JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apparent Doom and Gloom for World Economy

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1904 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.watoday.com.au/business/world-business/fizzling-out-world-bank-says-global-economy-is-set-for-a-decade-of-gloom-20180109-h0fxra.html?promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=NTY3NjYxMw&eid=email:nnn-13omn652-ret_newsl-membereng:nnn-04%2F11%2F2013-news_am-dom-news-nnn-watoday-u&campaign_code=13INO006&et_bid=29111277&list_name=2142_wa_today_news_update&instance=2018-01-10--02-46--UTC

The World Bank has joined a growing chorus predicting an end to the global economy's strong run: (2018 could see a geopolitical crisis on the scale of the financial crash a decade ago, Eurasia Group has warned in its annual outlook. Describing global political challenges as "daunting," the New York-based political risk consultancy said the world is "now closer to geopolitical depression than to a reversion to past stability." It said the biggest uncertainty surrounds China's move to fill a vacuum as US influence continues to decline, stoking tensions between the two powers. )

"There is a sense in which financial markets appear to be complacent. That makes room for disruption when there are surprises - a repricing of risk," said Franziska Ohnsorge, a World Bank economist. Her warning echoes those of institutions including Legal and General Asset Management, which fears the US economy and markets will surge ahead this year before rate hikes burst the bubble and cause a recession.

A perfect scenario for where to look for an alternative source of wealth. Oh look!! Religions have lots of money.  If we get rid of that ..........  

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

I have been reading articles for over a year now  on how the New York Stock market is over due for a massive crash that would be the opening act in a global economic crash of epic proportions. It has become useless to try and predict when since it by rights should have already happened.  The dark clouds on the horizon are getting a lot darker and a lot closer. I would keep in mind that we now live in a world that anything can happen at any time. 2018 will be a year of change, but what and how big I can't say. Don't count on anything still being there tomorrow and keep your eyes on the prize. The world seems to be reaching its expiration date, whenever it is, it seems to becoming quickly. 

Speaking of Armageddon, Revelation 19:20 says that the false prophet/Anglo American world power will be “caught” and thrown into the lake of fire “while still alive.” You can’t catch something that’s dead. That to me doesn’t sound like a global economic crash. According to scripture, the Anglo American world power will be “alive” and functioning, something that can’t be said if it were in a economic crises. This scripture was used with this reasoning in the last talk of the don’t give up convention. They’ve been saying for decades that there is an upcoming global economic crash. Every year they’re saying ‘this is the year’. I’ll believe it when I see it...

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

There have been wars and economic crashes like big market crash of 29 that led into the great depression. American continued to exist and function through those events. While we know it makes it to the end, that doesn't preclude the possibility of economic hardship. Even if things are great, with the increasing concentration of wealth in the hands of the few, the rest can strave even in a time of plenty. I do agree that since Amercia needs to remain a super power, any crash could not be a complete one that resulted in ending Amercan global influence. But short of that, anything is possible. 

In fact we are in a recession now. Growth is meagre. Uncertainty exists to a large scale. Massive layoffs, and trimming of workforce... all portents that the economy is sick. 

That said it will not escalate to a point where there is a pharaonic crash, or a total capitulation of world markets now. Why so? Because the bible says so! (Rev 18:11-19)

So no. Not until after the first phase of the great tribulation!

paradise.eternity.glory

On 1/10/2018 at 6:53 PM, Tortuga said:

Is it an Expiration date or a Best When Used By date?

:whistling:

No, it's easier to just say "sometime in the future they'll be a crash" than make an actual prediction. Hey, a broken clock is right twice a day;so, eventually you have to be right.

Note: what the world Bank is actually saying is:

The World Bank forecasts global economic growth to edge up to 3.1% in 2018 after a much stronger-than-expected 2017. 

Not "predicting an end to the global economy's strong run in 2018"

http://www.worldbank.org

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

14 hours ago, CyreJay said:

Brother Jack,

Thank you for that - Nice...I am going to share with my grandson.

You’re welcome sister Cyre :)

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

12 hours ago, trottigy said:

Apparently my portfolio missed the memo about a crash, the last two weeks have been good..:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Last 2 weeks? How about last 5 years?

Screenshot_20180114-145824.thumb.png.54b2952b5ed8cc646a1c7f24414ab26e.png

Beginning of 2016 was tough, but if you held steady it evened out.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

On 13/01/2018 at 10:51 PM, trottigy said:

No, it's easier to just say "sometime in the future they'll be a crash" than make an actual prediction. Hey, a broken clock is right twice a day;so, eventually you have to be right.

Note: what the world Bank is actually saying is: The World Bank forecasts global economic growth to edge up to 3.1 percent in 2018 after a much stronger-than-expected 2017The World Bank forecasts global economic growth to edge up to 3.1% in 2018 after a much stronger-than-expected 2017.

http://www.worldbank.org

You missed a bit, Jerry. This is the rest of what you quoted:  However, this is largely seen as a short-term upswing.   However, if you read the whole article it seems to contradict itself. I feel they are hedging their bets. However, not being an expert, or even a layman in the understanding of money, politics or the world economy, I could merely be misunderstanding what they are saying. 

I would just like to add that the operative word in the title of this topic is "APPARENT"

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

15 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

You missed a bit, Jerry. This is the rest of what you quoted:  However, this is largely seen as a short-term upswing.   However, if you read the whole article it seems to contradict itself. I feel they are hedging their bets. However, not being an expert, or even a layman in the understanding of money, politics or the world economy, I could merely be misunderstanding what they are saying. 

I would just like to add that the operative word in the title of this topic is "APPARENT"

Yes, the next paragraph says,

Growth in advanced economies is expected to moderate slightly to 2.2 percent in 2018, as central banks gradually remove their post-crisis accommodation and as an upturn in investment levels off. 

They don't expect it to stay at over 3% for a LONG time. Instead, it looks to go back to the 2 to 2.5% growth we've had for the last 8 years.

Nothing in the article though suggested "Doom and Gloom for World Economy."

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

There was a recent article about China economics not doing well yesterday and today.   It could be a lie, like most of the world's stories, but then it could be true.  Am just waiting for when everybody's cash flow is worthless and thrown out into the streets.  Some nut cases might think of that cliche "Pennies from Heaven" the money that is thrown out the business windows, where it hits some on their heads and who own and live in these high rise mansions, the rich and the poor toss out because money has no more value from any country around the world.  

The economy is completely false and unsustainable, like everything else in this system, it's make believe.  Yes, the US/Britain are the last world powers, but the end must be close, because the US is losing it's grip as a world power quickly.  I've been thinking about this a lot lately, There won't be another world power like them again, absolutely, however, it's like having a deck seat on the back of the titanic when it was sinking and thinking it's safer, or you won't go down with the ship.

Economy is complex, but can be broken down and understood. I've found the most important thing to learn is what exponential growth is, how it works.  This is happening in all the systems in this world now.  Also, read up on what "Fiat currency" is, that's very important to understand as well.  
The reason why I believe the US is breaking down and losing it's strength  is because the only reason why they're the superpower is because they have the world reserve currency.  Most important is oil is priced in USD, all other countries buying oil have to convert their currency to USD to buy energy, if theirs is worth less than the dollar, they pay more.  Also, the US has been printing money at a crazy pace. This is what "Quantitative easing" was.  The Fed buying back their own bonds. The government is something like 23 trillion dollars in debt to the Fed, hardly even being able to pay interest.  For years they've sold bonds to China in exchange for goods. This is like giving them a paper IOU slip and getting stuff like steel, coal, iron ore ect in return. Exchanging paper for something real.  Of course other countries got sick of taking the USD fiat money for their resources.  China/Russia have started a market trading oil for Chinese Yuan (lots of news coverage on this)  and now the rumor is that China wants to stop buying US bonds.  If this happens, China will start selling off all the billions of US bonds they hold, devaluing the USD while also offering the world an alternative reserve currency to the falling USD.  With trillions in debt and a falling dollar, the US will no longer have the money to fund the military industrial complex, deepening a recession at home and forcing the leaders to pull back military from foreign bases. This will make things worse when they lose control of strategic shipping routes for oil and other goods imported.  The problems will compound from there.  The important things to read up on are the facts, these are the exponential growth factor and Fiat currency. Once you understand those and how fractional reserve banking works, it'll all make sense, the financial system can only last so long, it's based on finite materials, but they act as if it'll just continue to grow infinitely.

A thought that crossed my mind lately is,  Revelation says the kings of the earth will submit and give their power to the image of the wild beast (UN)  why would a superpower, that's held that position on the world scene for so long, submit their power?  especially after having their way for so long?  Could it be a last ditch to stay powerful via the UN?  In any case, things in this system can't carry on much longer with the way these things work

Edited by Mountain man

it's like having a deck seat on the back of the titanic 

Indeed. Things are so bad behind the scenes that it sets a limit on how long things can go on. The run up in The stock market is a massive bubble that maybe about to pop. The world is unsustainable and the financial tricks used to keep things going can't be used forever. The cracks are multiplying each day. 

20 hours ago, Wm-Scott said:

it's like having a deck seat on the back of the titanic 

Indeed. Things are so bad behind the scenes that it sets a limit on how long things can go on. The run up in The stock market is a massive bubble that maybe about to pop. The world is unsustainable and the financial tricks used to keep things going can't be used forever. The cracks are multiplying each day. 

Yes, your absolutely right.  Financial analysts (The smart ones anyway)  are calling this the "everything bubble"  it's not just real estate or derivatives, or dot com companies this time, it's the stock market, bond market, real estate market, crypto currencies, and the list goes on.  the central banksters just keep finding ways to push back a correction, the last one being lowering interest rates, now there's nothing really to pump up the credit bubble further.  I think with the inflation we've seen and how overvalued things are, the next correction, or crash, may be the start of the tribulation or happen during the tribulation,.  Remember, money and gold being thrown in the streets, with the amount of fiat currency printed, it'll be worthless 

On 1/21/2018 at 1:08 PM, Mountain man said:

Yes, your absolutely right.  Financial analysts (The smart ones anyway)  are calling this the "everything bubble"  it's not just real estate or derivatives, or dot com companies this time, it's the stock market, bond market, real estate market, crypto currencies, and the list goes on.  the central banksters just keep finding ways to push back a correction, the last one being lowering interest rates, now there's nothing really to pump up the credit bubble further.  I think with the inflation we've seen and how overvalued things are, the next correction, or crash, may be the start of the tribulation or happen during the tribulation,.  Remember, money and gold being thrown in the streets, with the amount of fiat currency printed, it'll be worthless 

2 thoughts:

1. Remember the verse about the money and gold thrown in the streets is in reference to them be of no value to GOD -as they can't buy their salvation. (Ezekiel 7:19 - https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001133#h=3 )

2. Any thoughts on WHEN this "correction" is coming? One year, two, a decade, several decades? I would love to hear your thoughts on why you feel it is coming at that time?

Soon .....

18 hours ago, trottigy said:

2 thoughts:

1. Remember the verse about the money and gold thrown in the streets is in reference to them be of no value to GOD -as they can't buy their salvation. (Ezekiel 7:19 - https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001133#h=3 )

2. Any thoughts on WHEN this "correction" is coming? One year, two, a decade, several decades? I would love to hear your thoughts on why you feel it is coming at that time?

Agreed, nobody can buy salvation.  When Jehovah judges, money will not help anyone. Just seems that if this system went on long enough, fiat paper currency would be useless again as history repeats itself. Every country  that has tried to print their way to prosperity or to gain power has ended up in a hyper inflationary situation and the financial system has failed. Came close in '08 but central bankers cobbled together a plan to push the collapse a little further down the road. Many economist explain this band-aid fix for a deeper problem.  

If I could time the market  and tell you when the collapse will happen, man I wouldn't be working for someone by the hour lol.  Lot's of amazing minds in the financial world would love to be able to predict this next bubble.  It's nearly impossible since the banksters always pull a rabbit out of their hat and put another band aid on a hole in the hull of the sinking ship and keep it floating for a little longer.  Several investors, like Mike Burry were able to short the mortgage market  in '08 but even though they timed it right, the bankers were able to stall for a couple months. Eventually it happened anyway of course, they could only postpone it for a limited time.  The bailouts didn't change anything, problem still exists and it's now just way bigger.

What I will say is, can't speak for the states, but in Canada, emergency low interest rates have been in place for a decade now, bankers did this to avoid a crash, mainly in real-estate, and claimed this was a chance for people to get ahead on paying down debt.  In reality they did it to keep the economy rolling since it can't without new debt happening constantly.  Anyway, as usual people did the opposite and borrowed their brains out on cheap money instead of paying debt down.  Using low interest rates to postpone a correction is a one-way street though, and now the rates are rising, already an increase this year, likely to be followed by several more as rates normalize.  People here are absolutely maxed out, household debt has been rising for years, their running out of places to borrow money from, HELOC's, credit cards ect.  Now the housing bubble is likely to pop, so they can't use their houses as ATM machines to borrow against equity and payments will rise with interest rates, not just on Mortgage payments, but HELOC's, credit card payments, and all other loans. Nobody know's what banksters will do to avoid this correction.  The real estate market, Canada's biggest, Toronto, witch has been bubblicious for years, prices stupid compared to incomes, has already started to crash. New mortgage rules and a stress test are taking thousands of buyers out of the market. Once prices start to fall people hold off on buying, and panic selling can happen. 2018 will be an interesting year

This system still has to be functioning when the end comes, it's so close to a collapse now that the end must be close, that's why I think this bubble may pop after the tribulation starts,  and no man knows the time or hour that's going to happen

Edited by Mountain man

Yes, the boom/bust cycle will always happen.  Thing is, right now we're overdue for a correction and this is an unprecedented time in history, global population, energy demand ect.  

I read it explained this way;  laws govern the financial system just like laws govern the physical universe.  one of those laws is gravity, what goes up, must come down. Similar mathematical laws  govern the financial system.  
It's important to consider the facts though.  One is the exponential growth factor and how it applies in an economic sense.  More importantly though, exponential growth is happening, not just with economic inflation, but with population growth, climate change ect.  This is a mathematical fact that can't be denied. Lots of information explaining how it works available