JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Useful Apps

I recently found a very useful app for my Android phone called Silent Manager..

My wife told me she had misplaced her phone somewhere in the house awhile back and it was muted so she couldn't call it. She found her phone but she wanted to know if there was a way to make the phone ring when it was muted. I know there are a lot of "Find My Phone" type apps available but the ones I had looked at required another phone or PC to locate the missing phone, since I wasn't home the day she misplaced her phone that type of app would not have helped her.

I found an older app called Silent Manager and you can select up to 5 contact in your phone and if any of the selected contact call or text you, the phone notifications will be audible even if the phone is muted. So now if she misplaces her phone, she can call it using the home phone or I can call it with my cell phone.

It is really designed to let you hear important calls or texts while your phone is muted. I usually keep my phone muted all the time but I'll unmute it when she is out so I don't miss her call or text, now I can keep it muted..

Pretty handy...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

10 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

iPhone has a Do Not Disturb setting that can be overridden by selected contacts.

I hoped Android would have something similar but i couldn't find it. The app that i found does what i wanted.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I was going to start a topic for recommendations for game apps that are educational oriented...but this one will do. Thanks Richard.

Nothing too heavy but somethird to play when you have just a few minutes to kill.

Anyone have any decent recommendations?

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

For Android games..

I play Word Chums and i have a Sudoku game.

Edited by Tortuga

I like Bookworm by Popcap. It's very addictive. The problem is that it's for the windows platform, but they keep promising an android version. There are a few copycats out there but the ones I've tried aren't as good as the original.

2 hours ago, Musky said:

I like Bookworm by Popcap. It's very addictive. The problem is that it's for the windows platform, but they keep promising an android version. There are a few copycats out there but the ones I've tried aren't as good as the original.

Hmmm, kinda like Scrabble with a little Sudoku mixed in?

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I have to get up very early and it's hard for me to hear the alarm so I recently started using an Android app called Flash Alarm. It does just what it says, it flashes the phone LED and it definitely wakes me up!

On 1/6/2018 at 12:14 PM, Tortuga said:

I hoped Android would have something similar but i couldn't find it. The app that i found does what i wanted.

I have Android and it has the do not disturb ability on it. But it's only on Oreo. I love it. Can silent it but set it so get calls or text from my husband so I don't miss them.

43 minutes ago, Globug said:

I have Android and it has the do not disturb ability on it. But it's only on Oreo. I love it. Can silent it but set it so get calls or text from my husband so I don't miss them.

I still have marshmallow.

• 1 month later...

I recently started using a small android app called Stopwatch. It's a small floating digital stop watch that you can start and stop with a single tap. If you use your tablet to give a talk or part, it's perfect for timing your talk/part because it stays on top of your notes and you can move it to a spot where its out of the way.

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I recently started using a small android app called Stopwatch. It's a small floating digital stop watch that you can start and stop with a single tap. If you use your tablet to give a talk or part, it's perfect for timing your talk/part because it stays on top of your notes and you can move it to a spot where its out of the way.

Anyone know of an equivalent for Apple?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.