JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Phone tie-ins for the meetings

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1899 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Great, thanks for that info.  Yes, we had a recent reno and got an HP computer, it works fine, but I know what you mean, some systems are more combresome for certain tasks. I've recently ordered a google box to setup VOIP at our hall, from Larry's advice, hoping this helps with our issue's

Our cong uses both LiveKingdomHall and the conference phone-in. I love LiveKingdomHall because seeing the speaker (and some of the bros and sis) adds to the feeling that you're actually there. It also makes it easier to concentrate (my mind tends to wander if I'm just listening on the phone.) Also, some brothers and sisters will come up to the front of the hall and wave to us before the meeting, which is a nice feeling when you're home sick and feeling like garbage.

I have a couple wishes for LiveKingdomHall. One is to have a better resolution. The camera takes in the entire platform, but this leaves the speaker's face kind of small and grainy. The other wish I have is that we can see the videos when they play. In our hall, the screens are far apart and off to each side. The camera doesn't include them, so when a video is played, we only hear the sound. Of course, we can always watch the video on the tablet at home. Not a big deal, just minor wishes.

4 hours ago, richterbelmont10 said:

(my mind tends to wander if I'm just listening on the phone.)

I am so thankful for tie-in, but also have to work at concentration.  It makes me think of our brothers and sisters that are only connected from a distance and am doubly grateful that I can attend many (most?) meetings in person. 

A few years ago, a sister found out we could get that conference call thingy (like used in offices) thru the phone company.

Cost for set-up.....$5.

Cost per month....$0

And don’t think there’s any limit to number of call ins.

A lot better than the last system we had. I think only 2 people could be on the line.

All of us were so grateful to this sister for checking on this.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

• 8 months later...

I found out today that KHConf has a limit of 130 minutes, so they reccomend that the brother doing the Sound and the ones listening in don't call more that 5 or 10 minutes before the meeting begins. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 1/19/2018 at 10:37 AM, ChrisC said:

I would like a khconf pause button.

’Hang on brother I’m just going to add your comment as a note to JW Library.’

Though I would no doubt get sidetracked deep in some scripture!

A video feed would be nice but I find things more overwhelming now, having to frequently pause just about anything I watch. But it’s not about me!

I have often had the same thought about being able to pause or rewind something I didn't quite hear. And record it or have closed captioning when I watch it on my PC. I get so used to being able to do that with the TiVo on TV that I forget and wish  it were the same for the meetings..:) But I appreciate what I do have very much..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

57 minutes ago, Qapla said:

All our meetings are recorded by the phone system and we can d/l them to listen to them later ... 

Which system are you using?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

12 minutes ago, jwhess said:

We use KH Audio and it has recording available on the front page but we don't use it.

We use KHAudio too, I hadn't noticed a recording option. I'll take a look..

10 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

We use KHAudio too, I hadn't noticed a recording option. I'll take a look..

Br. Richard, If your system looks something like this, the recording part is in the middle ot the top (second row down.)  somewhat to the left.

kha.png

We use http://mymeetings.org/

image.thumb.png.adf5e4c9230a96c1fdc256f96c121f41.png

As you can see, the Recording is "On" by default and the meetings are recorded and named by the system. We can d/l the recording and give it out as needed.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 minutes ago, Qapla said:

We use http://mymeetings.org/

image.thumb.png.adf5e4c9230a96c1fdc256f96c121f41.png

As you can see, the Recording is "On" by default and the meetings are recorded and named by the system. We can d/l the recording and give it out as needed.

Do any of these systems that you know of provide closed captioning for hard of hearing?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Since most of these are "Audio Only" systems, they do not include closed captioning ...

I am not sure if the ones that stream video would have that option since there would be not be anyone typing in the closed captioning and, from what I have seen on TV, some of the "automated" systems make too many mistakes to rely on an accurate rendition of Theocratic Truth

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

34 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Since most of these are "Audio Only" systems, they do not include closed captioning ...

Yes, I was thinking about video. We used to listen on the phone but were upgraded lol to streaming to our PC and TV, which would show cc if it were available.

The program our KH uses is called ZOOM and I don't know if it's the program that doesn't have it or just that the KH doesn't subscribe to it.

I have a Captel desk phone that has the typing service so I can understand how that wouldn't work with the meetings because many times they make some really serious mistakes, like Spellcheck :S

Edited by Dove

On 1/14/2018 at 10:43 PM, BibleSteve said:

livekingdomhall.com brilliant service and gaining more and more congregations every month. I sometimes have had to listen on my mobile phone while travelling and it never lets me down.

I just tired in livekingdomhall.com and discovered our third congregation uses it whilst we (two other congregations) use KHConf. Wondering now if one is better than the other? 

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)