JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Officials mistakenly warn of inbound missile

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2249 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A whole lot of people must have been 'fain't out of fear'.

Who knows?  Maybe some will be so 'shaken', their spiritual side will awaken?

Might make for some interesting calls...:huh:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Human error, and it was a false alarm.  Shows the mess-up human error can cause.  Who's button is bigger again?  No wonder people are "faint out of fear".  Who's running this planet?  I too hope this might help some see there needs to be a better way, and maybe listen next time our brothers and sisters call.

1 minute ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Human error, and it was a false alarm.  Shows the mess-up human error can cause.  Who's button is bigger again?  No wonder people are "faint out of fear".  Who's running this planet?  I too hope this might help some see there needs to be a better way, and maybe listen next time our brothers and sisters call.

I love the box on page 13 of the WT 1/18. It applies anytime.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Human error, and it was a false alarm.  Shows the mess-up human error can cause.

One of my job responsibilities at the last facility I worked at was to activate the Community Warning System in case of any emergency. There were four levels of emergencies, the highest was a Level 3 notification and it was made if there was an emergency with off-site impact that presented any health risks.

The computer based system had templates available with specific instructions for the recipients. For example, one of the Level 3 templates instructed the recipient to shelter in place and so on. The surrounding communities were divided into Zones and we could sent the emergency notification to any combination of Zones or all of them. This particular system used a phone ring down system and would robocall each phone in the selected zone. We also had the option to include or exclude the sirens in each zone. 

We were to stay familiar with the system and test it once a week so we would do a live test that would be sent to just our callback number. It appears Hawaii uses a different system but if the procedures are similar I can see how they may have been doing a test at shift change using a prepared template and accidentally addressed it to all zones instead of the test callback number.

With all that in mind, our system was also designed with a push button activation for a Level 3 emergency. One night a Level 3 Emergency Notification was made and it took awhile to discover that a janitor was working in the alternate Emergency Operations Center and had 'accidentally' pushed the button. Once the system is started it takes a few minutes to log on and declare an "All Clear". The push buttons were later changed to require a key to activate. Duh...

I feel sorry for Hawaii...been there, done that...

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

10 hours ago, Tortuga said:

One of my job responsibilities at the last facility I worked at was to activate the Community Warning System in case of any emergency. There were four levels of emergencies, the highest was a Level 3 notification and it was made if there was an emergency with off-site impact that presented any health risks.

The computer based system had templates available with specific instructions for the recipients. For example, one of the Level 3 templates instructed the recipient to shelter in place and so on. The surrounding communities were divided into Zones and we could sent the emergency notification to any combination of Zones or all of them. This particular system used a phone ring down system and would robocall each phone in the selected zone. We also had the option to include or exclude the sirens in each zone. 

We were to stay familiar with the system and test it once a week so we would do a live test that would be sent to just our callback number. It appears Hawaii uses a different system but if the procedures are similar I can see how they may have been doing a test at shift change using a prepared template and accidentally addressed it to all zones instead of the test callback number.

With all that in mind, our system was also designed with a push button activation for a Level 3 emergency. One night a Level 3 Emergency Notification was made and it took awhile to discover that a janitor was working in the alternate Emergency Operations Center and had 'accidentally' pushed the button. Once the system is started it takes a few minutes to log on and declare an "All Clear". The push buttons were later changed to require a key to activate. Duh...

I feel sorry for Hawaii...been there, done that...

What goes on that we do not know. Amazing!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I wondered if someone insecure just might use this incident to be more proactive in, “taking care of matters”. It seems when all else fails, put the warmonger hat on, “ to protect country”, and, there is praise, unilateral. It seems in politics, bullies are loved. 

In the meantime, I wonder if there were any who had heart attacks because of this mess. 

And what came out of it is, “there is no recourse” for such. Except for anti-missiles. Ones actually hid in bathtubs. 

With things as they are, (antsy people in charge, politically) someone was playing golf. What could have happened if he’d been hanging out, bored, at the White House, when this came down? Stability is not paramount in certain minds. It’s all in the moment, with no thought of consequences. 

48 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

And what came out of it is, “there is no recourse” for such. Except for anti-missiles. Ones actually hid in bathtubs. 

With things as they are, (antsy people in charge, politically) someone was playing golf. What could have happened if he’d been hanging out, bored, at the White House, when this came down? Stability is not paramount in certain minds. It’s all in the moment, with no thought of consequences. 

Politicians and scared citizens are putting their own spin on this event but it was just an accident, they should learn from it and move on...

As far as the White House and Trump is concerned, there is a completely different process to notify them if there was an actual missile attack. They wouldn't rely on a State based emergency notification system to trigger their response, so I don't understand the criticism they are getting by the media...

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

Politicians and scared citizens are putting their own spin on this event but it was just an accident, they should learn from it and move on...

As far as the White House and Trump is concerned, there is a completely different process to notify them if there was an actual missile attack. They wouldn't rely on a State based emergency notification system to trigger their response, so I don't understand the criticism they are getting by the media...

Brother,  you are talking like things are somewhat normal.

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Nothing is normal! :D

Brother.

Kindly edit your avatar so I’d don’t keep trying to wipe a a hair off my iPad screen.

Then, we can attempt to restore normality.

5130F476-7874-4986-A71E-0558E5DCACB7.jpeg.f54aa5b39c91284875d2656e12fc8980.jpeg

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

2 hours ago, ChrisC said:

Brother.

Kindly edit your avatar so I’d don’t keep trying to wipe a a hair off my iPad screen.

Then, we can attempt to restore normality.

5130F476-7874-4986-A71E-0558E5DCACB7.jpeg.f54aa5b39c91284875d2656e12fc8980.jpeg

I see you discovered my imperfection and you failed the test...:D

I think the fact that so many people appear to have been completely confused about what to do really should be a wake-up call to Hawaii to better educate the residents and tourists.

The walkaway from this event really should be to forget the anger and political finger pointing. Improve the notification system, improve the education, improve the response.

It appears that Hawaii has already implimented some changes.

23 hours ago, Tortuga said:

were to stay familiar with the system and test it once a week so we would do a live test that would be sent to just our callback number. It appears Hawaii uses a different system but if the procedures are similar I can see how they may have been doing a test at shift change using a prepared template and accidentally addressed it to all zones instead of the test callback number.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/14/us/hawaii-false-alarm-explanation/index.html

It sounds like that is what happened.

Now the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency is receiving death threats..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/01/15/hawaii-worker-who-pushed-button-reassigned-after-bungled-missile-alert/1033421001/

That always a good idea, lets all threaten the agency that is responsible for making split second decisions that could save our life. Then make it harder for them to do a good job, then make them scared to do it. Maybe next time they'll wait until the missile hits before they push the button, less complaints that way...

Now, where are the 'sarcasm' and 'people are stupid' emojis....?

On 1/13/2018 at 8:43 PM, Tortuga said:

With all that in mind, our system was also designed with a push button activation for a Level 3 emergency. One night a Level 3 Emergency Notification was made and it took awhile to discover that a janitor was working in the alternate Emergency Operations Center and had 'accidentally' pushed the button. Once the system is started it takes a few minutes to log on and declare an "All Clear". The push buttons were later changed to require a key to activate. Duh..

I just remembered, they added a 5 second countdown clock that was only visible on the live notification, the test notification did not show the clock. 

If you were testing the system and saw the clock, you had 5 seconds to cancel it. A Human Factors review suggested that to the administrating contractor.

If Hawaii had the 5 second delay the operator would have realized he had pushed the wrong button and could have cancelled it.

Days after Hawaii alert gaffe, Japan issues false alarm about a missile launch

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-japan/days-after-hawaii-alert-gaffe-japan-issues-false-alarm-about-a-missile-launch-idUSKBN1F514S

Japanese public broadcaster NHK issued a false alarm about a North Korean missile launch on Tuesday, just days after a similar gaffe caused panic in Hawaii, but it managed to correct the error within minutes.

It was not immediately clear what triggered the mistake.

"We are still checking," an NHK spokesman said.

• 2 weeks later...

Findings came out today...

The Hawaii employee who sent out a false alarm earlier this month warning of an incoming missile attack had a troubled work history and said he misunderstood a drill and believed a ballistic missile was actually heading for the state, according to state and federal investigators.

The employee's work history was detailed by a state investigation made public Tuesday that found he had "been a source of concern ... for over 10 years" to his coworkers. On at least two other occasions, that probe found, this employee also "confused real life events and drills."

A federal investigation released earlier Tuesday said the employee believed there "was a real emergency, not a drill" when he sent out the Jan. 13 alert that terrified Hawaiian residents. This contradicted the explanations previously offered by Hawaii officials, who have said the alert was sent because an employee hit the wrong button on a drop-down menu.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/01/30/heres-what-went-wrong-with-that-hawaii-missile-alert-the-fcc-says/?utm_term=.dbe9e50d67f2

:o

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif