of an equation without understanding that there is more than what is being presented yet to factor into that equation. 

One more thing is very important for Jehovah’s people in particular. Faithful neutrality. You mention propaganda and “ Fox News”.  I don’t watch television at home. I don’t even have a serviceable cell signal were I live. I’m texting now from a bathroom at Walmart. I have chosen this degree of isolation to avoid “ propaganda “. To avoid being influenced unduly by media. Since you seem to imply that by my not being in lock step with your conclusions I have been “ propagandized” I must caution you that reliance upon Jehovah is the only solution which I espouse. And perhaps you should really look deeply into how your connection between “ Fox News “ and “ propaganda” may be displaying a certain bias. I say this out of love. Guard your neutrality, propaganda goes in every direction.  Reality will assert itself to prove out what is true. Since we can do nothing personally to stop “ climate change “ ( and why should we?) The one thing we should do is poor ourselves into Jehovah’s Service and have trust in His ability to correct and transform.

Not a “ climate change denier” that’s what climates do : they change.always have , always will ( even I dare say in the New System ). Change is usually a good thing. 

All the data indicates climate change . Why? Because climates change. All the angst over the loss of the Antarctic ice sheet is based upon a period from 1978 to the present. And that’s the problem. The earth is much older than a mere 30 year study could hope to feasibly cover and make any predictions. This year is porported to be s warm as 1977? It’s been billed as “ the hottest year on record “? Which is sensational journalism:  It also means that the earths average temperature has actually been below that record high for 29 years. Ice core data tells us that the earth has been much warmer ( hello Dinosaurs)and cooler than now. (Hello ice age). So, I for one am not a “ climate change denier” nor am I particularly concerned about a j spike on a line graph that isn’t the tenth part of a rise in the earths temperature compared to several in earths history. That all said the fear of climate change ( that’s what climates do: they change ) may be a magnificently stunning driving force toward the cry of P&S. Which will be a knee slapped if it proves unwarranted.

This is what the Watchtower said on the subject a few years ago:

In what way does today’s greedy system promote disasters? A United Nations report on global disasters states: “Populations are too often being concentrated in risky areas such as flood plains. In addition, the destruction of forests and wetlands is harming the capacity of the environment to withstand hazards. Looming above all this is the threat of global climate change and rising sea levels as a result of increased greenhouse gas concentrations . . . caused by human activity.” Though much of this “human activity” is said to be for economic progress, it is in reality the work of the selfish and greedy spirit that permeates the world.

Consequently, many experts now recognize that indiscriminate human activity has intensified the devastating effects of the disasters that occur. In reality, humans have played into the Devil’s hands by supporting a system that exacerbates disasters.

We see, then, that many disasters are the result of careless human activity.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, Thesauron said:

This is what the Watchtower said on the subject a few years ago:

And I agree. As I have said “ Not a climate change denier”. Also not someone who is overly concerned. Especially since the ONLY thing that I can do about it I already am doing. And a little more: I have also established 8 acres of tall grass prairie ( restored) on private land . Just about nothing locks carbon into the soil better. And planted more than 400 trees and shrubs .  I doubt you will soon meet anyone who has done more personally to combat air pollution. That said : science is funded by someone. And If that someone has an expectation of a certain conclusion then that science itself becomes suspect. GE manufactures wind turbines . It is in GE’s best interests to have any science or reporting thereof be pro Carbon causing Climate change. On the obverse coal companies may desire a different result .  So, one more time: picking a side and trying to pretend your still being neutral is not the path I will take. Especially since I’m already doing all I can and probably more than anyone else you’ve met to privately combat air pollution. 

Now, as to human effects on the climate : almost everyone I’ve seen who is extremely climate focused seems to miss the elephant in the ocean ( er room ). I refer to a continent sized drift of plastic trash in the Pacific Ocean. If something twice the size of Texas isn’t displacing water and affecting environment I don’t know what could. ( ThAT , dear ones is by far a bigger and more solvable problem than Carbon).  But who stands to make money paying for the research to connect The Pacific Gier to climate change? It’s not a wind turbine and solar panel or electric car kind of problem. 

One last observation Co2 is heavier than O2 . It is one of the big hazards in mines because it sinks to low levels . Can anyone tell me HOW Co2 is a greenhouse gas??