JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watching the monthly broadcasting on your TV

My parents have thought of buying a new TV set with smarttv capabilities with the only purpose of watching the monthly broadcasting on their tv. They are tired of watching it on their 7-inch tablets.

Apart from being expensive, I am not sure a smarttv is the best solution. I mean, I have a smarttv and if I want to watch the broadcasting I have to open the browser, type tv.jw.org, select the video and play, all of that with an extremely clumsy remote control. Simply typing jw.jw.org takes you a good while. So much, that we prefer to download the files in our computer and play them on the tv from a USB stick.

So I'd like to know which methods have worked well for you, taking into account that my parents are not very skilled in technology. I have thought of two scenarios:

- Buy one of those devices that add smart capabilities to your tv. But I was thinking that maybe there's an app or some trick to make an icon of JW Broadcasting so that they only need to click on it and play the video.

- Buy some device that allows them to stream the video from their Android tablet to their tv. I have absolutely no idea about the different models, their capabilities and how well they work for JW Broadcasting.

Can you offer some suggestions that are very easy to use?

My elderly mum loves her embarrassingly massive smart tv to watch the broadcasts and her movies on Netflix.  My sister set her up so she has the tv.jw.org as a bookmark, which she knows how to open, and watches all the online content.  I'm actually very proud of her embracing technology like that, as she balked for years before finally succumbing to using the tablet.  So, you should be able to do the laborious typing of the address once, and then set it as a favourite easily accessible for your parents too.

My parents have thought of buying a new TV set with smarttv capabilities with the only purpose of watching the monthly broadcasting on their tv. They are tired of watching it on their 7-inch tablets.

Apart from being expensive, I am not sure a smarttv is the best solution. I mean, I have a smarttv and if I want to watch the broadcasting I have to open the browser, type tv.jw.org, select the video and play, all of that with an extremely clumsy remote control. Simply typing jw.jw.org takes you a good while. So much, that we prefer to download the files in our computer and play them on the tv from a USB stick.

So I'd like to know which methods have worked well for you, taking into account that my parents are not very skilled in technology. I have thought of two scenarios:

- Buy one of those devices that add smart capabilities to your tv. But I was thinking that maybe there's an app or some trick to make an icon of JW Broadcasting so that they only need to click on it and play the video.

- Buy some device that allows them to stream the video from their Android tablet to their tv. I have absolutely no idea about the different models, their capabilities and how well they work for JW Broadcasting.

Take a look at ROKU. If you’re using iOS devises Apple TV is fantastic.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Ours here at home is very straightforward, but did require a little set up at first.  We have an LG Smart TV (could look up the model number if needed), and by hooking up to internet either wired or wirelessly, you can go directly to a browser and navigate to JW Broadcast.  You have the ability to create an icon/link to a saved website, so we have one ‘button’ for JW Broadcast, and another to JW.org (it’s nice to be able to hear the bible reading thru the tv too).  So after you’ve set up the icons, it’s just a matter of pulling up the menu, clicking the proper icon and playing the video.

My almost 89-year old mother uses a Roku stick that plugs into a USB slot in her tv, and it may be easy to use too (I say that because every time I go to visit her I have to ask how to make it work :) ).

Carlos, you did not state "Where" your parents live - the exact way to get JW Broadcasting is not the same in all countries and what works here in the US may not work in Spain.

There are "Roku TV's" that have the Roku built in. These are very easy to use - my 83 year old FIL has one.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I agree, a TV with Roku built in would be the easiest. Open the Roku and start the JW TV app.... done.  You do have to set it up the first time but you just "add a channel" and search "JW" and it pops right up. It's one of the most popular apps on Roku.

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

On our Smart TV we bookmark in the browser the websites we want to go to so we don't have to type in each time where we want to go. We have in the bookmarks JW Broadcasting, jw.org, Bible reading for week, workbook, etc. The presentation videos we mirror from our tablets to the tv. For elderly a flash drive might be easier.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

7 hours ago, carlos said:

If they had an XBOX ONE (yes, I have one), then its easy to do it using that!

But A ROKU, if available, its very practical. My mom, who is 70, uses it and the remote is simple with a little bit of training.

Edited by Bob

I use an AppleTV and the JW Broadcasting app. The downside is the AppleTV remote is fairly small and while it is still simple and easy to use it does tend to get lost easier. The other thing is that the JW Broadcasting app does need a sufficient amount of bandwidth or you will never make it through the whole video. I wish they had included a download video option. That is the fault of Apple and not our Brothers.

I use a Roku box with my smart TV, but it does require a few (3 steps) i.e. change the Input using the TV remote, select Roku and with the Roku remote, select JW.ORG.

Quite easy once you get used to it..and I'm older than Bob's Mom..:D

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

3 minutes ago, Brother Arellano said:

I use an AppleTV and the JW Broadcasting app. The downside is the AppleTV remote is fairly small and while it is still simple and easy to use it does tend to get lost easier. The other thing is that the JW Broadcasting app does need a sufficient amount of bandwidth or you will never make it through the whole video. I wish they had included a download video option. That is the fault of Apple and not our Brothers.

I agree  about the remote being fairly small, and I might add very slippery..harder for older ones whose hands tend to be drier..:uhhuh:

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

If they already have an Android tablet, and they aren't interested in anything besides JW Broadcasting, a Chromecast would probably be the easiest/cheapest way to go. To play the video to their TV, they would switch their TV input to the Chromecast (normally one button press on the remote), then press the Scream icon at the bottom right of the video.

Stream.PNG.ac36e0f9cd4b606b6a159c4ea9a9484f.PNG

All the video controls, navigation, etc will be done from the tablet itself, which they presumably know how to use already, so they won't have to deal with any new controls or menus at all.

10 hours ago, carlos said:

that we prefer to download the files in our computer and play them on the tv from a USB stick.

Thats what I do...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Stavro said:

press the Scream icon 

:oops:Maybe it's just me but seeing these kind of  'tragic typos' just crack me up...:lol1:..

For the topic: we have a pretty smart TV, it knows when not to argue with me and has lived a nice life, so far...:hammer:

I found the Roku #2 on sale and grabbed one, it is very easy to use and has been a great deal for us. All I had to do was add the JW channel to the list of channels displayed. It was pretty easy and straightforward. ..

Not wanting to promote any particular brand, but my Samsung phone links straight to my Samsung TV. I'm sure other brands may well do the same. Check for some kind of screen mirror etc on current tablet, you might already be half way there ... I just turn on screen share on my phone - the TV automatically senses it - and Voilà (or walla) whatever now on phone screen, also on TV screen...
(You do need a fair amount of cell data if you do this a lot...)

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

If they are using tablets already a Chromecast is not that much harder. Once setup they will have two options

When using Chrome there is a built in cast button

The second is mirror screen 

The tablet simply tellls the Chromecast what to play so does not necessarily to be powerful.

Appreciate the techie replies. We have a smart samsung tv with Roku. Only problem is the wi-if doesn’t come in very strong, so I have an Ethernet cable to plug in to TV and then to the router, but it’s very unattrative. SOOOO, we ended up just buying a larger iPad for viewing the video’s from the app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I use Roku the first one manufactured and it is plugged into a slot on the back of the TV.

Works great.

I did lose the remote once and ordered another one and found the first one about the same time the second one came!  LOL

I have been really careful not to lose any of them now.

On 2/21/2018 at 12:58 PM, Stavro said:

If they already have an Android tablet, and they aren't interested in anything besides JW Broadcasting, a Chromecast would probably be the easiest/cheapest way to go. To play the video to their TV, they would switch their TV input to the Chromecast (normally one button press on the remote), then press the Scream icon at the bottom right of the video.

Stream.PNG.ac36e0f9cd4b606b6a159c4ea9a9484f.PNG

All the video controls, navigation, etc will be done from the tablet itself, which they presumably know how to use already, so they won't have to deal with any new controls or menus at all.

I second this. I've been using this method for years. In addition, you can 'cast' from your desktop computer too (if you use the Chrome Browser). So they have an option if they're more comfortablle with one of the other.