JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Good Documentaries

Being tired of mainstream TV I'm watching YouTube and Netflix when I watch. My favorite is historical documentaries. 

I just finished Ken Burns: The Roosevelt's, a 7 part doc. It was rather good.

I appreciated some of the 'wise words' that were shared from their experiences. One from Ernest Hemingway - "Everyone is broken by life, but afterward many are strong in the broken places" . I loved that one. And Eleanore had several I appreciated, profound statements. I hope I get to meet her in the NS, that would be something to experience.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80013283

Does anyone else like Doc's? Like to know what you've seen, maybe I can put them on my list.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I'm watching Planet Earth II on Netflix right now.  It's gorgeous!

Also for a bit of fun, "Samurai Gourmet" is great.  Don't watch if you're hungry... but it's a charming little Japanese series, only 15-20 min per episode.  Great looking food, universal themes about retired life.  :)  

Right now I'm watching I'll Have What Phil's Having, episode 2, have seen Somebody Feed Phil (love THAT one!)

And I just saved Find it, Fix it, Flog it-  fixing up  junk people throw away.

I also watch doc's on people going minimal. Some of it's extreme and I'm not interested in that but the overall concept interests me. 

I saw Planet Earth, thought about saving it, maybe I'll go back and do just that.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

13 minutes ago, Hope said:

I'm watching Planet Earth II on Netflix right now.  It's gorgeous!

I'm recording Planet Earth II and Planet Earth:Blue Planet II.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Today, I want to watch the second part of Founders of Europe - Greeks, Romans and Vikings . It's a 3 part doc. I liked the first part. 

I'm particularly interested in the history of the Roman Empire.... some days ago I watched Engineering an Empire with parts about Rome and Carthage. 

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

1 minute ago, Adelin said:

Today, I want to watch the second part of Founders of Europe - Greeks, Romans and Vikings . It's a 3 part doc. I liked the first part. 

I'm particularly interested in the history of the Roman Empire.... some days ago I watched Engineering an Empire with parts about Rome and Carthage. 

I love Roman stuff too. Will add yours to my favorites.

Have seen the documentaries on British Castles, wow are we ever in for it during the resurrection with THOSE people. And the invaders of Britain?? 

15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I'm recording The Zoo about the Bronx Zoo..

Saw that as I was program surfing, it's good huh? I should try it.

16 minutes ago, Adelin said:

Found it on YouTube... Thanks!!

29 minutes ago, Adelin said:

We visited the Carthage ruins a few years ago. Pretty interesting.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Does anyone else like Doc's? Like to know what you've seen, maybe I can put them on my list.

I have a collection of documentaries on blu-ray

Frozen Planet, Africa, Planet earth - both parts, Nature's Great Events, Great Rift, Great Migrations, Enchanted Kingdoms ...and many others...

I love documentaries... watched Roman Empire stuff (8parts?) it was fascinating ...

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

We visited the Carthage ruins a few years ago. Pretty interesting.

I would like if you would tell us more about your visit. I understand the ruins of the punic city are almost inexistant... What did you like the most? Did you visit other cities as well? 

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

1 hour ago, Gregexplore said:

I have a collection of documentaries on blu-ray

Frozen Planet, Africa, Planet earth - both parts, Nature's Great Events, Great Rift, Great Migrations, Enchanted Kingdoms ...and many others...

I love documentaries... watched Roman Empire stuff (8parts?) it was fascinating ...

I do the same Brother.  These Netflix selections are great, as there is nothing on regular TV.  

Last night I saw part 6 of a doc on Jazz - somewhat interesting ... never knew how many of the musicians really did not like Benny Goodman

I also watched a doc a while back about Tom Petty - but then, I lived through part of that and found some of the pictures of his beginning years interesting

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 hours ago, Adelin said:

I would like if you would tell us more about your visit. I understand the ruins of the punic city are almost inexistant... What did you like the most? Did you visit other cities as well? 

We were in Tunis for just a day and Carthage was part of the tour so we were not there long. It was the first time we'd seen any ruins so I was fascinated. 

I love the Weather Channel's Secrets of the Earth and Strangest Weather On Earth, because it tells us about desert hailstorms, ice chimneys, rain bombs and lakes people can walk on and scary haboobs and creepy hoodoos. What On Earth is another favorite. It was suggested Christians don't binge watch, at sometimes I can't help myself with these shows. I fall asleep thinking about seeing some of these phenomena in the New World. 

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

I love the weather channel too. :D  My GD and I make sure we watch a few episodes of The Strangest Weather when she's here, which is fairly often, it's our 'thing'.

I haven't seen Secrets of the Earth though, I'll look it up and put it on my list.

4 hours ago, NSSewer said:

I love the Weather Channel's Secrets of the Earth and Strangest Weather On Earth, because it tells us about desert hailstorms, ice chimneys, rain bombs and lakes people can walk on and scary haboobs and creepy hoodoos. What On Earth is another favorite. It was suggested Christians don't binge watch, at sometimes I can't help myself with these shows. I fall asleep thinking about seeing some of these phenomena in the New World. 

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

I love the weather channel too. :D  My GD and I make sure we watch a few episodes of The Strangest Weather when she's here, which is fairly often, it's our 'thing'.

I haven't seen Secrets of the Earth though, I'll look it up and put it on my list.

Never knew about these shows - will look into it.  Thank you both.  

18 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I also sometimes like to watch the Weather Channel series "Why Planes Crash" - has some interesting information.

Me too! Being an aviator I find them most interesting and fairly accurate. Fun to recreate some of the situations on  MS flight simulator, reviewing in first person the causes leading up to the crash. My favorite: a United Flight 173, a night flight that ran out of fuel and crashed in a Portland OR suburb and most walked away from it, there were ten fatalities. They picked the darkest spot in the city and put the plane into it. 

That was the skillful part, but the captain had to take the blame for running out of fuel.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

7 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

I don't really understand that.

I mean,  sure, the buck stops with him as Pilot but is he expected to double check everybody's work?

I would think checking your fuel is a basic function in the cockpit. It’s different than mechanical failures. :)

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.