JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What is your favorite public talk theme?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2226 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

If it's the one I remember from years ago, I understand. When I later thanked the brother for his talk, I secretly thought, thank you, I think..:lol:

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

11 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

What I remember about talk #13, is so few wanted to do it, that all of a sudden you became popular with other congregations, and you became know as the 'sex talk Bro'

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

...or they hadn't had it in such a long time that every congregation wanted it (well, not really)  :D  

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

10 hours ago, jwhess said:

This thread is about "favorite" talks, but my least favorite is still "The Godly View of Sex and Marriage".  I am older now and can give this presentation without too much embarrassment.  I feel empathy for any new studies that come to hear a talk for the first time, if this is the one I deliver.  It seems to be in demand (maybe we need the counsel more these days).  In the middle when the talk directly refers to various unapproved sex acts, I was tempted to trim that down (after all, it had to be reduced from 45 minutes to 30 minutes, right?).  

But I reasoned with myself, if the brothers at headquarters were bold enough to put it in print, I was man enough to say in public.  So I do.  Not my favorite though. 

i remember when a local elder gave this talk. there are times he paused for a few seconds to make sure that the terminologies he will say are not that vulgar.

There are two talks that fascinated me as a child, and were the first ones I prepared when I began giving talks:

#6 "The Flood of Noah's Day and You"

This talk is packed with interesting details. Everybody always loves it. I don't give it anymore since recently it was completely redone and I haven't had time to prepare it with the new outline.

#41 "Stand still and see the salvation of Jehovah"

This one is about Armageddon. It compares the way the Judeans were saved in Jehoshaphat's time with our role during Armageddon. And it shows that, in order to get there, we need to cultivate obedience and trust.

Two other talks I love:

#72 "Love identifies True Christians"

It considers how love is not the same as perfection, and explains how we need to forgive our brothers and cover their shortcomings with love. I love the point about appreciating the qualities our brother has as a whole, rather than zooming in on a particular defect.

#40 "What the Near Future Holds"

This is the last talk I have prepared and I love love love it. It briefly explains all four events from now to the new world: Peace and security, destruction of Babylon, Gog's attack and Armageddon. It explains why we can be sure those prophecies are reliable, and encourages us to act taking into account what we know about the future. The last part discusses some events that will take place after Armageddon based on Ezekiel 39, with some details I had never studied before. Beautiful.

On 3/5/2018 at 5:37 PM, jwhess said:

my least favorite is still "The Godly View of Sex and Marriage

Not only embarrassing for the speaker, but for the audience also. :lol: But at the same time very necessary. Especially young Christians don't have many chances to hear Bible principles explained that way and to hear a spade called a spade. Most parents are too timid to enter into too much detail.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way 115 about satan's snare. The speaker has a dress up mannequin where he put on each of the miniature helmet, breastplate, belt and everything (as he discusses). cant forget about it. >:D<

On 3/5/2018 at 8:37 AM, jwhess said:

In the middle when the talk directly refers to various unapproved sex acts, I was tempted to trim that down (after all, it had to be reduced from 45 minutes to 30 minutes, right?). 

In the outline I just checked there was no such reference. And the outline says 30 min now :)

On 3/4/2018 at 10:10 AM, airban said:

#68, another one I enjoy: "Do You Harbor Resentment - Or Do You Forgive?".

I just gave that one - that was the hardest one for me to give yet! I'm partial towards doctrinal topics, so doing this was a first for me, and quite difficult to write at that. But, it's very good for illustrations. 

2 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

In the outline I just checked there was no such reference. And the outline says 30 min now :)

I just gave that one - that was the hardest one for me to give yet! I'm partial towards doctrinal topics, so doing this was a first for me, and quite difficult to write at that. But, it's very good for illustrations. 

As I recall, the section Brother Hess is referring to, was in the one-hour outline and had already been adjusted in the 45-minute outline.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 3/5/2018 at 5:15 PM, TonyWenz said:

of a sudden you became popular with other congregations, and you became know as the 'sex talk Bro'

A local elder here should be able to relate to this. He had to do a local needs part that was so graphic that I turned red and he became locally famous. Lol

Edited by Saffron

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)