JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Murder on the Orient Express

I watched this movie with my wife yesterday. I liked the acting and screenplay a lot, and the movie was set up like a classic Agatha Christie with not too many modern additions or artistic freedoms except for a bit of racial diversity.

I suppose most of you will know the story from the book or an earlier movie adaptation.

The movie was very touching, especially towards the end, to the point that I had tears in my eyes. The story illustrates how one individual with one act can cause so much suffering as to destroy the lives of so many different people. It obviously revolves around the usual topic of seeking revenge for the sake of closure for such a despicable act, from a very human standpoint.

In any case, it made me think a lot about how humans despise wicked acts in the depths of their heart, seek justice and ways of dealing out justice, and yet they are not able to really fix and undo the terrible things that have been done.

I was very sad after watching the film, but I have to say it made me all the more happy to have the truth and to know Jehovah will bring supreme justice to our lives at some point and even undo all the suffering that has been inflicted.

I am looking forward to seeing this movie.

As one who thoroughly enjoyed the portrayal of Poirot by David Suchet - I am a little apprehensive as to how I will like someone else in that role but I am willing to see this new rendition.

Glad to hear that Kenneth Branagh does a good job.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

7 minutes ago, Qapla said:

As one who thoroughly enjoyed the portrayal of Poirot by David Suchet - I am a little apprehensive as to how I will like someone else in that role but I am willing to see this new rendition.

The problem with this movie is that the comparison with David Suchet's series and with the 1974 version is unavoidable, and yet they are completely different.

Branagh's Poirot is a very different character. Yet his performance is remarkable as is that of most actors in the movie. And the setting and atmosphere are superb.

Thanks - I am sure there will be differences, after all, David Suchet was a but "unique" in his portrayal of Poirot.

I do have an open mind when watching a remake and am willing to give this one a fair chance.

I thought his mustache was a little over the top :huh: didn't seem believable..to me..

It is not supposed to be ‘believable’. He’s a cartoon character, if you wish. Over the top and larger than life. A kind of superhero, a bit like your average grandpa and more. Which fits in well with the overall super-realistic feel of the film.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I skipped seeing this movie because it only received a favorable review by 57% of movie critics on Rotten Tomatoes website in the U.S. and they're usually right on. The contrast in opinions between yours and theirs, just goes to show how subjective our enjoyment of a movie is. Here is what a few of the critics had to say about it:  :unsure:

"Branagh's retelling of the classic Agatha Christie tale is visually sumptuous yet otherwise inert, a series of what are essentially cameos by performers far too gifted to waste their time like this."

"Contriving somehow both to dawdle and to rush, "Murder on the Orient Express" is handsome, undemanding, and almost wholly bereft of purpose."

"The picture simply goes on too long, and is far too in love with Branagh's performance."

"Despite the hype, [Murder on the Orient Express] ends up being the purest representation of that old and well-known saying: "All talk, no action.""

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

33 minutes ago, minister159 said:

it only received a favorable review by 57% of movie critics on Rotten Tomatoes website in the U.S. and they're usually right on

I have not found US critics to be right on.

Unless there are massive, graphic deaths, vast amounts of undesirable language and sex - they tend to give it less :popcorn: or :snoring: or :nope: or whatever their rating method is

I have enjoyed many movies that were disliked by the critics ........

8 hours ago, minister159 said:

"

"The picture simply goes on too long, and is far too in love with Branagh's performance."

Branagh was also the Director...^_^

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

I have not found US critics to be right on.

Unless there are massive, graphic deaths, vast amounts of undesirable language and sex - they tend to give it less :popcorn: or :snoring: or :nope: or whatever their rating method is

I have enjoyed many movies that were disliked by the critics ........

Like saying the movie goes on for "too long". It is a mere one hour and fourty-five minutes. How much shorter can a movie be? I felt that some things felt rushed, actually, particularly how Poirot deducted a connection to the other case.