JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Woman in Kent UK attacks 3 Jehovah’s Witnesses at the door

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2207 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Be aware that the reactions our persons are mostly not personal. We come to people's doorsteps unquestioned. And behind every door unraveld a complete story that we're not aware of. 

And we interrupt them with our message. 

Behind these doors people live in violent households, abuse, anger, mentall illness, overstrain and the list can go on and on.

We must not bother to much on what could happen to us, but in this case we must put our complete trust to Jehovah. If we focus to much on what could happen, then fear could overwhelm us and scare us to go out in field service. The world is getting worse, and while it is getting worse, our trust must become bigger.

If a particular thing have happened, then take caution. Perhaps the elders notice a specific event and don't send woman to a specific neighbourhood. Or place a note how to act.

When your feeling is not right, listen to it. When something happen, pray, keep calm and go away. Jesus didn't went to several cities, because he knew they were searching for him. The apostles also got teached to shake the sand of their feet if people didn't want to listen to them. And leave town when people got violent.

On 12/02/2018 at 5:55 PM, skipdaflip said:

Be aware that the reactions our persons are mostly not personal. We come to people's doorsteps unquestioned. And behind every door unraveld a complete story that we're not aware of. 

And we interrupt them with our message. 

Yes. Absolutely. About 90% of the campaign is variable, for that reason. We have no idea what's going on behind those doors, but when we knock, we've come to their house, not the other way around.

In fact, you'll think I'm probably a poor witness for saying this, but that's why I prefer cart work. My territory is very apathetic. I get more conversations and placements in a month with the carts than I do in a year going door to door. And we get the abuse too. At least twice a month someone gives us an earful, makes a scene.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:43 AM, Dove said:

Seems like taking seriously a death threat isn't retaliation any more than respecting their 'do not trespass' signs.

Just worth noting that, if you're going to the door, it's usually recognized that you aren't trespassing, regardless of 'do not trespass' signs.

"In reaching this conclusion, the court took an exhaustive look at well over twenty appellate court decisions.  The court recognized that a number of courts have held that the posting of no trespassing signs has the effect of rescinding the invitation to the public to approach one’s front door without a specific invitation.  However, the court noted that a much larger number of cases have held to the contrary.  More importantly, the court found these latter cases better reasoned than the former group of cases." - https://www.radford.edu/content/cj-bulletin/home/june--2017--vol-2--no--2-/do-_no-trespassing-signs-rescind-the-invitation-to-the-public-to.html

That's just a random response to a Google search, maybe elders have given you information more specially relevant to your country or state, but since this forum is read by brothers everywhere, I thought it should be noted that 'do not trespass' signs are usually of no consequence, because the legal view in most places is that a path to the front door constitutes an implicit invitation to members of the public.  To start camping in the garden or parking your car on their drive may be trespassing, but walking to their front door isn't - not here anyway (we were told that at pioneer school, for one thing).

53 minutes ago, Ferb said:

Just worth noting that, if you're going to the door, it's usually recognized that you aren't trespassing, regardless of 'do not trespass' signs.

"In reaching this conclusion, the court took an exhaustive look at well over twenty appellate court decisions.  The court recognized that a number of courts have held that the posting of no trespassing signs has the effect of rescinding the invitation to the public to approach one’s front door without a specific invitation.  However, the court noted that a much larger number of cases have held to the contrary.  More importantly, the court found these latter cases better reasoned than the former group of cases." - https://www.radford.edu/content/cj-bulletin/home/june--2017--vol-2--no--2-/do-_no-trespassing-signs-rescind-the-invitation-to-the-public-to.html

That's just a random response to a Google search, maybe elders have given you information more specially relevant to your country or state, but since this forum is read by brothers everywhere, I thought it should be noted that 'do not trespass' signs are usually of no consequence, because the legal view in most places is that a path to the front door constitutes an implicit invitation to members of the public.  To start camping in the garden or parking your car on their drive may be trespassing, but walking to their front door isn't - not here anyway (we were told that at pioneer school, for one thing).

We have "hillbillies" in our territory that I feel would shoot us... so we don't goto their door.  But I get what you are saying.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:28 PM, tekmantwo said:

I went ahead and offered him the invitation and then we talked a little bit about his gun(a sweet .45 Colt SAA) and his reloading efforts(a common interest)and then we parted on good terms. I went back a number of times in the next couple of years but never got to talk to him again. 

My friend Brother Abdur from the City remembers this to me almost every time we meet.  It's been a couple of years since I've seen him,  I should shoot him an email. ..

I see what you did there... (:P)

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

2 hours ago, Ferb said:

The local brothers have reminded us that the householders perception will determine their actions. 

I have worked a lot of rural territory where there were NT signs posted on trees to obviously keep hunters and campers off the property, I assumed it was perfectly legal to approach the house. The brothers readjusted my thinking.

If the HH believes a No Trespassing sign in their yard or window will keep people from knocking at their door, then it's possible they may become violent or call the police even if you use the sidewalk to approach the door. The current direction from the local BOE is to avoid any homes that have a No Trespassing sign in sight and write a letter and rely on the angels to direct any humble hearts in the house to the truth.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

That is the procedure on those signs in our territories, if they say No Trespassing, believe them.

Many years ago, I was working with the CO's wife and we went to the door with an obvious no trespassing sign posted. When the HH mentioned it and why did we not observe it, the Sister replied, Oh when did you put that there? :(

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

4 hours ago, Ferb said:

We have been instructed not to go to the door when there is a no trespassing sign posted. This direction has changed much over the last 25 years or so, prior to this we were informed that we had a legal right to go to the door, posted or not. US courts have not taken a firm position on this and results vary, but in the majority of cases, the courts now find it is trespassing to go to the door if the property is posted. Our COs have been firm on this since 2014.

Instructions to all BOEs " ...as a general rule, householders have a right to privacy and the right to prohibit anyone, including publishers, from entering their property by posting a “No Trespassing” sign. Publishers need to be aware of the possible consequences of ignoring a “No Trespassing” sign. If publishers call at a home or enter the grounds around a home where a “No Trespassing” sign is posted, they may be subject to criminal prosecution and resulting monetary sanctions and/or incarceration." 

If we persist and legal problems arise we are on our own. :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Here we are very careful about not going to homes where there are no trespassing signs up. It is common for people to have guns and big dogs wandering around on their property. Sometimes the signs are tacked to trees, making it hard to tell whose property we aren't supposed to enter.. They both get letters. 

We have exactly the same instructions regarding...no trespassing signs... they mean....don't go to that

house...period!

People in Montana...especially in our rural territories...mean it when they post a NT sign...you

aren't welcome without an invite....old farmers and ranchers can get very surly.....so we always

move on down the road because...."Discretion is the better part of valor."

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys let set a few things straight here. If someone sics dogs on you or anyone else that is assault with a weapon. Call the police. If anyone threatens you with a gun or even shows you a gun that is a death threat call the police. We do not take abuse or threats lightly and they do need to be reported. 

As far as 3 sisters going to the door that is a matter of safety. I would never let a sister work alone door to door. Also yes it should be a constant practice in these last days. A sister working alone is at risk of attack or abuse. Therefore a lone sister should never work alone. 

Some areas of some cities it is not safe for 2 brothers to work door to door alone. 3 or more will attend at doors for safety reasons. This person in this case could be charged with a hate crime.  That is very serious and would have the same result at antisemitism crimes again muslims hate crimes against any other race or religion. We should not shrink back from taking those steps.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

1 hour ago, Greg Dent said:

Ok guys let set a few things straight here. If someone sics dogs on you or anyone else that is assault with a weapon. Call the police. If anyone threatens you with a gun or even shows you a gun that is a death threat call the police. We do not take abuse or threats lightly and they do need to be reported.

Exactly. Mirrors my feelings almost 100%..

As far as 3 sisters going to the door that is a matter of safety. I would never let a sister work alone door to door. Also yes it should be a constant practice in these last days. A sister working alone is at risk of attack or abuse. Therefore a lone sister should never work alone. 

I  make sure that the HH sees me.  I may not be at the door but I'm close enough. ..

We should not shrink back from taking those steps.

I have seen the attitude that we 'should just take it'..'don't want to offend anyone'..

Nope...

Jehovah doesn't expect us to die just because someone wants us dead...We are not quitters that shrink back in fear...