JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Native animals where you live.

What are the native animals where you live? 

Do you have a funny story?

Habitat facts and interesting bits...?

For added value please feel free to add "story" of your pet..

I'll start by sharing Kangaroo boxing event captured this morning.

Bit sad fact: Kangaroos have average lifespan of 6 years in the wild. However, most individuals do not reach maturity in the wild.:(

Fighting is also common among kangaroos. They fight for drinking spot or for access to estrous females.  During a fight, kangaroos adopt a high standing posture and paw at each other’s head, shoulders, and chests.  Exactly like boxing! Moreover, they will also lock forearms and wrestle and push each other. However, kangaroo fights are frequently brief. 

IMG_0675-002.JPG

IMG_0701-002.JPG

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Kangaroos are on the back of our land. And koalas not far fromus. And we have a family of about 7 Kookaburras living at our place.

No funny stories.. but I saw a Koala for the first time in the wild about 6 months ago. Im 47 and never seen one in the wild before. Guess where it was..... crossing an 8 lined freeway near the queensland border!!!

Everyone braking and pulling to the side of the road watching it pass. It did safely

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kangas live down the road from me, about 2 km away in the hills.  I've seen them on my walks, but you have to be very early/late in the day as they come out at dawn/dusk.  Here are some on the property I stayed on at Margaret River, southern WA.

20161006_172632.thumb.jpg.96257165610876d2af2cb3dfdaff54d9.jpg

And the kookaburras wake me up in the morning.  Very nice! No pics tho.

We don't have anything as exotic as kangaroos - but, native to our area are:

• The Eastern Diamondback - a pit viper species found in the southeastern United States. It is the heaviest though not the longest venomous snake in the Americas and the largest rattlesnake
  • Alligator - The American alligator is the official state reptile of Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Several organizations and products from Florida have been named after the animal.

"Gators" has been the nickname of the University of Florida's sports teams since 1911

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

11 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Kookaburras tried our food without permission LOL ..

One took of with big chicken bone!

IMG_0171-001.JPG

Their legs/feet look awfully small, compared to the body size. Am I looking at them right? Are they coiled up or something?

Edited by digital_dreamer

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Raccoons like this: http://i.imgur.com/4lZ8n64.gifv

Squirrels like this: http://i.imgur.com/80NVeLx.gifv

and Seagulls, who rarely (but occasionally) do this: youtube.com/watch?v=29FvQgiRNXc

Love that raccoon video! LOL!

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

36 minutes ago, digital_dreamer said:

Their legs/feet look awfully small, compared to the body size. Am I looking at them right? Are they coiled up or something?

They are small but appear to be very strong!

The second photo exposes legs a little bit more...

Besides the beak, the second most important structural design would be its feet. Kookaburras may spend lots of hours on the branch of a tree, waiting for their prey as it is not always there for them, and so they need very strong feet to allow them to stand that long. Due to the fact that their legs are quite skinny and therefore not very strong, they have their toes stuck together to strengthen their feet so that they can hold on tight.

IMG_9318-001.JPG

IMG_9307.JPG

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

13 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

California still has a few old Hippies...does that count?

As pets? LOL :whistling:

16 minutes ago, rocket said:

In Oregon we have Elk, white tail dear, Black Bear, Cougar, Coyote, Fox and a few rattle snakes. The Tufted Puffin is probably the most interesting sea bird and the hardest to photograph in the wild.

Do you have any photos ... ?

35 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

As pets? LOL :whistling:

Do you have any photos ... ?

I don't have any off hand in the wild but I took these Tufted Puffin's this past Wednesday at a Sea Life Aviary not far from home.

20180314_151217.jpg

The Puffin is an interesting bird in that it digs caves for its nest at the top of offshore islands or sea stacks. One of the mates guards the nest and its young while the other goes for food. They are quite vulnerable to eagles and hawks.

20180314_151224.jpg

There are quite a number of different sea birds in my Oregon Coast video but it is rather boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMVEq4G9LOk

Edited by rocket

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

4 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Yep...I watched King Kong movie ..:lol2:

Copy from google searching...

What is the difference between Gorilla and Orang-utan?

• Orang-utan lives in Southeast Asian islands while gorillas live in African mainland.

• Orang-utan is the largest arboreal primate whereas gorilla is the largest among all the primates.

• Gorilla is black in coloration, whereas Orang-utan is reddish brown.

• Orang-utan is mostly towards arboreal species, while gorilla is mostly towards terrestrial.

• Gorilla has prominent forehead, but Orang-utan has a prominent face.

• Both have long arms, but Orang-utan has longer arms compared to the legs than in gorilla.

• Lifespan is considerably longer in gorillas than in Orang-utans

In my opinion, orang utan is cuter than gorilla... :)

Kong is gorilla and he is not cute... :mellow2:

:bouncing: