JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

On 6/4/2018 at 7:59 PM, anniebea said:

I've kind of worked my way up to the Kiwi, I started off with a Ashford about 28 years ago and enjoyed it, then I sold it and bought a old handmade one, but then I got into core spinning yarn and the orifice was too small... so I sold that one and got the Kiwi. I have the jumbo flyer with it so I can use a mix... but to be honest I tend to spin thin so that I can knit it up easily. 

It's a bit of an addiction isn't it lol.

I'd love to see a photo of your wheel 

C91F0F6F-E475-428D-9255-28EA81D2B631.jpeg

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

12 minutes ago, normaclutter said:

Ooooo.. love your wheel and you dyeing is lovely. I washed, carded, spun and dyed. Just simple dyeing. 

So beautiful, I've just started botanical dyeing as well, but I can't speckle yarn doing that, and that's what sells most. 

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

3 minutes ago, anniebea said:

No we don't, but I've heard of people using it, you've got some great results with it!

Thanks. Would love to do botanical dyes, but I stretch myself too thin already, I just can't add anything else on my list of gottado's right now.

1 hour ago, normaclutter said:

Thanks. Would love to do botanical dyes, but I stretch myself too thin already, I just can't add anything else on my list of gottado's right now.

I know that feeling, I could do with another 12 hours added to each day... Or more energy 😂

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

You girls are amazing! What you do is so far from what I can do. I love the colors, the textures. I wish I could live near Annie so I could get a sweater and mittens. And Norma....my friend...I'd just love to live near you for a whole host of reasons! Keep it up, maybe you can teach me in the NS.💖

My hobby lately is the garden, have enough growing to process for the winter and to share with friends. Also I had some white knitted panels for a quilt- it was awful so I took it all out and wound the yarn into 7 BIG balls. I want to take those balls and make granny squares during the summer evenings when I sit by the garden and listen to smooth jazz. Then I can put them together for an afghan for my bed. Good hobby, relaxing.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 3:17 PM, Katty said:

I like to draw and paint a lot.

You are very good! ..that is some nice, um, I hesitate to call it work, because it's a hobby, but that is very nicely done. 

If I tried that it would rate a magnet stuck on the refrigerator along with the grandkids efforts...😨

I especially like the turtles, they kinda remind me of someone ---:whistling:

Edited by tekmantwo

On 6/6/2018 at 10:27 AM, normaclutter said:

C91F0F6F-E475-428D-9255-28EA81D2B631.jpeg

So, this feeds directly off the cat?...Amazing! That is a well trained feline!..

How hard is it to change colors? Do you just keep the cats in a box or are there 'free range' colors? Do the neighborhood cats visit often?

My Miss Kitty would extract a heavy toll if I were to attempt that,  I can barely scritch her tummy without bleeding for it...

On 6/6/2018 at 11:42 AM, normaclutter said:

believe it or not... kool aide.  Do you have kool aide drink mix there?

Ok, serious question : do the colors wash out fairly easily?  I have never heard of using kool aid as a dye.

How did you learn about that? How do you do it, procedure or process wise?..

I remember years ago my first wife tried her hand with tie dyed tee shirts, with limited success but significant mess.

On 6/6/2018 at 10:35 AM, anniebea said:

Oh your wheel is beautiful !!! Did you spin the yarn? That's amazing..

I dye yarn for a living..  

CameraZOOM-20180603195936440.jpg

Sis Annie, those are beautiful colors. Blue is my favorite of colors, more of an electric blue for me but yours are very easy on the eye.

I'm curious about your techniques as well.  I am assuming that the variance in color in places is intentionally done, how do you do that? (hope I'm not prying too hard,  you've piqued my interest) 

6 hours ago, Katty said:

Here's another one. Working a lot harder than in the past on the skill of portrait art and getting it right. It's not easy.
image.png.01f23e595e8443f039d72fdc40606b07.png

I find the colors so mesmerizing. 👀

Portraits are hard. I have done a few. Pencil is my favorite. Yours is coming along nicely!!

3 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Ok, serious question : do the colors wash out fairly easily?  I have never heard of using kool aid as a dye.

How did you learn about that? How do you do it, procedure or process wise?..

I remember years ago my first wife tried her hand with tie dyed tee shirts, with limited success but significant mess.

The kool aid packs have citric acid in them which makes it colorfast. It doesn’t wash out. It may fade a bit if subjected to direct sunlight over an extended  period of time, but many dyed things do that. I learned just from online research. I spin first then I dye. Some dye the prepped wool then spin. I felt it made it harder to spin. But you can get more variation in color that way. The dyeing i do is very low tech. 

3 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

So, this feeds directly off the cat?...Amazing! That is a well trained feline!..

How hard is it to change colors? Do you just keep the cats in a box or are there 'free range' colors? Do the neighborhood cats visit often?

My Miss Kitty would extract a heavy toll if I were to attempt that,  I can barely scritch her tummy without bleeding for it...

😂😂😂😂😂😂. So far I can only do orange white and gray. But never at the same time cause they kinda get mad. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, back to the afghans.  

These are the 2 I’m working on now. 

Taking a a break from using the upchuck colors.....green and yellow. [Green Bay Packers]   (Ross came up with that) 😁😁😁😁

Im making that for Ross’ husband. 

The blue and white is for a sweetheart of an elderly sister that drives an hour and 10 minutes one way 😳😳😳😳 for meeting and service. 

I don’t think the picture does the blue color justice. 

I already gave a brother his Packer blanket and he was in tears he loved it so much. 

EEA96A70-3663-43CA-8457-82C173D05D17.jpeg

54B25845-8AEB-433A-9B03-DDF4EF7B089E.jpeg

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

You would want an afghan that is all white?   😁😁😁😁

I’d make any of the friends an afghan

What is your favorite color(s)?   

Edited by Loopy

OOOOHHHH!!! Really?? OMGoodness, I'm all over that!

All white is good, unless you have a suggestion of another complementary color to add to the top and bottom. Something very subtle.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Maybe like a soft blue or lavender. Something like that? 

No favorite color of yours to put on the ends? 

No need to send any white. I always try to keep a lot of skeins around the house as white is usually in all the blankets.   😁😁😁

Now it will be a while before I can get it even started okay?  

I’ll let you know when I get it started. 

Gotta put you on my afghan list.  😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁