JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Thunderbird and jwpub.org

Sorry if this is not quite the right forum thread to post on.

I am sure the moderators will move it to the right place if necessary.

I have a jwpub.org email account which I can access on my tablet and phone.

However, I have tried to set it up on Thunderbird for my PC but cannot get it to work

despite trying all sorts of things.

Maybe it is just not possible or I am just not inputting the right information.

Has anyone had any success?

If so can you share the secret to get it working.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Catalyst

I know jwpub.org accounts can only send and receive emails to/from other jwpub accounts.  It is not a full fledged email service that can send emails anywhere.  

I'm not sure if a full fledged email application can be used for jwpub.org or not.  Good question. 

My understanding is that jwpub.org is an intranet and not an internet. 

Thunderbird works with the standard mail protocols (POP3, IMAP, SMTP), while JWPub works exclusively on the Microsoft Exchange format.

In terms of compatibility you'll have the best results with Microsoft Outlook (part of the paid Microsoft Office suite) or Windows Mail (free with Windows 10), though there are a few open-source alternatives that can natively connect to Microsoft Exchange.

I was going to wait for a couple of weeks to ask pretty much the same question.  I have an Android phone and tablet.  I setup the Jwpub mail on both devices and they work perfect.  However I can't get the exchange account setup on my windows 10 machine.  It keeps giving me an error that says can't connect to the server or something like that.  For the brief time that we were using 365, I had it setup on my laptop and it worked great.  I hope it becomes allowed to work on Windows computers.  I really like being able to use see all my email accounts in one location.  

Also I recently switched from outlook to the full version of Office 365 at home.  Its free for me to use as long as I'm with the company I work with.  What is interesting, our company uses Exchange, and I can set that up on not only both of my Android devices but I can also set it up on my windows machine.  

Edited by The Deej

Is it just for the German territory or worldwide that through jwpub I have access to all bethel departments? That's different to the old jw.org version where I only had my congregation elders and MS on my contact list. Now for example I can see the email addresses from the service department, LDC, financial services, PR and the legal department. Only the GB email address is missing :detective: :lol1:

Thanks for the replies. I had the old JW office 365 account on TB and that worked fine but it stopped when it changed to  the new jwpub. So I guess that it is incompatible with TB. I still use windows 7 so that could be another factor. Anyway for now I will foget about trying to use it on the PC at least with TB. I can access on my tablet and phone so it should be good enough.

13 hours ago, Catalyst said:

Thanks for the replies. I had the old JW office 365 account on TB and that worked fine but it stopped when it changed to  the new jwpub. So I guess that it is incompatible with TB. I still use windows 7 so that could be another factor. Anyway for now I will foget about trying to use it on the PC at least with TB. I can access on my tablet and phone so it should be good enough.

You might try going to the login page at JW.ORG and sign in.  Select the old "inbox" tab at the top of the page.  Part way don the left side is a rectangle marked "go to your inbox".  Click on this and it will take you to the login for you JWPUB mail.  Highlight and copy the URL at the top of the page.  Go to your desktop and right click to make a new "shortcut".  When it asks for the URL just paste the one you copied.  Give it a name and say OK.  You will find an internet icon on your desktop (mine is a Chrome button).  When you click on the shortcut it takes you to the email login at JWPUB.  If you don't want it on the desktop, move it where you do want it.  

Another choice I have used is simpler.  When I am at the email login, I just choose "bookmark" in the browser.  It allows me to make the bookmark and put it into whatever location I want.  Click on this bookmark and it takes you to the email.  All in Windows....

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, John, your approach works fine. The issue is that I have Thunderbird running in the background so that I know the moment an email arrives. When I was able to get my JW email through Thunderbird I would know right away. Now i have to remember to check JW email.

This is asking a lot of a victim of stage 4 Adamic disease.

• 1 month later...
On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, Stavro said:

Thunderbird works with the standard mail protocols (POP3, IMAP, SMTP), while JWPub works exclusively on the Microsoft Exchange format.

In terms of compatibility you'll have the best results with Microsoft Outlook (part of the paid Microsoft Office suite) or Windows Mail (free with Windows 10), though there are a few open-source alternatives that can natively connect to Microsoft Exchange.

If I recall correctly, JWPub is not supported on the Windows Desktop version of Outlook, because JWPub uses OWA (Outlook Web Access) and EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) protocols, which are not supported by Outlook on the Desktop. 

Windows Mail supports EAS and is therefore compatible with JWPub. 

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:20 AM, juliansan said:

Is it just for the German territory or worldwide that through jwpub I have access to all bethel departments? That's different to the old jw.org version where I only had my congregation elders and MS on my contact list. Now for example I can see the email addresses from the service department, LDC, financial services, PR and the legal department. Only the GB email address is missing :detective: :lol1:

Brothers with a mailbox role in the old version (jw.org) will be able to see the Branch Mailboxes of the branch overseeing their location, IIRC. You will not, however, have access to the Branch Mailboxes of other branches, or of the other internal mailboxes, unless you have explicitly been granted access due to an assignment. 

• 5 years later...
On 10/25/2023 at 6:07 AM, jwhess said:

You are trying to get the jwpub email to work with Thunderbird?  I thought T'bird was abandoned by Mozzila in 2014. 

We use it for our AV desk when brothers send their pictures for their talks. It is still available for download.

As for connecting it to JW Hub email?

I Have No Idea GIF

• 1 month later...

the short answer is no.

the medium answer is not easily 

the longer answer:

jwpub currently uses eas for its connection. TB does not support this protocol.  There are some paid add-ons that do their best, but I have not tried them and I have heard varying success.  There are some real hack ways of doing it but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone (ie: set up your own davx proxy).  

and TB is alive and well

It is possible to use TB with jwpub email. Does not require hacking but an extension called Owl for Exchange. Here is their official link - https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/thunderbird/addon/owl-for-exchange/

Also, search for word "owl" in the forums and you will find others using it. If remember correctly, it is a paid add on, but it is not too much if you want to have the email arriving to an app