JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watching the monthly broadcasting on your TV

15 minutes ago, Stavro said:

That completely depends on the manufacturer. The cheaper manufacturers don't allow updates at all, and the more expensive manufacturers will allow updates for two or three years (the date should be listed on the manufacturer's website), after which the updates will be discontinued.

Personally, I cannot see the benefit of buying a $600 TV that provides zero extra functionality over a $30 Chromecast.

Oh well. I have both. So if it happens as you say it does I can always just use my portable one.  I didn't even know about built in CC till I was reviewing TV's and as this one is a 4K smart TV which is 8" bigger and only cost me AUD33 more than my old standard flat screen one did 7.5 years ago, I'm not going to complain if Chromecast stops updating in a few years time. The CC was just an extra benefit,  I would have bought this TV regardless.

And maybe your situation in the US is different to ours in Oz, and anywhere else in the world.  You cannot assume that just because it's that way in your country it's going to be the same all over the world. :)

Anyhoo,  who knows what the situation in the world is going to be at that time ... TV might not even be a thing.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

51 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

I didn't even know about built in CC till I was reviewing TV's and as this one is a 4K smart TV which is 8" bigger and only cost me AUD33 more than my old standard flat screen one did 7.5 years ago.

What TV is it?

The some Roku's have a casting feature built in.

Edited by njwinans

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

We have a LG smart tv with Roku functionality but never use it.  Our computer tower is hooked up to the tv, and when the internet is hooked up, it's connected to the tower as well.  I switch input from tv to computer and watch from the internet on my tv screen.  

We use Kodi, with an add on called Exodus.  It's an app that's installed on the PC, rather than buying a device such as Roku (our previous tv was not a smart tv, but we had the same configuration as above).   

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

On 21/02/2018 at 5:31 PM, skipdaflip said:

You can create a media player with kodi and a raspberry-pi and install the jw-org video add-on and place it on the main page as favourite.

I quick start anything within this plugin from my ipad app (constellation).

image.png.edb63e31d48c036f5f6b182f61dd1888.png

I recently got a pi with JRiver media centre installed which I use for music streaming from a hdd via usb to my dac. It streams everything from mp3, flac 16/44.1, up to 24/192 and dsd128.

The idea of a pi with Kodi for movies and video is very interesting. Can you point me anywhere for detailed instructions?

My hifi and tv systems are discrete and in different rooms, and it isn't feasible to use my existing pi.

1 hour ago, bohemian said:

I recently got a pi with JRiver media centre installed which I use for music streaming from a hdd via usb to my dac. It streams everything from mp3, flac 16/44.1, up to 24/192 and dsd128.

The idea of a pi with Kodi for movies and video is very interesting. Can you point me anywhere for detailed instructions?

My hifi and tv systems are discrete and in different rooms, and it isn't feasible to use my existing pi.

It’s been a while ago that my intel nuc has been installed with kodi. 

For the pi you can use sites like:

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Raspberry_Pi

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/kodi/README.md

it works perfect, especialy the jw.org add-on...

Well, to reply my own question in case it helps someone else. The point was to find the easiest method to watch the monthly broadcasting on a non-smart tv for some tech-challenged friends.

I finally went for the Chromecast because that will allow them to play any other videos too. Besides, I was not sure that the Jw Broadcasting Roku channel worked in Spain. The Chromecast installation was very simple and troubleless. You need to connect it to an HDMI input in your tv and it will show the instructions on screen. You install a Google app in your phone, give a name to the Chromecast, and you're ready to go. Using it is extremely simple. Just use Chrome to play the broadcasting from tv.jw.org (or any video from any other site) and then click the Chromecast button. The video will immediately be displayed on your tv.

Then a friend told me he has a Roku 2 device that he doesn't use and I borrowed it from him. The installation is equally easy. The biggest annoyance was having to enter the long wifi password using the remote, but you do that just the first time. There appears a menu with lots of apps you can install. Go to Religion an dthe first one is JW Broadcasting. Just click on it to install it, and in a few seconds it will appear in your Home menu. Just click on the icon and the website appears. So I can confirm that JW Broadcasting under Roku works perfectly in Spain, both in English and Spanish.

Both devices are very easy to set up and to use. Roku has its own remote while with Chromecast your tablet or phone is the remote.

Thank you very much to all the friends who have sent their suggestions. They have been very useful. Thanks! :)

Does anyone get the meetings sent to their PC? My question is about being able to send them from the computer to the TV. I have a smart TV and Roku but the Roku doesn't do that.

I had an Apple TV but didn't use it much so gave it away; now I'm learning that it was what would have done this by bringing the meeting up on my Ipad and then mirroring it to my TV. But the prices for it are 149.00 and 199.00 right now.

So my question is if the less expensive Chromecast would do the same thing as the Apple TV? Would it mirror from the tablet, or cast from the computer?

Thanks..:)

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

8 hours ago, Dove said:

So my question is if the less expensive Chromecast would do the same thing as the Apple TV? Would it mirror from the tablet, or cast from the computer?

Yes, the screen mirroring function of the Chromecast is practically identical to the Apple TV, and will work with all major devices (iPad, Android, PC).

59 minutes ago, Stavro said:

Yes, the screen mirroring function of the Chromecast is practically identical to the Apple TV, and will work with all major devices (iPad, Android, PC).

Thank you! :)

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

11 hours ago, Dove said:

Does anyone get the meetings sent to their PC? My question is about being able to send them from the computer to the TV. I have a smart TV and Roku but the Roku doesn't do that.

I had an Apple TV but didn't use it much so gave it away; now I'm learning that it was what would have done this by bringing the meeting up on my Ipad and then mirroring it to my TV. But the prices for it are 149.00 and 199.00 right now.

If your TV is smart enough, you can use the screen mirroring feature without the need for a Chromecast. Just mirror straight from your device to the TV.  Both devices need to be on the same network. Your pc must also be able to screen mirror. 

If it can't, then the Chromecast is an excellent choice.  

2 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

If your TV is smart enough, you can use the screen mirroring feature without the need for a Chromecast. Just mirror straight from your device to the TV.  Both devices need to be on the same network. Your pc must also be able to screen mirror. 

If it can't, then the Chromecast is an excellent choice.  

Not sure about the pc being able to screen mirror, but I am able to bring up the same thing from the TV to the Ipad with a program called Zoom. It's getting it to the TV from the Ipad is what I need to do. I also have the Zoom program on the Ipad but it still needs something to bridge the tablet to the TV. 

I will try your idea without going through the other things before I buy anything...thank you..

8 hours ago, carlos said:

Sandra, if you use Chrome in your PC or your phone you can send the videos to your Chromecast without even using screen-mirroring.

That's even better Carlos, I will certainly try that first. Thank you so much...:D

9 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

If your TV is Smarter you will have it connected to Wi-Fi and open browser on TV and just go to tv.jw.org.... No need for device. emoji6.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes, I do that with the Roku for watching the broadcasting. What I am trying to do now is send the local meeting that is sent to my pc to my tv. 

I do have Chrome on my computer but I found out that my new tv does not have built in Chromecast so I think I will still need to buy the Chromecast device..

I don't know how to post this under the Topic of Tech Support after it's already been started here..

On 3/14/2018 at 3:00 PM, Dove said:

I do have Chrome on my computer but I found out that my new tv does not have built in Chromecast so I think I will still need to buy the Chromecast device..

Sandra, when I was playing with a Roku the other day I saw there is an app that allows sending videos to your Roku as you would do with a Chromecast. I don't remember its name, but it was in the Roku list of apps.

EDIT: In addition to what Stavro wrote, I just found this website that explains how to use your Roku as a Chromecast without having to install anything:

https://www.howtogeek.com/214943/how-to-use-your-roku-like-a-chromecast/

Edited by carlos

On 3/14/2018 at 3:19 PM, Stavro said:

Depending on what version of Roku and Windows you have, this may already be possible.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/roku-screen-mirroring-tutorial,review-3575.html

I think I can't do that because even though my tv is smart enough, my pc isn't. I think it needs to be at least Windows 8; I have 7..and it doesn't screen mirror..

On 3/15/2018 at 4:43 PM, carlos said:

Sandra, when I was playing with a Roku the other day I saw there is an app that allows sending videos to your Roku as you would do with a Chromecast. I don't remember its name, but it was in the Roku list of apps.

EDIT: In addition to what Stavro wrote, I just found this website that explains how to use your Roku as a Chromecast without having to install anything:

https://www.howtogeek.com/214943/how-to-use-your-roku-like-a-chromecast/

I installed about 3 casting apps but even going to the Cast icon on Chrome on my pc there wasn't any destination to cast to...I'm not technically adept enough to figure all this out so I think the easiest thing to do would be to get the Chromecast device..thanks

• 3 months later...