JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to Watchtower Library DVD (Windows only)

I updated WTL in my laptop before a week (greek language). But while I tried to update it in our congregation's pc, an error msg appeared that the update has failed and the WTL needs to reinstall. <_< Both of them run Windows 10. Tonight I will hold a USB stick with the iso file and I'll try to reinstall it. 

The Watchtower Library 2016 is in the list of publications and we were asked to send the orders for it last month. So yes, there will be a 2016 DVD.

Not everybody has the 2015 DVD. Some new people come into the Truth every year and some brothers who were not using computers begin using them. Besides, the update function updates the content but, as far as I know, not the software itself. So if there are any bugs fixed or any new functions added, you will need the new DVD to have them.

I suppose the software will eventually be available on the web and then there will be no more need of DVDs.

When I opened the 2015 Library on my computer a couple of months ago, it automatically downloaded updates so it must have 'auto updates' automatically checked when you install it on your computer. Now here's the wierd part - when I opened it yesterday and clicked on 'help' and then 'check for updates' it kept telling me that I didn't have an internet connection ( when I did). So I put an exception for the program in my firewall settings and disabled my anti-virus program and it still told me the same thing! Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

3 hours ago, shali said:

When I opened the 2015 Library on my computer a couple of months ago, it automatically downloaded updates so it must have 'auto updates' automatically checked when you install it on your computer. Now here's the wierd part - when I opened it yesterday and clicked on 'help' and then 'check for updates' it kept telling me that I didn't have an internet connection ( when I did). So I put an exception for the program in my firewall settings and disabled my anti-virus program and it still told me the same thing! Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Yes.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 hours ago, carlos said:

. . .

I suppose the software will eventually be available on the web and then there will be no more need of DVDs.

Ouchh! Some brothers and sisters I know have a computer, but no Internet connection. Maybe they can't afford it, or whatever. They bought the computer just so they could use Watchtower Library without needing Internet. What will they do now with no DVDs? Back to the hard-copy magazines and indexes?

Videos are no longer provided on DVD, but are internet download only.  So what do the brothers without internet or computers to do.  They rely on those who do to provide a copy.  The WT Library may also go down this path, and those without internet will have to rely on someone to provide a DVD or USB drive.  If you have a laptop without a DVD drive - and many do not nowadays - you have to ask someone to transfer it for you.   A download would be better.  And no more waiting for shipments of DVD to be delivered to your Kingdom Hall, or after months of waiting only to find out your Lit Servant forgot to order them.

Edited by Jonathan77

4 hours ago, Sheep said:

Ouchh! Some brothers and sisters I know have a computer, but no Internet connection. Maybe they can't afford it, or whatever. They bought the computer just so they could use Watchtower Library without needing Internet. What will they do now with no DVDs? Back to the hard-copy magazines and indexes?

Eric, I have no idea if there will be more DVDs or not. I only know the DVD for next year is available to order, while the calendar is not. So it seems that there will be DVD for at least one more year.

Internet is available and reasonably priced in most of the civilized world. It's the way to go if you want to be up to date with our website. Some articles no longer appear on print, just on the site. Audio CDROMs of our magazines have been discontinued and the brothers who were receiving them have been told to download them from the site. Can you imagine how expensive it was not only to produce those DVDs, but to send them every month? The same with videos, now they are only available for download. In the very few cases where it is absolutely impossible for a brother to have internet access, someone in their congregation can download the updates and install them to their computer. I don't see a big problem at all.

Anyway nobody has said there will be no more DVDs in the future, that's only a possibility I mentioned.

Edited by carlos

Way back when the Folio version of the Bible was discontinued, as CDs were replacing floppy drives there were probably some who moaned that they were being short changed by progress. My $2400 computer was limited to floppies. Hardware was replacing itself so fast there was no way to get a return on my dollar.

Some, though not many, are going to get left behind in the rush for better, faster, broader, more accessible Theocratic Publications. Not to be too upset, nobody is suggesting a return scrolls.

I am curious, my first access to the internet was via phone line. Does that still exist. Very slow, but it worked. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 hours ago, Old said:

Way back when the Folio version of the Bible was discontinued, as CDs were replacing floppy drives there were probably some who moaned that they were being short changed by progress. My $2400 computer was limited to floppies. Hardware was replacing itself so fast there was no way to get a return on my dollar.

Some, though not many, are going to get left behind in the rush for better, faster, broader, more accessible Theocratic Publications. Not to be too upset, nobody is suggesting a return scrolls.

I am curious, my first access to the internet was via phone line. Does that still exist. Very slow, but it worked. :)

Computer technology (PC, laptops, tablets. smart phone. etc) become obsolete before they are released.  One tech report mentioned that companies are at least two upgrades ahead of the release.  It takes time to perfect them so they are always ahead.  It is a form of planned obsolescence.   We manage to get by (used equip, ebay. etc).  Phone line "dial-up is still available in some locations.  Many phone companies offer DSL lines over their phone service.  That is what I use.  It is 'broadband' but on the low end of performance.  It is the only ting available in my location.  Satellite and microwave reception is not possible because of the wooded nature of our home.  Many Kingdom Halls have internet, so download what you need at the hall.  Fast-food restaurants often have free-wifi internet connections.  One witness family offers the brothers the password to their wifi and it is powerful enough to pick up from the street (so they don't have to be home to use it).  There are many  possibilities.  For some older house-bound friends, maybe you could take their tablet and download for them and then return it when it is finished. 

14 hours ago, carlos said:

Eric, I have no idea if there will be more DVDs or not. I only know the DVD for next year is available to order, while the calendar is not. So it seems that there will be DVD for at least one more year.

Internet is available and reasonably priced in most of the civilized world. It's the way to go if you want to be up to date with our website. Some articles no longer appear on print, just on the site. Audio CDROMs of our magazines have been discontinued and the brothers who were receiving them have been told to download them from the site. Can you imagine how expensive it was not only to produce those DVDs, but to send them every month? The same with videos, now they are only available for download. In the very few cases where it is absolutely impossible for a brother to have internet access, someone in their congregation can download the updates and install them to their computer. I don't see a big problem at all.

Anyway nobody has said there will be no more DVDs in the future, that's only a possibility I mentioned.

I made mention of those who have computers but no Internet because I know two who are in that category. From what I understand, the update for Watchtower Library cannot be downloaded in an archive. Therefore, there would be no way for a brother to download it, copy it onto a USB key, and give it to someone who doesn't have an Internet connection.

However, that could change in the future, and the update could be made available in such a way. If so, then maybe the entire Watchtower Library itself could become a downloadable archive also and made available on jw.org. Then that too could be transferred from one computer to another. Time will tell.

Edited by Sheep

34 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I made mention of those who have computers but no Internet because I know two who are in that category. From what I understand, the update for Watchtower Library cannot be downloaded in an archive. Therefore, there would be no way for a brother to download it, copy it onto a USB key, and give it to someone who doesn't have an Internet connection.

However, that could change in the future, and the update could be made available in such a way. If so, then maybe the entire Watchtower Library itself could become a downloadable archive also and made available on jw.org. Then that too could be transferred from one computer to another. Time will tell.

Th program has the option to manually apply the update package so it appears that the update packages will be available eventually.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

42 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Th program has the option to manually apply the update package so it appears that the update packages will be available eventually.

and from that, I am wondering where will those update package can be downloaded. is it inside the jw.org account for elders or ms?

50 minutes ago, DDVictoria said:

and from that, I am wondering where will those update package can be downloaded. is it inside the jw.org account for elders or ms?

Since the WTLIB DVD is available to publishers and anyone with the WTLIB program can currently get the updates, I assume the manual update package will eventually be available to everyone and not just the Elders and MS.

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Since the WTLIB DVD is available to publishers and anyone with the WTLIB program can currently get the updates, I assume the manual update package will eventually be available to everyone and not just the Elders and MS.

I am not aware of a manual update package for WTLIB just for Elders and MS. Where did this idea come from? I just checked and found no such listing in English.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

10 minutes ago, Old said:

I am not aware of a manual update package for WTLIB just for Elders and MS. Where did this idea come from? I just checked and found no such listing in English.

Back up to post #60. Brother Danilo was wondering if it was available on JW.org for elders and MS, that doesn't sound logical to me so I posted that it would be logical for an update to be available to everyone, not just elders and MS.

I'm not saying it is available to Elders and MS, I'm suggesting that it wouldn't be logical for it to be available to just Elders and MS.

I'm sorry if the sentence structure confused you, I'm not good with words...

Edited by Tortuga

3 hours ago, DDVictoria said:

Brother Danillo, have you opened 2015 WTLIB and checked under PROPERTIES? Plain as day in English, speak for a different language. Definitely not for Elders and MS only with access.

If you want the update package to give to someone else, or as a backup for yourself, check my post #14.

If you have already applied the update, then you will need to uninstall, reinstall and re-download the update.

If you have tried and can not get the update package yourself, then PM me.

Situation: not everyone here in the Philippines has internet connection.

if a brother has wtlib2015 on his computer and he wants to update it (because he heard that it can be updated :lol:) but he doesn't have internet connection, where can he get the "update package" to manually update his wtlib2015?

but as stated earlier: as of now, there's no way to manually download the update package.

1 hour ago, DDVictoria said:

Situation: not everyone here in the Philippines has internet connection.

if a brother has wtlib2015 on his computer and he wants to update it (because he heard that it can be updated :lol:) but he doesn't have internet connection, where can he get the "update package" to manually update his wtlib2015?

but as stated earlier: as of now, there's no way to manually download the update package.

I have update packages for English and Spanish Editions.  You can manually apply it. If anyone wants the files, send me a private message. :D

buscar+actualizacion%20manual%20edit.jpg

Edited by zodwertj

correction