JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New GB Member

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1835 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 hour ago, MentalProject said:

I didn’t include link. I have tried before but you don’t seem to be able to include links on Instagram.

Citing the source for a news release should be entirely adequate. Not citing the source would indicate you are taking credit for the articles, which would not be covered under fair use. Give credit where credit is due. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 minutes ago, Old said:

Citing the source for a news release should be entirely adequate. Not citing the source would indicate you are taking credit for the articles, which would not be covered under fair use. Give credit where credit is due. :)

I took a screen shot of the web page. It was pretty obvious.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

do we really have to comment on possible medications the GB members may or may not be on?  :wacko:

I really hope we could apply the principle of, if nothing upbuilding to say, maybe not say it at all. Especially when there is so much positive to say about these ones!  Their spirituality is of such a high calibre that Jehovah, the Creator of all things, specifically watched and individually chose them to soon take on a privilege higher than the angels receive!

let's comment on what their spirit, not their bodies, look like. no?

I'm sorry was just commenting on the difference between looking overweight - and puffy - not any reference to any medications just an example of what certain meds would do - how would I know? He just doesn't look overweight to me that's all. It's more a comment about them getting older and having this new brother appointed would of course lessen their load - which is a very kind provision from Jehovah.

I'm in no doubt about their spiritual qualifications, but we also get concerned about any brother or sister when their physical shell is breaking down - albeit a secondary concern to their spiritual person. 

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

6 hours ago, Sylv said:

I would think that, as you included a link to the actual article, it is not copyright infringement. Also, it a news release, isn't it? Are those not meant to be distributed?

There's actually a term for a related phenomenon, when someone uses another persons material and posts it on their own site - thus drawing away visitors from the author's/creator's site or article - and accumulating 'visitors', 'watches', 'clicks', etc. usually resulting in ad revenue. It's called 'FreeBooting'. Though in this specific case, the content creator (the Organization) isn't profiting from - or more importantly losing profit - from other people posting their material, often people do lose out on revenue. Just a friendly reminder to be careful when thinking about posting or uploading other people's work, it can be copyright infringement if revenue from traffic is being redirected away from the original source. 

The More You Know :)

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

do we really have to comment on possible medications the GB members may or may not be on?  :wacko:

Correct. 

Let's make sure to not discuss the health of any Governing Body member, especially as there is no cause to do so.  The number of Governing Body members fluctuates. We lose members due to death. We gain members due to the demand of the work load. At one time there were 17 members, if I recall correctly. 

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

Oh, my bad, I looked at an outdated article from October 15, 2015, Watchtower.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20151015/helpers-governing-body-committees

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

No, they can be either anointed or other sheep.

Yeah, true, as in the case of Brother Cook. I'm excited to see him host a JWB monthly program. :ecstatic:

Semi-rimmed spectacles like mine. Good choice. Limits glare from overhead lights in the Hall. I like your thinking brother.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

47 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Is good musk name Jr., or did the person who made the image not know where to put the suffix? 

This is an ongoing life problem for me, I am a Junior also.  The computer will show Jr. Hess, John W.  or Hess, Jr., John W. or....well you get the point.  I promised that I would never name a child with a suffix (no Jr. or III or 2nd or whatever).  The digital age just does not get it correct.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

@1MKnight  I'm not sure an urban dictionary entry is enough to assert that "there's a term for it..."

:huh:

9 hours ago, leoperales said:

Hi brother. I disagree. Languages evolve, and free booting is even in Collins Dictionary. 

@leoperales  Yes, the term freebooting is found in some major dictionaries. However, the way it's defined there is not how it is starting to be used. Due to the development of the modern internet entertainment economy, new problems have evolved to match, and as with so many other things today a new term (or in this case an old term) had been created (redefined) to explain a peculiarity of our modern times. 

@Sylv The only way that this is related to your comment about posting the Slave's material is that I suppose it could be viewed as directing attention away from the official sources. For example, someone could take a screenshot of the article in question and post it for others to see, or they could say "A new GB member was appointed, check it out on JW.org!" 

While that may be the correct answer, it may also be pedantic. I'm not familiar with the ToU enough to be sure.

As to the actual thread topic at hand, This is very exciting news. I do wonder if it'll be some time before we get to see Br Cook host a Broadcast or if it'll be as soon as Feb or March. I'd imagine those would take some time to prepare, so I'd guess it'll be a while (unless they told him to start preparing for a Broadcast before they told him he was appointed xD ) . On the other hand they may show a morning worship or interview with him in the meantime. Looking forward :D

P.S. (Here are a few sources of Freebooting's modern usage: Techtarget, Business Inisder, Slate, AdWeek, The Wall Street Journal, Smarter Every Day)

43 minutes ago, 1MKnight said:

@leoperales  Yes, the term freebooting is found in some major dictionaries. However, the way it's defined there is not how it is starting to be used. Due to the development of the modern internet entertainment economy, new problems have evolved to match, and as with so many other things today a new term (or in this case an old term) had been created (redefined) to explain a peculiarity of our modern times. 

@Sylv The only way that this is related to your comment about posting the Slave's material is that I suppose it could be viewed as directing attention away from the official sources. For example, someone could take a screenshot of the article in question and post it for others to see, or they could say "A new GB member was appointed, check it out on JW.org!" 

While that may be the correct answer, it may also be pedantic. I'm not familiar with the ToU enough to be sure.

As to the actual thread topic at hand, This is very exciting news. I do wonder if it'll be some time before we get to see Br Cook host a Broadcast or if it'll be as soon as Feb or March. I'd imagine those would take some time to prepare, so I'd guess it'll be a while (unless they told him to start preparing for a Broadcast before they told him he was appointed xD ) . On the other hand they may show a morning worship or interview with him in the meantime. Looking forward :D

P.S. (Here are a few sources of Freebooting's modern usage: Techtarget, Business Inisder, Slate, AdWeek, The Wall Street Journal, Smarter Every Day)

Koo...