JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Good Documentaries

Matt, how did you find this?

I'm 53 minutes in, all I can say is ...sobering. And I'm grateful I was raised poor. I well know the simple life and it's ways, how to live off the land and not be a greedy consumer. MD laughs at the things I do, like cutting the top 1/2 off a plastic milk jug to make a watering can and the bottom 1/2 is the basin for a plant.

The one bright spot I hear from time to time in this vid is how the earth can heal itself. Seeing this also makes me wonder if 1,000 will be long enough. Not really but you get my point. I sure hope Jehovah gets the resurrection going fast, we have so much to learn from those from ancient times, they worked the land right. 

OK, back to it. Thanks Matt.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Has anyone seen the 'Is Genesis History? ' show?

It's on Netflix  (I hope? I looked at many things today)

I didn't check the credits but it looked very much like a  'young earth/creationist' type. 

I didn't finish it but the parts I did see were pretty cool. 

They have some good data and decent evidence but the conclusions they come to are a bit of a stretch. Still a cool watch,  7/10 would watch again. ..or at least finish it..lol

6 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Has anyone seen the 'Is Genesis History? ' show?

It's on Netflix  (I hope? I looked at many things today)

I didn't check the credits but it looked very much like a  'young earth/creationist' type. 

I didn't finish it but the parts I did see were pretty cool. 

They have some good data and decent evidence but the conclusions they come to are a bit of a stretch. Still a cool watch,  7/10 would watch again. ..or at least finish it..lol

I did... and I've already advised this documentary. For me it's in my favourites list with: God's name, patterns of evidence: exodus and this one. This is the favourite list of biblical related documentaries that proves the bible is true. If anyone got same sort off documentaries that I can add to my list, please provide. 

2 hours ago, skipdaflip said:

I did... and I've already advised this documentary. 

I thought I had seen it before,  I did a word search but didn't get it. 

I liked it. 

When I started watching I didn't really know what to expect,  I admit I was a little biased,  I expected some junky satanic propaganda that I would shut off after a few minutes,  I was pleasantly surprised. 

When I was watching,  I was thinking about what my rebuttal would be to whatever I heard,  I found myself saying  'that sounds right' and then a bit later,  'hey, that's my line!'...

Thanks for the names of those other programs,  I will check them out. ..

Making me want to watch some documentaries...

Ok so I don't consider them documentaries in the traditional sense but TED Talks are morsels for the mind.

Tuvan Throat Singing

Taimane Gardner, the Ukulele Virtuoso  or like to say Hard Rock Ukulele.  :D 

Pachelbel's Guitar Hero - If you have 18 minutes you will be blown away at this guys playing!

Close-up card magic with a twist  This guy is funny too.

Enjoy :D  

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

On 2/9/2018 at 9:51 PM, tekmantwo said:

I don't really understand that.

I mean,  sure, the buck stops with him as Pilot but is he expected to double check everybody's work?

Actually yes, at that time you didn't touch a switch or move a control unless given the authority to do so by the captain. The hierarchy of the cockpit dictated that the captain  is not to be interrupted. It was called to his attention that the fuel was dangerously low, his response was the equivalent of 'don't bother me now!' He was the CAPTAIN! I believe it was the third officer that then kept his mouth closed, Captain knows best.

Since that episode, cockpit protocol has been modified and it is now considered a team effort. Most of the old pelicans have long since been retired. For a feel of the cockpit,  read "On the Beak of an Ancient Pelican" or the movie/slash book "The High and The Mighty" by Ernie Gann.

While on the topic of Ernie Gann: he had a way of writing that could lend tense drama to a slightly off normal episode. My son and I were at the airport (KEUG) one morning watching the Goodyear blimp arrive. They were using a clear space off to the side of the main airport, a dirt field that I had wanted to land on, but was afraid to ask. The blimp came in low over a row of hangers, lowering itself to the ground cable crew. All was secured and the passengers got off. Plain and simple, no problem, I had seen it done before.

I did not know that Ernie Ghan was one of the passengers until I read the write up in Flying magazine. I didn't see it that way, but it was apparently the most dangerous approach and landing the blimp had ever made. Winds contrary and at the limit of the blimp. (It was a calm overcast morning.) The ground crew struggled to grab the landing cables to control the blimp. All were saved and Ernie was amazed at the skill both in the cockpit and on the ground that prevented a tragedy.

I wish I had realized how scary that event was. If I had I probably my 10-year-old son and I would not have walked over to our Cessna and gone flying on such a dangerous day. It is all in the telling of the story.

Sorry if I over reminisce. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Just thought of this one that I really enjoyed! Does not seem so, but it's really a documentary.

Plastic Bag | FutureStates | PBS

A discarded plastic bag ventures through a barren America looking for its maker

The Bible is what very few want to hear but it's the message that everyone is looking for (Prov. 1:20-23 & 3:5,6).

8 hours ago, Old said:

Sorry if I over reminisce. :)

I don't think you do, I enjoy hearing your experiences. 

I remember when I lived down in the Californian desert one of the blimps (don't recall the one) got 'stuck' in the area. It was trying to go from Palm Springs, North,towards Riverside..  It couldn't climb over the mountains and wasn't able to make headway against the wind coming through the pass.

I was working at a weld shop near there and we could see it working at it, it took it 3 days worth of trying before it got through. .

Been down with the flu so I searched for some more documentaries. Here are 3 I found worth watching.

Untold History of United States with Oliver Stone doing commentary. I found it enlightening. It confirmed and expanded on many things I had previously learned.

Stephen Fry:America-  This was a fun one.

The Naked Truth- also very enlightening.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

There was a series on American presidents. One was featured for each episode. We watched them all. Up to Mr. Obama. My husband, not yet in the truth, said after the last episode. “We don’t have a chance”. 

But, both of us like history, and the docudramas. Right now, we are watching, Victoria, and enjoying it. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

4 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

There was a series on American presidents. One was featured for each episode. We watched them all. Up to Mr. Obama. My husband, not yet in the truth, said after the last episode. “We don’t have a chance”. 

But, both of us like history, and the docudramas. Right now, we are watching, Victoria, and enjoying it. 

Gertrude and I really enjoyed VICTORIA, so much so that I bought Penguin Books'  "Victoria, A Life."  I haven't got to read it yet. Gertrude won't let go, and she hasn't read book book for years. She says it covers everything seen in the series. Victoria: A Life

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

We have had Victoria on TV over here. Netflix Australia doesn't have the vast selection you guys in the states but I have just started watching the second series of The Crown about Elizabeth II reign. It begins in series one with the abdication of Edward when he married Mrs Simpson and his younger brother George having to take the throne.  Then his death not long after Elizabeth married Phillip followed by her coronation.  I am quite enjoying it.  Not a documentary and very watchable. :) 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

14 hours ago, SoCal4me2 said:

One movie on Netflix- "The Wreck of the Unbelievable". Unexpected treasure of Lost art oolletion of a nea mythical Roman art collectior from about the first century

Sooooo adding this to my list

On 18/02/2018 at 2:44 PM, Thomas Walker said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU

Home.

Seriously. Just watch it.

I watched this yesterday afternoon at your behest.  Thank you for sharing. It was fascinating. It explained the how of things I only had a vague knowledge about and I now have more understanding about global warming.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

17 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Sooooo adding this to my list

Soooo, now the Egg on Face declaration: The movie comes across so plausible from start to finish with the show of the treasures in Venice in 2017! I was not interested in researching further as the movie seem to round everything up nicely, but just a couple minutes ago I thought I would look and see if the items were on display elsewhere, and there it is a big article about the "mockumentary" and how it cost millions for this artist to produce!! Wow! It's still worth seeing, but I actually imagine that the story behind the story is probably more interesting. My apologies to all.

13 hours ago, SoCal4me2 said:

Soooo, now the Egg on Face declaration: The movie comes across so plausible from start to finish with the show of the treasures in Venice in 2017! I was not interested in researching further as the movie seem to round everything up nicely, but just a couple minutes ago I thought I would look and see if the items were on display elsewhere, and there it is a big article about the "mockumentary" and how it cost millions for this artist to produce!! Wow! It's still worth seeing, but I actually imagine that the story behind the story is probably more interesting. My apologies to all.

WHY.jpg.048cbd71042d3962e159b442b42b22b2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I liked 2 part series featured on TVO  "The Shield_Rooted in Stone" about the history of west Parry Sound area -

I lived in that area for several years and recognized many of the landmarks.  May take some hunting to see if still available. I have it on disk. :innocent:

https://tvo.org/documentaries

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: