JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apparent Doom and Gloom for World Economy

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1926 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

17 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Armageddon is a reset button isnt it?

Not really, no. It's the culmination of 6000 years of progression.

17 hours ago, Stormswift said:

If you are referring to the physical planet ... then yes Jehovah will reset that too

This sounds like you're taking "new heaven and new earth" literally the way other churches do.

47 minutes ago, Brandon said:

This sounds like you're taking "new heaven and new earth" literally the way other churches do.

Hmm, so stopping pollution and starting real clean up efforts is not a reset? It's not making things "new" again? It seems odd Jehovah would inspire that verbage if it weren't true, doesn't it?

I personally am ready for Jehovah to hit the BIG RESET on this crazy world - both for wickedness of the people and uncleanliness of the physical planet. It seems to me even the animals are ready for things to get reset / make things "new" again.  :yes:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Have you seen the big cracks in Peru? In Kenya? in The Saudi Desert? In Washington? In Hawaii? In Italy? In Croatia?They go for miles and are miles deep. That is just the tip of the iceberg of the scars and mess on this beautiful planet. You think Jehovah is going to keep those ugly scars on his planet? Then your idea of paradise is vastly different to mine.

Some things are beyond human fixing.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

23 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Have you seen the big cracks in Peru? In Kenya? in The Saudi Desert? In Washington? In Hawaii? In Italy? In Croatia?They go for miles and are miles deep. That is just the tip of the iceberg of the scars and mess on this beautiful planet. You think Jehovah is going to keep those ugly scars on his planet? Then your idea of paradise is vastly different to mine.

Some things are beyond human fixing.

I agree, I look forward to the time the Grand Canyon is repaired. I will also miss the Great Riff Vally. Sometimes we just need to be prepared to give up things we personally treasure for the greater good. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

i think some may be kept - only Jehovah knows of course, ones that are natural not caused through the actions of greed by man. Which brings us back to the topic of this thread lol.  While there is greed there will always be doom and gloom predictions for the economy until Jehovah steps in. So we shouldn't be surprised.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

37 minutes ago, Old said:

I agree, I look forward to the time the Grand Canyon is repaired. I will also miss the Great Riff Vally. Sometimes we just need to be prepared to give up things we personally treasure for the greater good. :)

I look forward to finding out what caused it. But would also like to see it before it’s no more...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

'It's the culmination of 6000 years of progression...'

English is a funny language. Progression toward destruction? or 6,000 years of degeneration toward implosion?
It's so good to have the truth to see that whatever happens, we know the end result.
There will be a 'reset.' Satan has been trying to tweek and fix the sytem with a 'Soft Reset', like trying to rewrite the system software and 'patch' how this system should run, on the fly! (Plenty of crashes)
What Jehovah will do is a 'Hard' or 'Factory Reset'. That will get the Operating System back to like it was straight out of the box!

With a few more people I guess ....
and 1,000 years to complete...

Sorry, bit of technical lingo. The 'reset' comment above seeded my imagination. I got carried away. I mean really, how can you put the earth in a box!!! Lol

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

4 hours ago, Old said:

I look forward to the time the Grand Canyon is repaired

What makes you think it is broken? :whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

20 hours ago, trottigy said:

starting real clean up efforts is not a reset?

nope, it's a big clean up.  A reset would entail burning the earth up in a ball of fire and and rapturing the faithful up to heaven until Jehovah creates a new planet in our galaxy; which btw is what a Bible study once told me they believed.  Let's be careful with the words we use, please. Words are powerful.

49 minutes ago, Brandon said:

A reset would entail burning the earth up in a ball of fire and and rapturing the faithful up to heaven until Jehovah creates a new planet in our galaxy;

That would be more of a backup and then reformatting, then restoring. Just following on with the computer lingo. :lol:

I see we are all talking about a reset being more like a reset to factory settings, the default settings the designer intended for the product. In this case Jehovah restoring the earth to paradise as it was in the beginning. As he intended. 

Nothing here about a rapture or burning earth. 

52 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Jehovah restoring the earth to paradise

Won't the new world be as much about us cleaning the earth up (under the Messianic Kingdom) as it is about Jehovah 'resetting the planet'? 

Perhaps it comes down to the differing views we find among witnesses today about what the first day after Armageddon will look like:

will everything made by human institutions (including electrical grids, plumbing, building infrastructures, etc) be gone, with just grasslands and water covering the earth, ready for us to build everything back up, or

will some basic infrastructure remain?  (and gradually removed by us, to be replaced with proper homes and communities befitting people of Jehovah)? 

Edited by Brandon

A reset doesn't have to be instantaneous. And maybe this is where you are having difficulty understanding.

Anyway, there is no reason to argue over words - 2 Tim 2:14. We can just agree to disagree - especially when there doesn't seem to be a desire to understand.

We certainly can agree that it will be wonderful to be in the "New world" where the bad things of this system are wiped away and the good things Jehovah originally purposed are restored.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Won't the new world be as much about us cleaning the earth up (under the Messianic Kingdom) as it is about Jehovah 'resetting the planet'? 

Regardless of what condition the planet is in after armageddon and who does the actual work of any clearing up, the credit will go to Jehovah because he has made it possible for us to be there in an earth cleansed of satanic influences and in that way it will be a paradise from day one regardless of the physical surroundings.

As far as I am concerned, Jehovah will have 're-set' the planet with armageddon.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Reset.. Backset..Upset... Just English words...

Jehovah is in charge all we have to do is be there.. 

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Imagine how those who are resurrected will feel when one moment they were dying and the next they are restored to perfect bodies in a paradise earth - like this one hanging on a stake next to Jesus (Luke 23:43) . Amazing!  :bouncing:

My last memory of my dad is that awful breathing sound he made while lying in a hospital bed with morphine dripping into him and then the breathing stopped. The next time I see him he will be fully restored and better. For him it will seem instantaneous. :cry:

What an awesome day today is as we remember the sacrifices that made all that possible.  :pray:

Enjoy this day and may it be our last memorial. If not, may we have the strength to endure to the last one and see all of these things come about.  :wave:

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

3 hours ago, trottigy said:

My last memory of my dad is that awful breathing sound he made while lying in a hospital bed with morphine dripping into him and then the breathing stopped. The next time I see him he will be fully restored and better. For him it will seem instantaneous. :cry:

Me too :wacko: I lost my dad when I needed him the most. I cry a lot sometimes.

paradise.eternity.glory

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Perhaps it comes down to the differing views we find among witnesses today about what the first day after Armageddon will look like:

will everything made by human institutions (including electrical grids, plumbing, building infrastructures, etc) be gone, with just grasslands and water covering the earth, ready for us to build everything back up, or

will some basic infrastructure remain?  (and gradually removed by us, to be replaced with proper homes and communities befitting people of Jehovah)? 

Whether Jehovah has a hand in cleaning it up or we do it solely - which won't include reconditioning the atmosphere only Jehovah can do it, but either way it's a reset.There will be plenty of work for us to do on the surface of things ... but we can't put back the oil man has squeezed from the earth - its like putting toothpaste back into its tube. There are some things that only Jehovah can do - easy.

And he plainly has said "Look I am making all things new" - A reset doesn't mean wiping the surface clean.

Also a few more points to consider is that:

a. we have 1000 years to undo six thousand years of damage to the earth, parttake in educating of resurrected ones.

and 

b. Jesus is going to be DIRECTLY involved with the earthly part of his kingdom - even choosing himself the Chieftain aka Princes of the Earth -

so thinking on those combined, it would not only be beneficial to receive divine help, but harmonious to combine the forces of the heavenly part of the kingdom with the subjects of that kingdom. It will be ONE harmonious organization working together. Hence BIG reset button and ongoing work from us.

Edited by Stormswift

Why can't both viewpoints be correct? Let's try to avoid becoming "obsessed with arguments and debates about words. These things give rise to envy, strife, slander, wicked suspicions, 5 constant disputes about minor matters" (1 Timothy 6:4, 5)

Some miracles like the Flood left 'scars' on the earth (perhaps the Grand Canyon), or maybe the ground opening up and covering over those who supported Korah with their belongings. On the other hand, angelic warfare was usually only targeted towards wicked individuals. The passover. Fire coming out from the tabernacle and consuming those offering incense against Jehovah's law. The one angel who killed 185,000 of the Assyrian army.

"w89 8/15 14 - Any and all scars left on the face of the earth from the globe-encircling conflict between Jehovah’s heavenly armies and the marshaled forces of evil will be removed. No trace will be left. 20 But what of all the war equipment that the nations will leave behind? In view of the symbolic indication of the length of time it will take to dispose of the combustible parts of them, the quantity will be enormous. (Ezekiel 39:8-10) Armageddon survivors may be able to adapt the materials of any remaining war relics of the nations to useful purposes.—Isaiah 2:2-4."

(Ezekiel 39:6-15) “‘And I will send fire against Maʹgog and against those who are inhabiting the islands in security, and they will have to know that I am Jehovah. 7 I will make my holy name known among my people Israel, and I will not allow my holy name to be profaned any longer; and the nations will have to know that I am Jehovah, the Holy One in Israel.’ 8 “‘Yes, this is coming, and it will be done,’ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah. ‘This is the day I have spoken about. 9 The inhabitants of the cities of Israel will go out and make fires with the weapons—the bucklers and shields, the bows and arrows, the war clubs and lances. And they will use them to light fires for seven years. 10 They will not need to take wood from the field or gather firewood from the forests because they will use the weapons to light fires.’ “‘They will take spoil from those who despoiled them and plunder from those who had been plundering them,’ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah. 11 “‘On that day I will give Gog a burial place there in Israel, in the valley of those who travel east of the sea, and it will block the path of those passing through. That is where they will bury Gog and all his hordes, and they will call it the Valley of Hamon-Gog. 12 The house of Israel will spend seven months burying them in order to cleanse the land. 13 All the people of the land will work at burying them, and this will bring them fame in the day that I glorify myself,’ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah. 14 “‘Men will be assigned to pass through the land constantly and bury the bodies left remaining on the surface of the earth, in order to cleanse it. They will continue the search for seven months. 15 When those who pass through the land see a human bone, they will set up a marker beside it. Then those assigned to do the burying will bury it in the Valley of Hamon-Gog.

Whatever the case, we know a few facts: We'll no longer be worried about having enough resources, there will be enough left for millions to live off of for a symbolic '7 years', perhaps even decades or hundreds of years. Also, this process of cleansing the land is going to take time, but only a mere symbolic '7 months' in comparison. I hate economics... the beauty of Jehovah's creation is that it's never a Zero Sum Game... it's always a Win-Win, always giving back more than the effort put into it, ever expanding and growing! That is quintessentially the miracle of life.

Edited by Myew

No, dear Brother.  Not crazy.  All of us are on the same page.  How Jehovah has planned for this world to be restored is going to be made clear soon.  We all realise there will be much work to do, but eventually all will be restored.  Alex brought up the scriptural thought from Ezekiel 39.  It's obvious that there will be a big clean up and we will all play a part, so we better be there for that :)

Now, since we are all saying exactly the same thing that there is going to be a big cleanup ... back to the economy and the dire straits it will face soon ... it's fragile now, with us only seeing parts of the failure ... soon though especially after the destruction of Babylon The Great = their river of gold will have dried up ... so I certainly expect it to fall like dominoes, but prior to this happening I see it failing in some countries too. That will depend largely on the actions or maybe the inactions of the political leaders.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Thank you for coming in with some reason, Alex. I felt like I was going crazy for a while in this thread.  :cry:

C'est la vie, ignorance is bliss. The only thing you can really try is to rewire your brain to not focus on the idiosyncratic via neuroplasticity/cognitive therapy. (Ecclesiastes 7:21) "Also, do not take to heart every word that people say;" (Ecclesiastes 1:18) For an abundance of wisdom brings an abundance of frustration, So that whoever increases knowledge increases pain.

I spent several hours today anxiously worrying and stressing, wasting time deliberating on if I should spend the money to buy an item which would be beneficial but I don't necessarily need if I can remember and be strict about planning things properly... made worse by the fact that I was taking so long that a $5 coupon on it ran out and then I was far more anxious. It's very hard to decide when buying anything anymore because supply is very high, but demand and disposable income are low. As the kind of person who never wastes money on coffee or restaurants or whatever, it's incredibly easy to see how unsustainable it all is. I hate being obsessive about money, I hate economics, I hate Satan's system. I'm glad it's falling apart... I have few needs aside from the essentials... and the internet... sigh. (Ecclesiastes 1:15) What is crooked cannot be made straight, And what is lacking cannot possibly be counted. (Ecclesiastes 12:12) To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh.