JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What is your favorite public talk theme?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2200 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Anything to do with science and creation.

The best one is from a brother here - who had a poster type display (a bit like the poster to the movie Armageddon) and he had a timer in it ... counting down and his talk finished right on the last second of the timer. It was very cool.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

3 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Anything to do with science and creation.

The best one is from a brother here - who had a poster type display (a bit like the poster to the movie Armageddon) and he had a timer in it ... counting down and his talk finished right on the last second of the timer. It was very cool.

Wow, i can imagine that. to finish it on time requires great preparation!

Yes! It symbolized the countdown to Armageddon. It was about us looking at different aspects of ourselves in order to meet Jehovah's requirements to get there. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Hi Brother Danni,

Here are a couple of talk outlines that are my favorites.

I may not have the name of the title exactly correct, but maybe you or others can correct the title if they know it, thanks.

"Jehovah - The Grand Creator" 

Like Mandi, I also enjoy talks that deal with science, creation, intelligent design. But the main reason this is 1 of my favorite talks, is actually from the perspective of giving the talk. Years back I wanted to find a talk outline that would help me to do the best job possible of exalting Jehovah, magnifying him in such a way that those in the audience would feel even more "awe" about Jehovah then they did previously! And this was 1 of those talks for me.

"The Truth Can Transform Your Life"

I really like this talk because the whole audience can benefit, whether they are new or an experienced witness. The main reason I like it however is because I feel that it is a talk that is very motivational. My hope when giving this talk is that some, even if just 1 person, would be moved by the talk that they would really want to make certain changes that they had been wanting to make. I love this talk as it brings me joy knowing that some were motivated in some way from the talk to make a transformation in their life or personality. To imitate Jehovah more fully is 1 of our ultimate goals, so I feel this talk outline can help inspire all of us. :)

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Depends on the speaker. I enjoy all our talks, but, some have a gift. Those are the ones I remember. And will even use. One of our elders said they learned we have an attention span of seven minutes. At that time, you need to, “round up the audience “‘ and get their attention back. When this is practiced, you can really tell. We just have some of the finest speakers...yes, a gift in men.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

To give : the 177, "Where can you get help in time of distress"

To listen : Anything Armageddon related. But there was an old talk which setting is in Paradise, where a father is explaining to his child how was life before A-day. That was gooooood. :infatuated:

To listen to:  Armegeddon talks.

To give (some time ago):  Is the Trinity a Scriptural Teaching?  I went at it as let the Bible answer it not me.  Reason with the scriptures.  It was fun.  Soon again.  :)

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

44 minutes ago, airban said:

My favorite is #6 - "The Flood of Noah's Day and You". The outline was recently redone by the branch and it is my favorite one to give.

I just today thought I should work up #68, another one I enjoy: "Do You Harbor Resentment - Or Do You Forgive?".

It was originally #7 (1967).  It was called "The Flood of Noah's Day-Ancient Myth or Prophetic Reality".  It was the first Public Talk I ever gave.  I was an 18 year old Pioneer in Cleveland.  I It was one hour in length.  It was later reduced to 45 minutes and I enjoyed that too.  I have asked our talk coordinator to assign me the new one (we will see).  I have been giving this discourse for 51 years and I still like it.

I didn't realize we had so many kids on the forum. :lol:

6 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

1966?
Did Noah write the outline?
Lol
That is soooooo long ago...

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

My first talk was "Is Science the Savor" or something similar, I too was 18, a fulltime pioneer, but it was in the summer of '57. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 hours ago, Old said:

My first talk was "Is Science the Savor" or something similar, I too was 18, a fulltime pioneer, but it was in the summer of '57. :)

Br. Tony is going to question you about your personal debates with Darwin...:D

Like Br. Aaron

Do You Harbor Resentment or do You Forgive

Heard it in the 90's during a particularly rough time in a previous congregation, it's stuck with me since. We have a local brother who has it now and I love it when he gives it.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

17 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

One of our elders said they learned we have an attention span of seven minutes.

good tip. so every 7 minutes, we discuss short things that get their attention. 

but during visits, the circuit overseers, especially the old ones get our attention every minute. ::o

12 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

I like ones that are a verse-by-verse discussion

yeah, lots of talks have a portion like this. my favorite was serve Jehovah with a joyful heart

on the verse-by-verse portion was being happy like a winning soldier in battle. i think it is also in the book of psalms. (tu)

5 hours ago, Old said:

i forgot the title of my first talk but it's like healing of the nation. somthing like that. hahaha. during that time, i find it hard to prepare talks like that. :lol:

When I was a real little kid sitting around the fire, hearing stories from the old days, they told me you could even make your own talks (no society provided outline). My favourite was on the earthly temple and the spiritual temple, types and anti-types. I think people had more than 7 min attention span back then. We needed it for these deep talks.

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

12 hours ago, Old said:

wow. after reading this i said to myself "this brother is old".. then i saw your Name... yeah right. :lol:

This thread is about "favorite" talks, but my least favorite is still "The Godly View of Sex and Marriage".  I am older now and can give this presentation without too much embarrassment.  I feel empathy for any new studies that come to hear a talk for the first time, if this is the one I deliver.  It seems to be in demand (maybe we need the counsel more these days).  In the middle when the talk directly refers to various unapproved sex acts, I was tempted to trim that down (after all, it had to be reduced from 45 minutes to 30 minutes, right?).  

But I reasoned with myself, if the brothers at headquarters were bold enough to put it in print, I was man enough to say in public.  So I do.  Not my favorite though. 

19 minutes ago, jwhess said:

This thread is about "favorite" talks, but my least favorite is still "The Godly View of Sex and Marriage".  I am older now and can give this presentation without too much embarrassment.  I feel empathy for any new studies that come to hear a talk for the first time, if this is the one I deliver.  It seems to be in demand (maybe we need the counsel more these days).  In the middle when the talk directly refers to various unapproved sex acts, I was tempted to trim that down (after all, it had to be reduced from 45 minutes to 30 minutes, right?).  

But I reasoned with myself, if the brothers at headquarters were bold enough to put it in print, I was man enough to say in public.  So I do.  Not my favorite though. 

The dreaded #13! :crying:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)