JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Acrimony...

Yesterday I went to see Acrimony. I felt I had to, lol, for I just love my girl Taraji Henson. Everything she touches comes out on top. She ought to get an Emmy, an Oscar and every other award out there. 

I can't tell y'all how it ended, but let's just say it shocked most of us. 

But if you brothers are planning to see it, I think it's fair to tell you that the theater was filled with mostly women so be careful, very careful, lol :hammer:.

It's definitely a must see!

OK I'll be nice. Y'all heard of the expression "too little too late?"

Ok thats all you get.  

Edited by Luezette

4 hours ago, Luezette said:

But if you brothers are planning to see it, I think it's fair to tell you that the theater was filled with mostly women so be careful, very careful, lol

I just checked it out the trailer. It sounds like a chick-flick, so I am not surprised, lol.

26 minutes ago, JustLikeDorcas said:

Why would you Go see a rated R movie and then tell everyone else to go see it? 

This is a good question. On the one hand, what we choose to watch is a conscience matter. There is no "rule" that rated R movies are off limits. On the other hand, I would be very, VERY cautious when recommending a rated R movie to someone else.

I personally don't depend on the MPAA rating system. Sometimes a movie can be rated R here in the USA and no witnesses will watch it, and the same movie can be rated 14 by another countries rating system and almost every witness over there will have seen it. Instead, I prefer to check out https://www.commonsensemedia.org when making entertainment choices. It gives a good breakdown of what one can expect to find in a movie they are considering watching.

The Common Sense Media rating for Acrimony is 16+ and the full review is here:

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/acrimony

And with that, we leave it up to the conscience decision of others whether they will choose to watch it, while at the same time not passing judgment on those who have chosen to do so.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I know of a sister who, with her daughter, went to see Panthers (Lol. I'm probably leaving out a word but y'all know what it is). 

Now I couldn't see that because for one, the violent aspect of it. 

Two, during the 1960s I have history, with especially my mother, of being involved in the civil rights movement. She marched, we did also, I even wore Afros, etc even after baptism until a brother spoke with me (more like kept giving me that look, lol) watching something like Panthers I feel might bring  back those feelings and attitude. I mean, I'm not saying that I'm totally free of such, more like laden in the shadows. It's something like, to me, an alcoholic having to stay away from alcohol. Yet he/she is still an alcoholic and will be until this system ends.

We all have things to work on, some continuously such as myself. 

I apologize if I've stepped on some toes here with Acrimony. It wasn't my intention. Please forgive me. 

Edited by Luezette

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2018 at 2:37 PM, Luezette said:

I know of a sister who, with her daughter, went to see Panthers (Lol. I'm probably leaving out a word but y'all know what it is). 

Two, during the 1960s I have history, with especially my mother, of being involved in the civil rights movement. She marched, we did also, I even wore Afros, etc even after baptism until a brother spoke with me (more like kept giving me that look, lol) watching something like Panthers I feel might bring  back those feelings and attitude. I mean, I'm not saying that I'm totally free of such, more like laden in the shadows. It's something like, to me, an alcoholic having to stay away from alcohol. Yet he/she is still an alcoholic and will be until this system ends.

I apologize if I've stepped on some toes here with Acrimony. It wasn't my intention. Please forgive me. 

Sister Luezette, they could have left Black Panthers where it was at.  I did not see the hype about it, it just did not make since to me.

The world is goofy. Thanks for the site to help us make up our minds, brother. When I protest going to a R rated movie with my husband, he says they probably threw in a cuss word or two. No biggie. 

I’ve  sort of learned to look at the major theme of the movie, and some times I will see it down the road on tv. (Hoping it was cleaned up) 

i’m not hysterical about it, because I know some R rated movies are decent, but I don’t think going to a movie theater to see one is okay. (Will someone see me and think I’m a hypocrite?) plus there are certain things I just keep to myself. There are ones that would think I was next to falling out of the truth if they knew under whatever circumstances I saw an R rated movie. Each to his or her own! 

As I said, the world is goofy. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On 3/31/2018 at 12:37 PM, Luezette said:

"Black Panther" has NOTHING to do with the Black Panther movement of the 60s.. in no way, shape or form (even though the movement actually borrowed their name from the comic, not vice-versa).  None.  It's a superhero movie (and very well done, I might add) with no political leanings whatsoever.   IMO, it was less violent than most comic book movies I've seen.  I liked it a lot, saw it twice, bought the film score (I like African-based music) and will probably get the DVD.

Of course, to each his/her own.  I just wanted to clarify what "Black Panther" was about.  :) 

Yes this world standards are really screwy to say the least. In Canada you usually can say an R rated movie is relatively tame at least if there is no number with it. Like 14 R or 18R. Regular R is more or less adult theme with a few swear words in it. Sometimes you have to be careful because for some reason they will put a nude scene. Its easy to see what movies do and don't. I have seen some R rated movies and wonder why it was rated that way. Pretty stupid!

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

4 hours ago, Greg Dent said:

I have seen some R rated movies and wonder why it was rated that way. Pretty stupid!

I have been burned more often by PG-13 movies than the carefully selected R rated movies I've seen in my life.

That's why I have ditched the MPAA rating system and use https://www.commonsensemedia.org for researching and considering movies today.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:51 PM, Hope said:

"Black Panther" has NOTHING to do with the Black Panther movement of the 60s.. in no way, shape or form (even though the movement actually borrowed their name from the comic, not vice-versa).  None.  It's a superhero movie (and very well done, I might add) with no political leanings whatsoever.   IMO, it was less violent than most comic book movies I've seen.  I liked it a lot, saw it twice, bought the film score (I like African-based music) and will probably get the DVD.

Of course, to each his/her own.  I just wanted to clarify what "Black Panther" was about.  :) 

Thanks for the review sis, I think I will rent it from iTunes.

Edited by 1gemstone