JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pope Francis - "There Is No Hell"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2208 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

"...Pope Francis claims that Hell does not exist and that condemned souls just "disappear." This is a denial of the 2,000-year-old teaching of the Catholic Church about the reality of Hell and the eternal existence of the soul."

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/pope-francis-there-no-hell

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

So, is he telling Catholics to Eat, Drink and commit crimes, for there is no hell....?

This world is going to....'disappear'

:o :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

As one friend commented "Imagine all the payments to light candles for deceased ones in hell. But the people are too drunk to realize they were duped."  :drink:

The church needs to consider offering a "If not completely delighted" warranty on their doctrines. :devil2:

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

If you watch the comments at the bottom of that article they are coming in thick and fast, Catholics are really upset at this. Interesting thing is - for once they speak the truth and no-one is believing it.

1 minute ago, alohapaulette said:

That is the previous Pope Sister Paulette who resigned.

If you find the original article in the Canberra Times it predates this pope.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

If you watch the comments at the bottom of that article they are coming in thick and fast, Catholics are really upset at this. Interesting thing is - for once they speak the truth and no-one is believing it.

Perhaps he left some literature behind before doing so!

32 minutes ago, alohapaulette said:

Makes you wonder doesn't it?  I see they want him impeached in the comments. Maybe he and Trump might share a cell. Actually this could be quite nteresting.

Did he really say it - or is it a  misquote? That we need to confirm first before we get excited.

Edit: The Vatican is denying that this is in fact what the Pope said  (which they would deny either way) ... it's starting to be called 'Fake News' - so until we can confirm that this is something the Pope himself said -I urge caution.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

The writer may have taken liberty with his comments but most would agree that there seems to be a difference between burning forever vs. "disappearing."

"When asked where "bad souls" end up, according to the article in Thursday’s La Repubblica, Francis reportedly said that those who repent can be forgiven, but those who don't repent simply "disappear." 

And then came the four words heard 'round the world: "Hell does not exist," the article quoted the pope as saying. "The disappearance of sinful souls exists.”

The Vatican issued a statement after the comments spread like wildfire on social media, saying the pope never granted the interview and the story was "the result of (the reporter's) reconstruction,” not a “faithful transcription of the words of the Holy Father."

Scalfari, an atheist, is known for not using tape recorders or taking notes during interviews."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/03/29/did-pope-francis-say-there-no-hell-not-quite-vatican-insists/470442002/

It's not the first time the pope has hosed down hell fires..

There was a lot of discussion about hell in 1999, this is just one article. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/no-hell-pope-1.173448

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, carlos said:

This is very likely fake news.

The Vatican says the journalist twisted everything the Pope said. Who would believe that, a journalist twisting facts!

Maybe someone could sell him a handful of 'indulgences'.

I  know a guy,  that knows a guy,  that maybe knows another guy. 

Does the pope have any money?...

7 hours ago, Loje said:

The church needs to consider offering a "If not completely delighted" warranty on their doctrines. :devil2:

I pretty much barked out loud on this one, thanks for that. .>:D<

Now they’re back peddling and saying the journalist is wrong. The pope is saying he did not say that.  :shrugs:

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

Sadly they pay the priest weekly here to keep their dead ones out of purgatory... and if they feel they are in hell thorn they pay the priest to get them out of it!!

The priest is earning a tidy sum!!

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

9 hours ago, Tortuga said:

It's not the first time the pope has hosed down hell fires..

There was a lot of discussion about hell in 1999, this is just one article. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/no-hell-pope-1.173448

Yes, for a couple decades the Church has been distancing itself from the traditional view of hellfire and people suffering all kinds of unimaginable torments. I guess that view doesn't go well with the modern society, and people with common sense cannot harmonize hellfire with the concept of a loving God.

I think it was John Paul II that said that hell is the absence of God. Hellfire is symbolic, the punishment souls in hell suffer is being far from God's presence. It doesn't sound as too much of a punishment, since they have already been far from God all of their lives.

Of course, one thing is what theologians theorize at the Vatican, and a different thing is what the average priest teaches or the average believer believes.

2 hours ago, carlos said:

I think it was John Paul II that said that hell is the absence of God. Hellfire is symbolic, the punishment souls in hell suffer is being far from God's presence

That is what I remember from the articles that were posted nearly 20 years ago...

11 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Didn’t they change the doctrine of Limbo a few years back? 

*** g99 11/8 p. 28 Watching the World ***
No More Limbo?

Everybody not do the limbo...:D

This is very likely fake news.

The Vatican says the journalist twisted everything the Pope said. Who would believe that, a journalist twisting facts!

Journalists distorting facts is not as common as some politicians would want to make us believe. What is common though is for statements from the Vatican to be so vague you can read them any way you want to. Because the Pope is never wrong when acting in official capacity.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

47 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Journalists distorting facts is not as common as some politicians would want to make us believe. What is common though is for statements from the Vatican to be so vague you can read them any way you want to. Because the Pope is never wrong when acting in official capacity.

Not sure I agree. :innocent: I use to read two or three different newspapers and the way they report the news you would often think they are talking of different events. Every newspaper serves an agenda. In this case, the journalist knew that presenting the Pope saying there's no hell would cause quite a stir.

Not saying the part about the Vatican being vague is not true, though. :)

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Journalists distorting facts is not as common as some politicians would want to make us believe.

Well, the claims of politicians aren't anything new. Journalists have been reporting this way, really, since the Hearst era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism#Hearst_in_San_Francisco,_Pulitzer_in_New_York

In truth, papers telling the cold, hard truth by sticking to facts, don't sell. Truth isn't newsworthy. Scandal and sensationalism is.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)