JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Day Google Maps Street View Came To Town

I don't know how to start new thread, so any help is appreciated...

I was standing next to the cart in the main street last month, when I noticed a funny looking car drive by. I wish I was paying more attention! It was the Google Maps Street View camera doing the rounds.

I can picture myself staring at this odd looking vehicle - no doubt mouth open with a puzzled look - wondering what is coming down the road. By the time my brain got in gear and I worked out what it was, I then did a quick check of my self, tie straight, hair in place, shoes shined, display tidy... only to once again have the brain kick in to make me aware:"It's too late now, the pictures have already been taken!"

Now I'm worrying, 'what if I was drooling?' 'No', I say, I should be right....

I did watch the Google Car pull up and the driver get out, so I wandered over and had a chat to see how long before the new map data is uploaded. 4-6 weeks he said....

Oh, I thought... my 15 minutes of fame, but I have to be patient... deep down I was excited! Maybe not even that deep. I was checking Google Street View almost daily...

I recall the day the car drive past, it was overcast with some light showers. The street view online was a bright and sunny day, so I knew the new data had not been uploaded... until one day late December the Google Maps Street View changed to grey and overcast view. THIS IS IT! I'm gonna be famous...

So I navigate to my favourite spot to view myself on Google Maps, with a draft email ready to send to family and friends 'Hey guys! Check me out!', but I wasn't there. I was crushed.

After some days I was able to get back online and view Google Maps Street View a little more objectively, and realized the blue line you navigate on - is on the other side of the road.... What I'm assuming that means is that after he had his cup of coffee, and continued on his merry way, the showers had departed and they used his vision on his return trip, long after I had moved on.

It has been some months now since my encounter with the Google Maps man, and my eyes still well up when I think about how close I came to having a real web presence acknowledged by Google, but at least I can start to talk about it now .

So the thread I wanted to start was one with successful captures of carts on Google Street View. Please post pics or links of you next to the carts, and maybe a story of what you were thinking or doing on 'The Day Google Came to Town'. No photoshop please. I got plenty of my own. Just real Google pics. TIA. Pic below... The tree where I was supposed to be. 2f83c92fb1f0e83027a475478ebabe20.jpg

Older

{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

3 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

I don't know how to start new thread, so any help is appreciated...

I was standing next to the cart in the main street last month, when I noticed a funny looking car drive by. I wish I was paying more attention! It was the Google Maps Street View camera doing the rounds.

I can picture myself staring at this odd looking vehicle - no doubt mouth open with a puzzled look - wondering what is coming down the road. By the time my brain got in gear and I worked out what it was, I then did a quick check of my self, tie straight, hair in place, shoes shined, display tidy... only to once again have the brain kick in to make me aware:"It's too late now, the pictures have already been taken!"

Now I'm worrying, 'what if I was drooling?' 'No', I say, I should be right....

I did watch the Google Car pull up and the driver get out, so I wandered over and had a chat to see how long before the new map data is uploaded. 4-6 weeks he said....

Oh, I thought... my 15 minutes of fame, but I have to be patient... deep down I was excited! Maybe not even that deep. I was checking Google Street View almost daily...

I recall the day the car drive past, it was overcast with some light showers. The street view online was a bright and sunny day, so I knew the new data had not been uploaded... until one day late December the Google Maps Street View changed to grey and overcast view. THIS IS IT! I'm gonna be famous...

So I navigate to my favourite spot to view myself on Google Maps, with a draft email ready to send to family and friends 'Hey guys! Check me out!', but I wasn't there. I was crushed.

After some days I was able to get back online and view Google Maps Street View a little more objectively, and realized the blue line you navigate on - is on the other side of the road.... What I'm assuming that means is that after he had his cup of coffee, and continued on his merry way, the showers had departed and they used his vision on his return trip, long after I had moved on.

It has been some months now since my encounter with the Google Maps man, and my eyes still well up when I think about how close I came to having a real web presence acknowledged by Google, but at least I can start to talk about it now .

So the thread I wanted to start was one with successful captures of carts on Google Street View. Please post pics or links of you next to the carts, and maybe a story of what you were thinking or doing on 'The Day Google Came to Town'. No photoshop please. I got plenty of my own. Just real Google pics. TIA. Pic below... The tree where I was supposed to be. emoji22.png2f83c92fb1f0e83027a475478ebabe20.jpg

Older

Wow it would have been a clear shot too

So sorry you didn't make the cut. I did make the cut and my backside has been viewed on GoogleEarth's street view. Maybe many times, at least 5 times anyway, mostly members of JWTalk. Be glad you weren't recorded, it can go to your head. 

Signed:

Famous in Newport Oregon

at 6245 NE Deer Lane  :):D:lol:

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

12 hours ago, Old said:

So sorry you didn't make the cut. I did make the cut and my backside has been viewed on GoogleEarth's street view. Maybe many times, at least 5 times anyway, mostly members of JWTalk. Be glad you weren't recorded, it can go to your head. 

Signed:

Famous in Newport Oregon

Can I have your autograph. Please?

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

13 hours ago, Old said:

Signed:

Famous in Newport Oregon

So, could you say: “I’ve been googled?” Well at least they got your best side.  :lol2::whistling:

Not it sure but I thought they blurred out the faces.???

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Myself and my wife were captured next to our MET carts about a year ago, so I have been counting 24hours a day field service time since then!

I did 8760 hours last service year...

:D

I won't post the picture as I value my anonymity. (As shown by my username!!) ......

.....And I'm not exactly photogenic!

MWNN

So, could you say: “I’ve been googled?” Well at least they got your best side.  2::whistling:

Not it sure but I thought they blurred out the faces.???

I also thought they blurred out the faces. But my stunningly unique physique would have been immediately recognisable. My photogenic 6 pack (picture Aussie Beer KEG) is almost trademarkable for me...

Older

3 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

my stunningly unique physique would have been immediately recognisable. My photogenic 6 pack (picture Aussie Beer KEG) is almost trademarkable for me...

Older

• Yes, you are quite the  specie!:coffee:   

• Still trying to figure out which one!  :popcorn: :lol1:Jk

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

I saw one in the other London back in late Aug/ early Sept/17. Years ago - Sept /15 on our cross country camping trip we saw a TomTom car on the winding roads in the Badlands of South Dakota.

We spent next 2 days at White River KOA camp. 1st night before it clouded up - you could almost grab a handful of stars. :thumbsup:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

At my favourite tree today. Thought about 'that day'. Then thought :'Wonder if he drove past our new hall site? ' Answer is Yes! (See below)
Our 1st meeting is tonight. 7be8e62719b54cb81d07532c18fe8f0a.jpg91848bfe05af55b69eb6bf1985192c8c.jpgeb715a08d64587cb079e78951816ad86.jpg

Older

Some of the Saturday morning field service group caught chatting together by a Google Street View car on Walney Island - part of our town separated from the mainland by a tidal channel crossed by a bridge.

Big brother with his back to the car is one of my younger siblings; the tall brother in the white jacket is one of my nephews; the sister in the purplish coloured coat died recently after many years of faithful service; the brother with the bald spot has since left our town; and the third brother is an elder in our Cong.

GoogleStreetView_FieldService.png

• 3 weeks later...

Aww!. Note on google maps picture above - I used to help special pioneer, the late Auntie Connie Prout,wheel her granddaughter Louise around in her pram on the ministry here years ago when I was just a little girl myself in that area.

Most of the streets on Walney are named after ships built for Navies of the World or ocean liners built at the once famous shipyards at Barrow in the 19th-20th Century. BEA Systems there still builds nuclear submarines.

My Dad bought a vintage car off the last lady lighthouse-keeper at Walney Island's lighthouse, which was a long walk over rough wetlands and bird  habitats to  get to the lighthouse where Peggy Braithwaite sold Dad her late husband's 1929 Bullnose Morris for £15. 10 shillings and sixpence - her price (pre-decimal old English money)- no haggling!

The old car had large mudguards with running-boards between, where the spare canister of gas/petrol was strapped. It did not have an ignition key. Dad had a big crank handle to put in the front of the engine and turn as fast as he could to get the engine going. It would start very slowly at first and this gave kids around the neighbourhood the chance to jump on to the running boards for a cheeky lift for a few yards, which annoyed my Dad as it wasn't a safe thing to do!  

The car had a soft-top that lifted over and clipped to the front wind-screen and had yellow celluloid windows (early see-through plastic that had yellowed with age) and a fold out dickie seat in the back. Sold it to a museum a few years later. Fond memories of Walney!

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/Walney-story-features-in-talk-and-exhibition-e228e7b5-6ccc-4183-95dc-7d1e9297815d-ds

It's eye-popping what a vintage car like that is worth these days!! https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C896115

On 1/22/2018 at 5:00 PM, TonyWenz said:

At my favourite tree today. Thought about 'that day'. Then thought :'Wonder if he drove past our new hall site? ' Answer is Yes! (See below)
Our 1st meeting is tonight. 7be8e62719b54cb81d07532c18fe8f0a.jpg91848bfe05af55b69eb6bf1985192c8c.jpgeb715a08d64587cb079e78951816ad86.jpg

Older

Beautiful, minimilist, class..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 1/18/2018 at 7:37 PM, Old said:

Signed:

Famous in Newport Oregon

so awe-inspiring!!! :D

backside.JPG

21 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

There you are in the garden!!! I looked at this on my phone, and never noticed you. So this is you? I can see how that could mess with your head...
(At least they didn't have to blurr your face emoji41.png)

Older

Never did learn to put my best face forward. :angry:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.