JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

California starts off the new year by legalizing marijuana

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2248 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

21 minutes ago, trottigy said:

At first I thought - the tobacco industry should be fighting the recreational use of marijuana as it will cut into their business.

Then it hit me - buy a pack of marijuana cigarettes WITH nicotine and BAM sales go up like crazy. I hate to think of the guy driving next to me smoking a joint while driving. It might cut down on road rage, but since reaction time is slowed - it will likely increase accidents. 

EDIT: AS I understand it - one of the biggest problems with recreational use (as compared to alcohol) is the inability to test for it. By that I mean - we have a standard for what is considered impared blood alcohol level. What is the standard of impaired for marijuana? 

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/does-marijuana-use-affect-driving

https://www.aaafoundation.org/impaired-driving-and-cannabis

Among the various statistics unearthed by the studies, two main findings stand out:

• Fatal crashes involving drivers who recently used marijuana doubled in Washington after the state legalized the drug. Washington was one of the first two states to legalize the recreational use of marijuana, and these findings serve as an eye-opening case study for what other states may experience with road safety after legalizing the drug. 

• Legal limits, also known as per se limits, for marijuana and driving are arbitrary and unsupported by science. 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Thanks. I didn’t know this had already been mentioned. I guess we can talk specifically about the legalization of it in California here :)

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 minute ago, Brother Jack said:

Thanks. I didn’t know this had already been mentioned. I guess we can talk specifically about the legalization of it in California here :)

Recreational marijuana ::o

I wonder if I'll ever find a HH smoking a joint while i try to give my presentation..::o

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The article said “The next year is expected to be a bumpy one in California as more shops open and more stringent regulations take effect on the strains known as sweet skunk, trainwreck and Russian assassin.” :lol: If I was smoking marijuana, I definitely wouldn’t want to smoke something called “trainwreck”...

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

There are now 8 States , plus Washington D.C, where the folks can legally consume weed. On deck, later this year, is all of Canada.

Every news item on the subject mentions the revenue that will be forthcoming.

This makes me think of the fact that human leadership will do ANYTHING for money. As noted in posts above, there will inevitably be more traffic accidents/deaths. But more money, so . . .

It has been said that wars are good for the economy. Lots of death, but more money, so . . .

This old system is rotting from within.

It certainly won't make it easier to reach them with the Good News.

I was a pothead once upon a time, and gave it up, but today's weed is entirely different.

I shudder to think of nicotine infused weed. Add vaping, and we'll be dealing with a zombie apocalypse.

4 hours ago, Doug said:

I shudder to think of nicotine infused weed. Add vaping, and we'll be dealing with a zombie apocalypse.

Although regular grown weed is not addictive because of its makeup, they will make it addictive. It’s all about the money. 

Edited by Brother Jack

14 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Nicotine infused weed... I believe many people already mix tobacco with pot. Either smoking one or the other, or by hiding the weed in a regular cigarette. 

Maybe not the same 

I’m sure they will do that sooner or later to get people hooked, especially to the high. I know when I was in the world and used to smoke marijuana, we would puff on a cigarette to get “higher” than what we already were. It’s a much stronger high and people will ditch the regular so called organic marijuana, in favor of the chemical laced one. I’m sure the whole reason it was legalized in the first place was because of the money that could be made.im so glad those days are behind me.

Edited by Brother Jack

4 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Nicotine infused weed... I believe many people already mix tobacco with pot. Either smoking one or the other, or by hiding the weed in a regular cigarette. 

Maybe not the same 

I used to smoke Swisher Sweet Tip Cigarillos, I would dig some of the tobacco out, stuff in some weed, replace the end with tobacco ...

I didn't do as Bill Clinton said, I did inhale. Because I chewed on the plastic tip to keep from grinding my teeth I usually had one going most of the day.  Not always lit, just to gnaw on.  I didn't do that to all of them, just a couple 3 or 4 during the work week. I averaged about 6 of those little ceegars a day. 

Between those, and the weed I would smoke at home, added to all the welding fumes and equipment stench, I am amazed I can even breath anymore,  much less have the above average lungs that I do have. ..Drs are surprised at my lung function,  it's actually pretty good for an old dog like me, considerin---

• 1 month later...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/9/16993528/girl-scout-cookies-marijuana-legalization

Well, we knew this would happen. Girl scout sells cookies in front of a marijuana store..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/9/16993528/girl-scout-cookies-marijuana-legalization

Well, we knew this would happen. Girl scout sells cookies in front of a marijuana store..

I saw this on the news. Smart girl. 

1 hour ago, BPelder said:

There are several of our B&S that are now wondering whether it can now be used for medicinal reasons.  Would this be a conscience decision?

Welcome to the forum. That topic gets discussed a lot, I'll see if I can find a few links for you to read, otherwise try the search feature. :)

Try this one..

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/32703-prescription-for-medical-marijuana/

Edited by Tortuga

55 minutes ago, BPelder said:

There are several of our B&S that are now wondering whether it can now be used for medicinal reasons.  Would this be a conscience decision?

As far as I'm aware, marijuana is still illegal under US federal law, and Romans 13:1-4 has not been suspended, so the basis of our prohibition still stands.

12 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Welcome to the forum. That topic gets discussed a lot, I'll see if I can find a few links for you to read, otherwise try the search feature. :)

Try this one..

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/32703-prescription-for-medical-marijuana/

Thank you for this information.  I'm new to this forum and was unaware of the previous threads.

Thanks, once again!