JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Any good Keto recipes?

13 hours ago, Saffron said:

I live a keto lifestyle and have a recipe for just about everything.. depends on your tastes. ☺

A good cheesecake recipe would be cool.

What sugar substitute do you use?

Edited by njwinans

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

5 hours ago, njwinans said:

What sugar substitute do you use?

I just different ones for different purposes. Spends packs, granular splenda, swerve confectioners "sugar" and Stevia. I also have a collection of davinci sugar free syrup and use those as well. My coffee, for example, is made with davinci chocolate and a dash of heavy cream.. It's so good that when we do letter writing at my house, the friends line up for it. Lol

Super simple cheesecake:

8 oz cream cheese, room temp

1 tsp vanilla

8 oz whipped cream

1/2 cup granular splenda

Beat cream cheese, vanilla and splenda together, fold in whipped cream and refrigerate. 

If you want to get fancy, you can make a crust out of ground pecans, butter, cinnamon, and salt, but I'm too lazy most of the time and only make the cheesecake. 

I don't know much about recipes. I just eat food, real food. I forced myself to go back onto a Nutrition-based Ketogenic diet template from an Autoimmune/Low FODMAPs Paleo not long ago since my cognition and lucidity have been getting worse. Basically, I just took out the carrots and sweet potatos and squash and plantains I had been binging on which were making me stupider and constantly craving food. This time, I'm supplementing more electrolytes on top of the Real Salt and no longer get constipation, cramps, twitches, palpitations.

Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dine like a pauper. Thankfully, I don't have any trouble whatsoever eating the exact same things day in and day out. I enjoy it. It's healthier than 99% of most people's diets. Refined sweets go in my trash can. :> Most of these meals can keep me going a solid 4 hours, if not 6 or more as needed. I don't intermittent fast, but I like the option when I can't eat anyone else' food.

First off, I always keep a pot of bone broth, stock or stew available. Get some grass fed knuckle bones or oxtail from the farmer's market, local farm or a decent butcher... throw them in the (hopefully pressure cooker) pot, add rock salt and spices (I like ginger, turmeric, and italian seasoning), add some vinegar or lime or vitamin c crystals or something to raise the acidity/lower ph so you might actually get a small amount of minerals out of the bones... later you can add whatever vegetables you want like celery. Sip on the broth anytime you need 'something' at the start of the day or in between meals, full of aminos/collagen/proteins and fat.

I usually start off the day with half an avocado (about 12g carbs in a whole avocado... did not realize that before Keto), some kind of preferably grass-fed/pastured meat, a couple spoonfuls of ghee, and cover everything in real salt. Sometimes I'll add a squirt of MCT oil to my tea when I need to be extra-lucid.

If I have any kind of signature snack or dessert recipe, it's about 2-4oz of <frozen> Blueberries, your favored spices (I like vietnamese cinnamon), and a dollop of coconut oil. Mix thoroughly and quick, it will harden and form a sort of frosting. It will be much sweeter if you let the berries thaw a little after applying the coating. Cold prevents the ability to taste sweet, which is why unfrozen ice cream tastes like sugar acid.

For lunch I'll have something like a whole cucumber, a broccoli crown with a couple more tablespoons of ghee, maybe a piece of salmon. Salt everywhere.

Supper is usually a good size glass pyrex dish for baking, filled with greens/salad covered in herbal seasonings, lime, ginger, turmeric, more salt, and plenty of olive oil. Maybe the other half of that avocado as it's already turning brown.

Don't be too strict with yourself, especially about the numbers or thinking that 'more ketones are better!' Your body will become more efficient in processing ketones over time, so if you happen to be testing with pee strips or something and stop seeing them, it just means that after a few weeks your body isn't overproducing/wasting them anymore. As long as you're moving towards your goals and your carb intake is reasonably low (~20-30g day is a good goal, but higher isn't strictly bad unless it's to treat disorders) and you are seeing cognitive or health or weight improvement, you can only refine it to become better for you from there.

Edited by Myew

You are hard core!!.. says the woman who is eating an almond flour pancake for dinner. Lol

I will refer back to this post for ideas myself! Btw, yes the avacado does have carbs, but it also has enough fiber to almost cancel it out.. If you factor that in, that is. Some people don't. My favorite breakfast is bacon, eggs, and avacado. :)

Edited by Saffron

Added sentence

Ah yeah, I forgot about net carbs. I've always struggled to get enough fiber, and I am a volume eater. I don't really even think about carbs now, I just listen to my body as it knows what types of food make me feel good or bad. I don't eat sugar, alcohol, grains, dairy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, eggs. If I'm doing something wrong, I will be dumb and in pain and my adrenal-pituitary-thyroid axis starts acting crazy.

One of the biggest downfalls most people make with Keto is they are too afraid to go heavy on the fat and often go into protein high or still crave carbs often (it can be beneficial to get a little bit extra once a week or so if it helps you feel better). Too much protein can still turn into glucose via gluconeogenesis. You should probably be eating at least 150-200g of fat per day, or around 10-14 Tbps. If you're not able to go at least 4 hours, preferably 6 hours without getting hangry, -you are doing something wrong-. If you have risk factors for things like gallbladder, you need to be careful. Your gallbladder will tell you when you've had too much at once. Stop immediately and take a step back if you are bloating heavily or if it's in pain. Proper chewing/digestion and supplementing HCL, bitters, ox bile or etc may be needed.

Edited by Myew

Once again, you are correct. But with me, I'm not afraid of the fat, I just find it a challenge to eat enough of it. For the most part, I force myself to, then am able to add in intermittent fasting, lasting between 16-20 hours a day. Eventually I get a bit sloppy, like the past couple of days.. not enough fat and I can't stand to go 12 hours without eating and here come the cravings, thus the almond flour pancake tonight. This is actually my third full meal today.. time for a reboot. Back to the coconut oil tomorrow. 

Edited by Saffron

Just confirming, the second paragraph in my last post isn't directed at you Sister Saffron, just another general list of things to pay attention to if you're new to Keto. ^_^

Although I am curious, what do you intermittent fast for? Also, do you have any vegetable dishes that you like? I need to implement more veggies, particularly bulk/fiber.

PS Keto Scriptures :>
(Nehemiah 8:10) He said to them: “Go, eat the choice things (*fatty things) and drink what is sweet, and send portions of food to those who have nothing prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord, and do not feel sad, for the joy of Jehovah is your stronghold.”

(Job 29:4, 6) When I was in my prime, When God’s friendship was felt in my tent, When my steps were awash in butter, And the rocks poured out streams of oil for me.
(Isaiah 30:23) And he will give the rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the bread that the ground produces will be abundant and rich. (*fat and well-oiled) In that day your livestock will graze in spacious pastures.
(Habakkuk 1:16) That is why he offers sacrifices to his dragnet And makes sacrifices to his fishing net; For by them his portion is rich, (*well-oiled) And his food is choice.

Keto scriptures. LOL 

Reminders are good. I have been on keto off and on for a long time, so sometimes It's good to get back to basics. 

Intermittent fasting is convenient.. no dishes to wash, more time to do other things besides cooking. I feel good while fasting. My health conditions are better. The other thing is that it helps me keep my weight down.. I have a really slow metabolism, plus being an artist does not help. I'm sure I don't burn too many calories doing that. :D

Veggies. I love them, but nobody I know on the spectrum does. Don't know if you have any textural issues or anything, but here is my favorite easy thing to do with vegetables.. I buy a bag of frozen broccoli and a bag of mixed veggies and dump them on a tray. They get covered with olive oil and pats of butter and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder- whatever you like, and baked at around 400 for 45 minutes or so. Beautiful things happen.. moisture evaporates, leaving behind veggies and oil. Bits of the veggies carmalize. They are so delicious that I can go over my carbs for the day easily on this. 

My other weakness seems to be loaded mashed potatoes made from cauliflower. I also really like zuchinni fries and fritters. 

I have an overactive metabolism, wanna trade? The main reason I don't normally fast is because it will send me into adrenal fatigue. I had plans to do several very drastic fasts for treating severe disorders, but.. I'm glad I decided to take the safer route of healing while eating. I'm quite sedentary myself, but I have no need to lose weight. 3 years ago when I had been making a few better choices but before I went paleo/autoimmune, I was only 110lbs. Paleo/AIP got me up to 125 after I went hard on carbs, but the weight didn't help me stay warm.. so Keto is just fine as eating fat tends to push you toward your optimal weight, high or low.

I used to eat frozen broccoli, but cut it out due to FODMAPS issues. I did eat many mixed frozen veggie for a long while but didn't seem to tolerate them too well, perhaps due to the blanching / flash steaming process. Now, after a year of being completely strict on autoimmune, I can seem to digest fresh steamed Broccoli okay again, which was kind of necessary for me to have more sustainable Keto meals. I do need to try Cauliflower again too. Zuchini is one I've never really gotten into, but I should try them more since I'm fine with Cucumber. Most people don't know that you can change your epigenetics and taste buds, as a kid I couldn't stand any bitter green veg. I have no problems with most textures except for slimy mucilaginous types, which is fine since they tend to increase autoimmune inflammation anyway. My mom likes to roast carrots and parsnips in oil and spices similarly to make 'fries'. They are amazing, but, #1 too much work for me to bother vs steaming and #2 carbs make me derp. :<

I've been looking through this old thread on Low Carb diets, a few mentions of Keto and some recipes so far... Meatzza looks interesting. Ground beef and egg for pizza crust.

4 hours ago, Saffron said:

My favorite breakfast is bacon, eggs, and avacado.

Isn't that every meal?  :) 

3 hours ago, Saffron said:

almond flour pancake tonight.

Have you tried Carbquik?

1 hour ago, Myew said:

Keto Scriptures :>

AWESOME!

58 minutes ago, Saffron said:

loaded mashed potatoes made from cauliflower.

Recipe???

14 minutes ago, Myew said:

carbs make me derp. :<

That stinks.  I just gain weight.

I did the HCG diet too (500-800 calories a day) and it helped me lose about 110# in 6 months.  I have cycled through HCG, keto, Master Cleanse and "Normal" eating.  HCG for weight loss, Master Cleanse to... clean me out (and help stabilize my weight), and keto so I can eat good and... well just eat good.  hahaha

We tried this HCG Stage 3 recipe for cheesecake and it is amazing.  No flour or sugar.   I'll write it here soon.

Have you tried Keto Coffee?  My recipe is 4 tbs of coconut oil (or mct oil), 4 tbs unsalted butter (or ghee), very hot coffee and your choice of sweetener.  Blend it till there is a nice frothy head, pour and enjoy.  I don't have the macros for it but it is easy to figure out and it is a great way, imo, to get those fat macro #s up.

9 hours ago, Myew said:

have an overactive metabolism, wanna trade?

Are you offering me the opportunity to eat what I want while being slim and trim? Just in time for summer? Hmmmm.. let me think about that. Lol Seriously, I would love it. As of now, I walk past a bakery and gain weight. Too many carbs on a low carb diet, I will gain weight. I have to eat very clean and only indulge in carbquick and and stuff like that on rare occasion.. I doubt many people are this sensitive, so it may not matter for others. 

8 hours ago, njwinans said:

Recipe???

This is hard because I just cook without measuring things, but the cauliflower is steamed, thrown in a bullet blender with chicken base, seasonings, butter, a little cream cheese to thicken. Serve by melting a bit of cheddar on top, top with sour cream and chives.. If you serve this next to a steak, you will not be missing that loaded baked potato one bit. :)

8 hours ago, njwinans said:

Have you tried Keto Coffee?

It was hard to choke that down.. but you have inspired me to make some fat bombs today. Saw on Instagram last night that someone had an oatmeal cookie fat bomb. I am going to figure that recipe out today. 

2 minutes ago, Saffron said:

Saw on Instagram last night that someone had an oatmeal cookie fat bomb. I am going to figure that recipe out today. 

Let me know about it too, plz.

Just nailed it on the first try.. a highly unusual occurrence. Hahaa

Oatmeal Cookie Fat Bombs

Heaping cup of pecans- grind to a flour consistency in the food processor. Add 3 tablespoons of Swerve confectioners sugar, about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, half a stick of softened butter, and 1/4 cup melted coconut oil. I also added in a sprinkle of Himalayan sea salt, but you don't have to.. Blend all of the above and put into some kind of mold to refrigerate. 

I am using a mini silicone mold that holds 24 fat bombs. This recipe filled up 21 for me and is so delicious. May be my new favorite!

**I get Swerve off of Amazon. If you don't have it, second best may be granular splenda. Next time I make these, I'm going to add in a dash of vanilla extract to see if they come out even better**

I've never truly done bulletproof or keto coffee, as stimulants and seeds make me physically and mentally sick. I've done ghee and coconut/mct oil in various herbal or spice teas.

I actually still have a $20 jar of grade b maple syrup that's been sitting in my fridge for 3 years untouched from when I was planning the 'Master Cleanse'... At an emaciated 110lbs and much sicker than I am now, I think it would've been very dangerous from a malnutrition & weight perspective. Your body needs several electrolytes, minerals, and nutrients to be able to detoxify safely, or it will much more readily cannibalize minerals from your bones and proteins from your muscles, etc.

12 hours ago, Saffron said:

I get Swerve off of Amazon.

Best there is.  :) 

9 hours ago, Myew said:

still have a $20 jar of grade b maple syrup that's been sitting in my fridge for 3 years untouched

We have a gallon that is in the fridge too but we plan on do the cleansing fast 4 times a year and for a 10 day period each time... so far we have done it twice.  hahaha

I had to look up what this was. https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/

A keto diet is well known for being a low carb diet, where the body produces ketones in the liver to be used as energy. It’s referred to as many different names – ketogenic diet, low carb diet, low carb high fat (LCHF), etc.

When you eat something high in carbs, your body will produce glucose and insulin.

• Glucose is the easiest molecule for your body to convert and use as energy so that it will be chosen over any other energy source.
  • Insulin is produced to process the glucose in your bloodstream by taking it around the body.

Since the glucose is being used as a primary energy, your fats are not needed and are therefore stored. Typically on a normal, higher carbohydrate diet, the body will use glucose as the main form of energy. By lowering the intake of carbs, the body is induced into a state known as ketosis.

9 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I had to look up what this was. https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/

A keto diet is well known for being a low carb diet, where the body produces ketones in the liver to be used as energy. It’s referred to as many different names – ketogenic diet, low carb diet, low carb high fat (LCHF), etc.

When you eat something high in carbs, your body will produce glucose and insulin.

• Glucose is the easiest molecule for your body to convert and use as energy so that it will be chosen over any other energy source.
  • Insulin is produced to process the glucose in your bloodstream by taking it around the body.

Since the glucose is being used as a primary energy, your fats are not needed and are therefore stored. Typically on a normal, higher carbohydrate diet, the body will use glucose as the main form of energy. By lowering the intake of carbs, the body is induced into a state known as ketosis.

Didn't even think of posting the definition.  Boils down to very low carb, very high fat. imo.

Keto is low carb, moderate protein, high fat. It's not a low carb/high protein diet like Atkins. Too much protein can turn right back into Glucose and keep you out of Ketosis. Calorie macroratios are usually around 5%/25%/70%, but you have to learn to tweak them to your body's needs over time. Some people need more carbs, especially athletes or if you're doing crazy exercise like crossfit, but with the right ratios they remain in Ketosis. Think of it this way: Your body (and in particular your brain) can use Glucose or Ketones as a fuel source. When you use Ketones to fuel your synapses, they don't misfire like they do for many on Glucose now. It allows people with Epilepsy to not get seizures and all kinds of brain damage or nerve disorders like Alzheimers, Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis, Traumatic Brain Injury or Concussion, Parkinsons etc to heal.

It's like building a fire, where Glucose is the kindling and Ketones are the logs. Refined gasoline vs diesel, Gas gives more power in short bursts, but is less fuel efficient. The best time to eat carbs is when you need to raise your insulin for rebuilding or refueling your muscles (which are effectively glucose sponges) around cardio and exertion.

1 hour ago, njwinans said:

We have a gallon that is in the fridge too but we plan on do the cleansing fast 4 times a year and for a 10 day period each time... so far we have done it twice.  hahaha

If you don't mind me asking, what was your two's experience? Muscle/Weight loss? Herx reaction or any malnutrition sickness? Any gunk you got out of organs?

Edited by Myew

2 minutes ago, Myew said:

If you don't mind me asking, what was your two's experience? Muscle/Weight loss? Herx reaction or any malnutrition sickness? Any gunk you got out of organs?

I've done it a number of times but these were the first time together.  Headaches are common at first but go away, reasoning is that you are getting rid of toxins.  But to help with that I did salt water flushes for the first few days... those are no fun. Hahaha.  But needed to speed up you healing process. 

Yet once past the first few days your body is rocking.  Clairity. Energy. Some weight loss.  This is not for everyone and I keep close tabs on how well I am doing overall. No diet is worth permanent damage.  I didn't feel weaker but that was me.

Same with my hcg diet experience, big weight loss but not hungry too much.  I like to snack and eat late.  Hahaha... that is no good for any diet. Hcg diet is where you eat 500 calories a day and loose abound a # a day.  Controversial but if done right, very effective.  I did lose some muscle but that was because I didn't need them any more because I lost that weight.

I have tried all these successfully and recommend others to do your research and as a doctor, I did and they did physicals on me 3 times and we're in disbelief.   I went from size 52 waist to 36 in 6 months! I wrote about it in another forum. Tbh I am at a 42 waist now and going back down.  I was severely depressed for 2 years and I gained 50#.

Hope I answered your questions. 

On 2/16/2018 at 6:18 PM, njwinans said:

My wife and I are on the ketogenic diet right now and would love to hear if there are any with good recipes.  We like to switch up diets so we don't get bored with just one.:thumbsup:

I really want to start a Keto diet...just having a hard time getting there. I did find one site that I really like and enjoy the couples commentary.  It's ketoconnect.net. They have some pretty neat recipes there.  Check them out.  

12 hours ago, njwinans said:

Same with my hcg diet experience,

Some people get great results from this. At one time I was really interested, but ultimately couldn't due to one of my health problems. 

12 hours ago, njwinans said:

I was severely depressed for 2 years and I gained 50#.

Been there, done that! Years ago, after through many problems, I ended up gaining weight.. It's literally like I woke up fat. I was so depressed that I was picking off of my kids plates, not caring about carbs or calories, not moving, just in a total fog.  When I realized one day how much I let myself go, I was mortified. That was the beginning of my diet. Atkins type of low carb did not work, so keto it was and still is. :)

33 minutes ago, CouveBro said:

It's ketoconnect.net.

I love watching their youtube videos too!

27 minutes ago, Saffron said:

just in a total fog

Yep.  I'm on good meds which has made the difference.  And like you, I woke up one day fat.  I was at 370#s!  hahaha.  No matter I'm better and it is good to hear you are doing better too.  We try to stay close to the keto regiment but those carbs are everywhere.:o