JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Nostalgic for the old songbook

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2290 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

Your selection is from 1984. 

I miss the song "Stick to the Work" from 1950.  The last line is my motto;

"Stick to the work of serving Jehovah

Be dependable and true

Thereby share his vindication

Save yourself and others too."

You kids are all alike, you only remember the modern stuff.

This one was written in the original language, at least the original language spoken by King James himself (in 1944!)   :lol: 

Number 26, a song you can really belt out!

# 26      “FORWARD GO!”

Verse 1

Have you a song to sing for Je - ho - - vah?

Have you song of his reign and glo - ryl

Have you a mes-sage clear for all men to hear,

And a com - mis - sion to tell the sto - ry?

chorus

Then forward go! (Yes go!)Fear-less -ly go! (Fear-less-ly go!)

Turn the bat-tie to the gate; Do not tar-ry, do not wait;

Fol-low the Great-er Jeph-thah, who can-not fail.

Fol-low-ing him, ye shall pre -  vail!

Check the rest out here:

http://ia600306.us.archive.org/12/items/KingdomServiceSongBook/1944KingdomServiceSongBook.pdf

Kingdom Service Song Book.png

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

You kids are all alike, you only remember the modern stuff.
This one was written in the original language, at least the original language spoken by King James himself (in 1944!)   :lol: 
Number 26, a song you can really belt out!

# 26      “FORWARD GO!”

Verse 1
Have you a song to sing for Je - ho - - vah?
Have you song of his reign and glo - ryl
Have you a mes-sage clear for all men to hear,
And a com - mis - sion to tell the sto - ry?
chorus
Then forward go! (Yes go!)Fear-less -ly go! (Fear-less-ly go!)
Turn the bat-tie to the gate; Do not tar-ry, do not wait;
Fol-low the Great-er Jeph-thah, who can-not fail.
Fol-low-ing him, ye shall pre -  vail!

Check the rest out here:
http://ia600306.us.archive.org/12/items/KingdomServiceSongBook/1944KingdomServiceSongBook.pdf

5a498797df9ce_KingdomServiceSongBook.png.636ed175a427e388cc9701c713c5cb3e.png

That one was very cool. Of course, after a while we learned that there was no such thing as “the Greater Jephthah”. Regarding the melody, it might come back some day if the writing committee feels a need. It has happened before.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

15 hours ago, Thesauron said:

That one was very cool. Of course, after a while we learned that there was no such thing as “the Greater Jephthah”. Regarding the melody, it might come back some day if the writing committee feels a need. It has happened before.

"Of course.,"This kind of sucks the wind out of a topic that was a smiley. I wonder why our timid lurkers fail to post. Anybody have ideas?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I once made a brother laugh because a song started and I whispered to him “This intro always reminds me of ‘I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts.’ “ He had his little daughter with him and he told me off because she nearly heard.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:12 AM, ChrisC said:

I once made a brother laugh because a song started and I whispered to him “This intro always reminds me of ‘I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts.’ “ He had his little daughter with him and he told me off because she nearly heard.

That reminds me of a story my friend told me years ago when we still used the 1984 songbook. Song 128 was "Do More - As the Nazirites did!" He was at an assembly with his Bible student and this song was sung; every verse mentioning the Nazirites. The Bible study was visibly upset afterwards and the brother asked why. He was concerned that we were singing a song about Nazi Rites! He wondered what he had got involved in. :)

Edited by Seinman

On 12/31/2017 at 7:33 PM, Thesauron said:

Loved that song, especially with the part where we sang a part and then someone else (my son and I always did it, no one else?).

On 1/7/2018 at 2:19 PM, Seinman said:

"Do More - As the Nazirites did!"   The Bible study was visibly upset that we were singing a song about Nazi Rites!

:o I hadn't ever noticed those similar spellings or thought about that  :lol:

I wonder if their language was english?

I was told once to imagine song #7 "The Hope of Mankind's Jubilee" being sung by Kermit the Frog.  Couldn't think of it any differently after that.

Creation groans, weighed down in sin.
It seems a hopeless plight.
A sabbath day is soon to dawn.
Relief is now in sight.