JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Woman in Kent UK attacks 3 Jehovah’s Witnesses at the door

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2207 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

It doesn't say if she attacked them because they were witnesses or just because they knocked on her day.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Here is the report from Kent Live: http://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/tunbridge-wells-woman-attacked-three-1110141

A woman from Tunbridge Wells has pleaded guilty to beating three Jehovah's Witnesses with a hammer when they knocked on her door to talk about the bible.

Kerry Mitchell, 44, of Lott Close in Southborough, pleaded guilty to three counts of assault by beating, one count of possessing an offensive weapon in a public place and one count of racially or religiously aggravated harassment.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Sickening. I really hope they are okay. 

Edited to add that people are really insane. One of my friends locally just told me about how she pulled up to a house, the woman contained her large dogs. When she found out the purpose of the visit, she let the dogs loose. I'm surprised that my dear friend was not bitten- these seemed to be the type to do it, plus she has many health problems and can't run. :(

Edited by Saffron

Added a paragraph

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Good-O said:

Why were three (3) JWs at her door?  

It's not often it happens. But there can be three working together in service, and all of them go to a door together. One of them, however, stands a little distance away.

To my knowledge, there is nothing in any of our publications that say three cannot do a door at the same time. Nor is there anything saying three cannot conduct a Bible study together.

But I don't think it's a good idea to make a habit of it.

Edited by Sheep

I'm so sorry for what happened to those brothers and hope they recovered well. On the other hand, I'm glad that this case was reported to the authorities and went to court.

There used to exist a mentality among JWs that being peaceful means to put up with anything people do to us, even physical assaults. But that is not correct. Romanian friends are very fond of a story about a woman who poured a boiling soup pot on some sisters who called on her door. One of the sisters, after going back home and changing her clothes, went back to the lady with another pot of soup to replace the one she had thrown. The woman was so impressed that she began studying and what else. I have always hated that story. Sorry but no, you cannot throw a boiling soup at anyone. You could kill someone or cause them permanent burns! If you don't like Witnesses, don't open the door or tell them you are not interested. Of course the sister, if that story is even true, had the best of intentions, but she was actually transmitting the idea that Witnesses are idiot wimps and you can do anything to us without fear of the consequences.

Christians try to be peaceful and don't reply with insults when we are insulted. There will be occasions when we are physically abused and won't be able to do anything about it, right. But if someone in service hits you with a hammer or throws a boiling soup at you, for God's sake, call the police!

I supposed it depends on a person's conscience. Reminds me of how some mates choose to stay with oppressive or even violent mates that are eventually won over by the truth and their mate's meek conduct. I can only hope if someone tries to harm me or one of my friends in service that I will just walk away and not retaliate. But I'm not sure if I would want to go back and risk getting hurt again, perhaps write or call? I know Jesus prayed for those killing him and it showed his strength not weakness. Sadly, the nations will even consider us unprotected soon  as we won't retaliate or fight during the coming Great Tribulation.... People will only contine getting more aggressive in service...

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Just now, cricket246 said:

People will only contine getting more aggressive in service...

This is only true if we keep on keep on sending a message of "we never retaliate to any crimes".

The branch has very clear directions on how to react to violent householders, which your service overseer will clarify if you ask. Personally, I'm not so sure that "conscience" gives us the right to disregard counsel from the branch.

I think I may have told this before, but hey! that is a privilege elderly get to enjoy (Actually they can't help themselves.)

We lived in a very rural territory, much of which can only be described as the boonies. There were three of us in the car that morning. I sent the other two to the first house on a private lane and I went to the other house. The door was opened I was confronted by a householder holding an automatic pistol in his hand; he did not point it at me, made no threatening gesture, but politely told me he wasn’t interested. I said not a word, I was speechless, my heart was in my throat. Needless to say, I left without further prompting.

On a different day in the same area, a local homeowner angrily turned away the Witnesses from his door. When he noticed them going to the next house, his rental property, he fired a rifle over their heads and told them to “Get the h--l off my property.” The publishers were advised to file charges, which they did and the property owner was fined.

In a way this was strange, this man appeared to be very mild tempered, how do I know? At that time he was an employee of mine, a  mild-mannered carpenter. I thought I knew him well. Later, when he was no longer in my employment, in a fit of anger, he turned out of his driveway on to the highway, head on into oncoming traffic. The woman in the passenger seat was killed. The couple were friends of ours returning home from a circuit assembly. Too many coincidences. :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

6 minutes ago, cricket246 said:

I supposed it depends on a person's conscience. Reminds me of how some mates choose to stay with oppressive or even violent mates that are eventually won over by the truth and their mate's meek conduct. I can only hope if someone tries to harm me or one of my friends in service that I will just walk away and not retaliate. But I'm not sure if I would want to go back and risk getting hurt again, perhaps write or call? I know Jesus prayed for those killing him and it showed his strength not weakness. Sadly, the nations will even consider us unprotected soon  as we won't retaliate or fight during the coming Great Tribulation.... People will only contine getting more aggressive in service...

Retaliation and reporting a crime are two different things. 

We shouldn't ignore any crimes against us. Help protect the next brother or sister that calls there...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

56 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Retaliation and reporting a crime are two different things. 

We shouldn't ignore any crimes against us. Help protect the next brother or sister that calls there...

Yeah, if someone attacks me out in service, I’m droppin’ a dime (snitching) :lol:

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

10 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

Yeah, if someone attacks me out in service, I’m droppin’ a dime (snitching) :lol:

To the proper authorities and the brothers. We need to do everything possible to protect our family.

Personally I'd hate to be the next one to knock on someone's door after they told the last JW they would shoot the next one that knocks...:eek:

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

To the proper authorities and the brothers. We need to do everything possible to protect our family.

Personally I'd hate to be the next one to knock on someone's door after they told the last JW they would shoot the next one that knocks...:eek:

I’m sure it could happen too. Here locally, there was a guy who shot a man going door to door selling selling electricity because he either had a no trespassing sign or no soliciting sign and he didn’t see it. I’ve had someone pull a gun out in service and know others who’ve had the same experience.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, Brother Jack said:

I’m sure it could happen too. Here locally, there was a guy who shot a man going door to door selling selling electricity because he either had a no trespassing sign or no soliciting sign and he didn’t see it. I’ve had someone pull a gun out in service and know others who’ve had the same experience.

So Sorry Jack but what is selling electricity?

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Wouldn't that threat be noted on the Do Not Call slip? :wacko:

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

3 hours ago, Old said:

The door was opened I was confronted by a householder holding an automatic pistol in his hand; he did not point it at me, made no threatening gesture, but politely told me he wasn’t interested.

Our territory has some pretty 'off the beaten path' homes, we have had a couple of encounters with armed citizens. 

I was working with a visiting Brother,  we were in the last few days of the Memorial invitation and he came up from the flatlands to help us finish our territory. 

I was driving my Jeep, I stopped at the end of the driveway and Brother City and I started to go to the door.  We were about 30feet from the door when we heard a gunshot. We both froze and started looking around to see what was up and I saw someone on the far side of the house that had a gun in his hand,  aiming at something I couldn't see and just then he fired again. 

As we were not the object of his interest I proceeded on up the drive to him. Abdur, my service partner, was staying exactly behind me,  I learned later that he was petrified and was using me as cover..lol

After the man had fired his 3rd shot he noticed us approaching and put his gun down and took off his earmuffs. 

I went ahead and offered him the invitation and then we talked a little bit about his gun(a sweet .45 Colt SAA) and his reloading efforts(a common interest)and then we parted on good terms. I went back a number of times in the next couple of years but never got to talk to him again. 

My friend Brother Abdur from the City remembers this to me almost every time we meet.  It's been a couple of years since I've seen him,  I should shoot him an email. ..

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

So Sorry Jack but what is selling electricity?

I meant that the guy worked for an electricity provider and was selling plans.

23 minutes ago, Dove said:

For those who follow the "never retaliate to anything" rule, noting a violent reaction counts as "retaliation".

Even if the incident is listed, you also get the occasional territory servant who decides to purge all the DNC entries, which leads to a fun time in field service for the next year or so.

If I was ever literally threatened by someone I would go to the elders and notify them then go from there. I actually was out in service at seldom worked territory and was going to a house that hadn't been worked in a year or more. They said beware the lady chased the brothers off with a broom. But for some reason I didn't feel any worry and the woman was kind, even took the magazines. I felt it had been long enough, who knew if the same person even lived there.

I agree we should never disregard Jehovah's direction, and I don't directly know the Governing Body's stand on how to deal with violent situations in the ministry as I've never encountered someone pointing a gun at me, tried to hit me, etc. If I had personally been to a door and knew they were a possible threat I would notify whoever was with me. I'm overly cautious because if I knew someone was convicted of a violent crime or even of attempted assault/pedophilia, I would approach with caution without them even giving me a reason, better to be prepared for what might happen. ^_^ I always write down do not calls on notes with my territory card.

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

54 minutes ago, Dove said:

If everything happens the way it is supposed to, yes.

1 hour ago, Stavro said:

For those who follow the "never retaliate to anything" rule, noting a violent reaction counts as "retaliation".

Seems like taking seriously a death threat isn't retaliation any more than respecting their 'do not trespass' signs..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

If everything happens the way it is supposed to, yes.

When I was territory assistance I printed a bunch of updated maps, the template that had been used was a real estate type and just showed parcels and lot boundaries. It was hard at times to even know where the streets were, you could see the corridor,  but no streets.

I got on map quest and printed all the territory,  then took a couple of days to get them all borders and streets names.

I also would put a red asterisk on a child molesters address and write 'Elders Only'..on the map. I made sure that any DNC or other info that was pertinent was easily noticed,  not hidden on the back.